Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish/Blockbuster announcement coming Friday

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

As reported on Todd Spangler's Multichannel News blog, Dish Network CEO Joe Clayton and Blockbuster president Michael Kelly will host a press conference at San Francisco’s Clift Hotel this Friday. The event is titled "A Stream Come True". Hmm.

Go read it! http://www.multichan..._Come_True_.php
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

I think the recent Netflix debacle (dumping the DVD side) plays into what's going on with Dish and Blockbuster. Streaming is said to be the future, DVD's will go the way of VHS. EHD's will become the masses new library......or so it seems.
...time marches on.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

It would be great to see Dish do something with the Blockbuster purchase, and at the same time I (like so many others) am suddenly considering alternatives to Netflix and Quckstep (sic.)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

I think the recent Netflix debacle (dumping the DVD side) plays into what's going on with Dish and Blockbuster. Streaming is said to be the future, DVD's will go the way of VHS. EHD's will become the masses new library......or so it seems.
...time marches on.

Two things. 1 Netflix didn't dump the DVD side, they divided the streaming & disc services. 2 It's a damn shame streaming is the future since it results in lower audio and picture quality that can't be matched on discs. Also, our national internet infrastructure is so pathetic that we can't handle good streaming.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   gpollock87

gpollock87

Legend

• No PM's
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

i hope we will be able to stream with our receivers

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Two things. 1 Netflix didn't dump the DVD side, they divided the streaming & disc services. 2 It's a damn shame streaming is the future since it results in lower audio and picture quality that can't be matched on discs. Also, our national internet infrastructure is so pathetic that we can't handle good streaming.

Target in my area has hundreds of DVDS on the shelves. But I agree streaming is bad.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

Well my experience with streaming from Netflix is that it looks very good. I'd also say that what I've watched was HD and looked as good as the Original broadcasts did but without the censored channel bugs.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Well my experience with streaming from Netflix is that it looks very good. I'd also say that what I've watched was HD and looked as good as the Original broadcasts did but without the censored channel bugs.

I didn't say it wasn't good. However, a BluRay will look and sound better. For example, the movie The Thin Red Line was on Netflix streaming and it was really good. The BR version was phenomenal and considered reference quality...it blows away the streaming version.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have to agree with Sigma1914, streaming isnt bad but when you want top notch quality you cant beat a physical disc.
And with decent DSL infrastructures only being available with in city limits streaming isnt an option for a good chunk of the populate whos only alternative for "ok" internet is internet via satellite which isnt that "ok" at all.

#10 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

You are sort of right about the DVD thing...at least at the moment...Netfix has not sold the DVD part yet, looks like it's in the mix though.

http://blogs.barrons...echtraderdaily/
Thank you and
Best of luck

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,884 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

I like streaming as an option... not as a replacement for anything.

I also hope physical media never goes away.

The first time your internet is down or their streaming server is down or they corrupt your account permissions or any number of things... and you can't watch a movie... when I can pull out a Blu-ray and watch... Also, the idea of all your movies being on hard drives.. I've lost count of the number of people just on this forum who have lost movies (including myself) from their DVR or hard drive when it crashed... but again my Blu-rays and DVDs are still right there on the shelf.

Now... I can see DVD/Blu-ray being replaced by something else... maybe even cheap (some day) SDROM... but not going away.

I'm curious to see what Dish/Blockbuster will roll out here. Part of me thinks it would be very smart to tie their streaming along with Dish so that each business helps the other.

Also nice would be if we could stream to our existing Dish DVRs... though I don't know if all of them would be capable of doing that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

Edited by Inkosaurus, 11 November 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

With upscaling capability on my Blu Ray with wi-fi, the picture quality of streaming appears to be as clean or cleaner than a DVD. Just my opinion. The unfortunate dilemna is that after years of grooming viewers to using the internet for video streaming, the ISPs come up with this usage capping. Put the latter aside, VOD via a Blue Ray is convenient and very suitable quality to addict me.
"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

#14 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

I like streaming as an option... not as a replacement for anything.

I also hope physical media never goes away.

The first time your internet is down or their streaming server is down or they corrupt your account permissions or any number of things... and you can't watch a movie... when I can pull out a Blu-ray and watch... Also, the idea of all your movies being on hard drives.. I've lost count of the number of people just on this forum who have lost movies (including myself) from their DVR or hard drive when it crashed... but again my Blu-rays and DVDs are still right there on the shelf.

Now... I can see DVD/Blu-ray being replaced by something else... maybe even cheap (some day) SDROM... but not going away.

I'm curious to see what Dish/Blockbuster will roll out here. Part of me thinks it would be very smart to tie their streaming along with Dish so that each business helps the other.

Also nice would be if we could stream to our existing Dish DVRs... though I don't know if all of them would be capable of doing that.

Couldn't agree more.

#15 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Lets just hope they are price competitive with netflix streaming. $ 8 month for unlimited streaming is hard to beat. It Dish makes it like there PPV, I can say it won't happen in my household. I can go to redbox for $ 1 a pop anytime.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,884 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

Lets just hope they are price competitive with netflix streaming. $ 8 month for unlimited streaming is hard to beat. It Dish makes it like there PPV, I can say it won't happen in my household. I can go to redbox for $ 1 a pop anytime.

Agree with one caveat... I think it should be $5 or less IF you are a Dish subscriber. Give a bone to Dish subscribers to entice new customers to try Dish and for existing customers to try their streaming.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#17 OFFLINE   vahighland

vahighland

Cool Member/Supporter

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

Agree with one caveat... I think it should be $5 or less IF you are a Dish subscriber. Give a bone to Dish subscribers to entice new customers to try Dish and for existing customers to try their streaming.

And it should be even less for 922 owners who are paying $5 more.

#18 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

I recently canceled Netflix by mail and for the same price I'm with Blockbuster by mail. I like it better. For 1 you can take a DVD you get via mail and then trade it for a DVD in a store. Then return that to the store and your next DVD is sent. And the times I have done that by the time I get home I have an email telling me the DVD has shipped. I received one yesterday and almost as the postman was driving off I got an email offering to let me keep it if I like it for $4.95. A blu-ray too. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Friday announcement. Even if the streaming is the same cost as Netflix it will be very tempting. Depending on how many devices I can stream on.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#19 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

I find it interesting that they're making the annoucement in Netflix's backyard (SF---Los Gatos). It will be interesting to see how the annoucement plays out, will they be offering streaming to Dish customers or will this be a full fledge service going to iOS, PC, gaming machines, Roku, Boxee, etc.

#20 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

I can already stream movies from my 722k,did it yesterday through TV Shows/Networks/Starz.Watched The Runaways,it started in HD,switched to SD.
Did not start immediately it had to build up content.I have AT&T DSL Elite 6MB down,764K up.:(

On the other hand since Starz access is leaving Netflix,it would be good if they went with BlockBuster and Dish Network since I heard that the Disney movies will premiere on Starz.;)

Looks like after my 1 year of Free Starz,I will subscribe.:)

I also have NetFlix and have no problems streaming in HD.:confused:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...