Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R10 Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   H8tank

H8tank

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

I have an R10 in the bedroom on an SD tube, it stopped seeing the sat signal, I moved it to another room, same thing. So I assume the tuner died.

I don't need Hi-Def, and would prefer not to mess with Directv for a replacement (unless someone tells me that would be a better idea than what I am considering)

I have a HR24 in the living room, and am very happy with it.

This tivo I replaced the Harddrive in a few years ago, I can buy a used R10 off ebay for about $30 with an 80GB, if I do this, I can just swap my harddrive and it works?

Since this i a 160GB with 4yrs on it, can I GHOST the 160 to a new 160 or even 320GB, install and work outa the box?

Does 'ghosting' the HardDrive copy over everything the tivo needs to work? This HD was prepared via instacake and has worked just fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

If you are not opposed to being on a 2-year contract (I assume you are NOT currently) why would you not just call D* & see what they have to offer you? Since you already have an HR24, why would you want to keep screwing around with old stuff (even if that TV is ONLY SD) when most likely they'll GIVE you a new one & install it FREE??? :confused:
And, since you already have HD access, & while I understand right now you only have an SDTV, when it dies &/or if you come accross a good deal on a new HDTV, you'd be all ready for it!

(psst, you CAN still watch HD channels on an SDTV & they'll look WAY better even on it than those crappy SD channels...)

#3 OFFLINE   H8tank

H8tank

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

If you are not opposed to being on a 2-year contract (I assume you are NOT currently) why would you not just call D* & see what they have to offer you? Since you already have an HR24, why would you want to keep screwing around with old stuff

If I could be guaranteed an HR24, great. But I don't want a refurbed HR22, and no, I would prefer not to be under contract. Gives me better leverage when negotiating the NFL ticket next year.

Unless things have changed, I had a heck of a time getting an HR24 last time, granted that was 2 years ago.

#4 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

You might want to post your question over at www.tivocommunity.com. They are more focused on the tivo platform. I don't have enough tivo experience to answer your question, but I am certain that your recordings won't transfer over if you move your drive over (due to how DirecTV security encryption works). The drive may well work in the other Tivo, but you'll lose your recordings with the move.

You'll also have to get a new access card (cost about $20) from DirecTV if you buy a used DVR someplace else.

#5 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

If I could be guaranteed an HR24, great. But I don't want a refurbed HR22, and no, I would prefer not to be under contract. Gives me better leverage when negotiating the NFL ticket next year.

Unless things have changed, I had a heck of a time getting an HR24 last time, granted that was 2 years ago.

Well a way you might be able to guarantee a (FREE) HR24 - call D* & explain this to them & ask them if you purchase it yourself from a dealer, then when you call them to activate it, can they credit the purchase price to your account. (make sure you take notes of who you talked to, dates/times, etc.) I've done this myself a couple times & while they may spread it out over a few months, you get the same result in the end & still get exactly the receiver you want.
Yea, you would be on another 2-year contract, but again, it's FREE...

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

This tivo I replaced the Harddrive in a few years ago, I can buy a used R10 off ebay for about $30 with an 80GB, if I do this, I can just swap my harddrive and it works?

Since this i a 160GB with 4yrs on it, can I GHOST the 160 to a new 160 or even 320GB, install and work outa the box?

Does 'ghosting' the HardDrive copy over everything the tivo needs to work? This HD was prepared via instacake and has worked just fine.

You can't just swap the drives and preserve your existing recordings. Check out these resources if you want to upgrade the drive and transfer your existing recordings and settings ....

http://www.tivocommu...p?s=&forumid=25

http://www.weaknees.com/index.html

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/

http://www.mfslive.org/

http://www.newreleas...insdale-how-to/

http://www.dvrupgrad...instantcake.cfm

http://www.9thtee.com/
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   H8tank

H8tank

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

You can't just swap the drives and preserve your existing recordings.

Don't really care about the recordings, I would just prefer to have the bigger, newer better harddrive, but don't want to mess with instacaking it again.

So, swap HD, works but no recordings/settings, or swap HD and it won't work period?

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

So, swap HD, works but no recordings/settings, or swap HD and it won't work period?

You should be able to swap the drives, perform a "Clear and Delete Everything", perform the Guided Setup, and then be good to go. Note that you'll need a phone line for that Guided Setup process.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...