Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Channel 8888?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dbalone

dbalone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Twice today Channel 8888 shows up in my To Do List to be recorded. It was there early this morning and just showed up again. It does not appear to be recording anything and says System in the Info. I cannot delete it. Anyone know what it is?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

I haven't seen it myself, but a couple weeks ago someone I know did see an entry in the To Do list for channel 8888. The name of the item recording had something to do with NFL Sunday Ticket (a preview or something). It actually appeared twice in a span of a few days, and each time the given start time of the program was already past (early morning hours).

As for what it is, I have no idea.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

You cant use it, it's a system service (actually VC, ie virtual channel):
"ADDX Ad PUSH Test on VC 8888."
"Ad PUSH (Test) Channel 8888"

#4 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Sounds like the channel that will be used for the "local commercials" project that's going on -- I.e., local commercials for your area will be recorded and played back over national commercials on certain channels.

#5 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

Sounds like the channel that will be used for the "local commercials" project that's going on -- I.e., local commercials for your area will be recorded and played back over national commercials on certain channels.

Makes sense. I know D* has been wanting to do local ads during commercial breaks for some time now. This is an area where cable has had a major advantage over satellite.

#6 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

Makes sense. I know D* has been wanting to do local ads during commercial breaks for some time now. This is an area where cable has had a major advantage over satellite.

What makes you think that cable co's won't soon do the same thing?

#7 OFFLINE   dbalone

dbalone

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

This morning it was channel 8889 set to record in my To Do List. You cannot delete or see what it is. Both from yesterday disappeared.

I was mostly concerned that it may mess up my To Do List. With all the new shows starting this week I do not want them messed with.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Cable companies do the same thing. That's why it is an advantage, they make money off it. DirecTV is starting to do it, too.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

I don't think you understood. Cable companies have had an advantage over satellite because they have been able to run local advertising on national cable channels for a very long time (at least 20 years). The networks have local breaks embedded in their commercial breaks. They send a signal which tells the cable operators to insert local advertising. Since each cable system only covers a small geographic area, they can easily insert different ads at different locations, allowing local businesses to advertise on national cable channels. This is a big money maker for cable operators.

DirecTV cannot do this, because the same signal goes to everyone in the country. They have no way to send different commercials to different geographic regions. Therefore, the only ads they can run during local breaks are their own (i.e. commercials advertising DirecTV Cinema and other features). They cannot sell these spots to local advertisers, so they lose out on the money the cable operators can make with these local breaks.

DirecTV is looking to change that, at least with DVR's. The idea is to send out local advertising to each DVR in advance, then have the DVR play back the ad when the local ad signal is sent by the TV channel. DVR's will be configured so that only ads intended for the user's DMA will be saved to the drive. This way, people in different parts of the country will see different ads, something that to this point has not been possible.

#10 OFFLINE   chapel

chapel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

this is the same thing mine is doing tonight, but on Channel 8887 instead.
I was hoping it was the HD GUI..

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

I don't think you understood. Cable companies have had an advantage over satellite because they have been able to run local advertising on national cable channels for a very long time (at least 20 years). The networks have local breaks embedded in their commercial breaks. They send a signal which tells the cable operators to insert local advertising. Since each cable system only covers a small geographic area, they can easily insert different ads at different locations, allowing local businesses to advertise on national cable channels. This is a big money maker for cable operators.

DirecTV cannot do this, because the same signal goes to everyone in the country. They have no way to send different commercials to different geographic regions. Therefore, the only ads they can run during local breaks are their own (i.e. commercials advertising DirecTV Cinema and other features). They cannot sell these spots to local advertisers, so they lose out on the money the cable operators can make with these local breaks.

DirecTV is looking to change that, at least with DVR's. The idea is to send out local advertising to each DVR in advance, then have the DVR play back the ad when the local ad signal is sent by the TV channel. DVR's will be configured so that only ads intended for the user's DMA will be saved to the drive. This way, people in different parts of the country will see different ads, something that to this point has not been possible.

But why don't they have regional add's on the RSN channels for the directv spots? The RSN's do have there own local ad's spots.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#12 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Software downloads will just happen, usually at 2 or 3 in the morning. What you are seeing is pushed content that is stored on the restricted area of teh hard drive
My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

But why don't they have regional add's on the RSN channels for the directv spots? The RSN's do have there own local ad's spots.

First, my previous post was a response to the poster before you. Second, my guess with the RSNs is that they are distributed nationally with the right package and there could be advertising right issues for local spots
My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Software downloads will just happen, usually at 2 or 3 in the morning. What you are seeing is pushed content that is stored on the restricted area of teh hard drive

SW download usually happening 24/7 - see logs at www.redh.com/dtv.
New staggered NR versions coming between midnight and 4am PDT.

What you mean "just happen" ? Version ? Target ?

#15 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

SW download usually happening 24/7 - see logs at www.redh.com/dtv.
New staggered NR versions coming between midnight and 4am PDT.

What you mean "just happen" ? Version ? Target ?

I was referring to pushed NR updates as to the time, I am aware that it is available in the stream 24/7.

By 'just happen' I mean there is no advance notice in the ToDo list or anything like that, one morning you wake up and there is a new version loaded.
My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

there is no provision in ToDo list for that (yet) future FW DL
have you seen it before or just wishing ?

#17 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

I was responding to chapel's post that he saw a todo listing for a content push and was hoping it was the HDGUI. I am quite aware that it is not shown in the ToDo list, that is what I was trying to explain.

BTW, there is a Scheduled Upgrade field in the System info/More system info screen but I have never seen a date in it.
My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

So far, all the FW announcements in a stream has 1hr duration of DL window;
no one seen the value was filled, so perhaps if you'll lucky if you could catch this screen right before update or less then one hour [if DTV is using it]...

#19 OFFLINE   chapel

chapel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

I was responding to chapel's post that he saw a todo listing for a content push and was hoping it was the HDGUI. I am quite aware that it is not shown in the ToDo list, that is what I was trying to explain.

BTW, there is a Scheduled Upgrade field in the System info/More system info screen but I have never seen a date in it.

that's what I thought.
Firmware normally just 'happens'. I'd never seen these things in ToDo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...