Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish/Blockbuster announcement coming Friday

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

I like streaming as an option... not as a replacement for anything.

I also hope physical media never goes away.

The first time your internet is down or their streaming server is down or they corrupt your account permissions or any number of things... and you can't watch a movie... when I can pull out a Blu-ray and watch... Also, the idea of all your movies being on hard drives.. I've lost count of the number of people just on this forum who have lost movies (including myself) from their DVR or hard drive when it crashed... but again my Blu-rays and DVDs are still right there on the shelf.

Now... I can see DVD/Blu-ray being replaced by something else... maybe even cheap (some day) SDROM... but not going away.

I'm curious to see what Dish/Blockbuster will roll out here. Part of me thinks it would be very smart to tie their streaming along with Dish so that each business helps the other.

Also nice would be if we could stream to our existing Dish DVRs... though I don't know if all of them would be capable of doing that.

I believe it will be a long while before we see anything beat the 1080p/24 from BluRay.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

Next question would be if they (Dish) has already wrote the download program to be able to do this with there Dish Receivers. Or will we need a separate box to do this? This may be a case of the Logitec Google box being needed to do the streaming.

#23 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

A couple of my devices currently have the Blockbuster on demand app. Seems like an update could add streaming.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#24 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

You are sort of right about the DVD thing...at least at the moment...Netfix has not sold the DVD part yet, looks like it's in the mix though.

http://blogs.barrons...echtraderdaily/

Netflix DVD is now under Quickster, seperate from Netflix streaming.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I can already stream movies from my 722k,did it yesterday through TV Shows/Networks/Starz.Watched The Runaways,it started in HD,switched to SD.
Did not start immediately it had to build up content.I have AT&T DSL Elite 6MB down,764K up.:(

Semantics... but it really isn't streaming in the way most people think of it.

It sort of is and sort of isn't... Technically speaking it probably meets the definition of streaming... but it isn't as clean and you can't start watching as soon as most are used to with a service like Netflix...

The big thing, to me, with Dish is their slow download times. I have an 18Mbps connection but never get anywhere near that. When I used to have 6Mbps, I never saw more than 2 via Dish downloads... I know it is faster now, but nowhere near my capacity.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#26 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

I find it interesting that they're making the annoucement in Netflix's backyard (SF---Los Gatos). It will be interesting to see how the annoucement plays out, will they be offering streaming to Dish customers or will this be a full fledge service going to iOS, PC, gaming machines, Roku, Boxee, etc.

My Western Digital Media Player does BlockBuster, Never used it yet. I'm hoping Dish doesn't break it and makes it worth doing.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#27 OFFLINE   biz

biz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

I've been wondering if my blu ray player which has Netflix (and MLB, and other options) could get BB with a software upgrade?

#28 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Semantics... but it really isn't streaming in the way most people think of it.

It sort of is and sort of isn't... Technically speaking it probably meets the definition of streaming... but it isn't as clean and you can't start watching as soon as most are used to with a service like Netflix...

The big thing, to me, with Dish is their slow download times. I have an 18Mbps connection but never get anywhere near that. When I used to have 6Mbps, I never saw more than 2 via Dish downloads... I know it is faster now, but nowhere near my capacity.

Yea my problem is my speeds are already the highest I can get in my area,hopefully Dish Network will be able to get the speeds up on their wireless network.:)

#29 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

And it should be even less for 922 owners who are paying $5 more.

I thought the $6. DVR fee for the 922 was $10.,which would make it $4.?:confused:

#30 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

A couple of my devices currently have the Blockbuster on demand app. Seems like an update could add streaming.

Yea my new HDTV has it.:)

#31 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

I've been wondering if my blu ray player which has Netflix (and MLB, and other options) could get BB with a software upgrade?

My Costco Vizio's last s/w update this summer installed BB.

We'll see if this has any relation to the Dish announcement. I have my doubts.

MLB net without the alternate feed has disappoint.

#32 OFFLINE   vahighland

vahighland

Cool Member/Supporter

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

I thought the $6. DVR fee for the 922 was $10.,which would make it $4.?:confused:

Yup, you're right. I was thinking that 722 owners were paying $5, but they are indeed paying $6/month.

#33 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

On Facebook last night there was a HomeTheaterReview post that said DISH/Blockbuster would offer streaming as we expected. However, it also said that some streaming would be available in 1080p!
http://www.hdtvetc.c...80p-content.php

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

What a lousy stream.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#35 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

http://www.dishnetwo...&WT.mc_ev=click

DISH Network is proud to introduce Blockbuster Movie Pass, exclusively for DISH subscribers. Available on 10/1, with Blockbuster Movie Pass you can get thousands of titles streamed to your TV and computer and over 100,000 movies, TV shows, and games by mail. Go to http://bit.ly/ruo7bA to learn more!

#36 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

It sure would be a major coup if Blockbuster ended up getting the Starz streaming contract.

#37 OFFLINE   joetekcor

joetekcor

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Has anyone mentioned which receivers will work with the streaming feature? If I have to pay to upgrade to the latest receivers in order to make use of this it isn't going to do me much good. Now if blockbuster will branch out to other devices, such as Roku or iPad, then they might have a winner!

#38 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

The Blockbuster Movie Pass sounds very enticing, It will include 20 new channels and streaming to tv or pc. Big question is how much will it cost?

#39 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Here's a bit more from Techcrunch with pricing info:

http://techcrunch.co...x-and-qwikster/

#40 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,903 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

The service will launch October 1. Existing Dish subscribers can sign up for the package for an additional $10 a month. New customers who sign up for Dish's America's Top 200 package for $39.99 a month get access to the service for a year.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com.../#ixzz1YnlltFjw
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

spam firewall