Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish/Blockbuster announcement coming Friday

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

I find it interesting that they're making the annoucement in Netflix's backyard (SF---Los Gatos). It will be interesting to see how the annoucement plays out, will they be offering streaming to Dish customers or will this be a full fledge service going to iOS, PC, gaming machines, Roku, Boxee, etc.

My Western Digital Media Player does BlockBuster, Never used it yet. I'm hoping Dish doesn't break it and makes it worth doing.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   biz

biz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

I've been wondering if my blu ray player which has Netflix (and MLB, and other options) could get BB with a software upgrade?

#28 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Semantics... but it really isn't streaming in the way most people think of it.

It sort of is and sort of isn't... Technically speaking it probably meets the definition of streaming... but it isn't as clean and you can't start watching as soon as most are used to with a service like Netflix...

The big thing, to me, with Dish is their slow download times. I have an 18Mbps connection but never get anywhere near that. When I used to have 6Mbps, I never saw more than 2 via Dish downloads... I know it is faster now, but nowhere near my capacity.

Yea my problem is my speeds are already the highest I can get in my area,hopefully Dish Network will be able to get the speeds up on their wireless network.:)

#29 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

And it should be even less for 922 owners who are paying $5 more.

I thought the $6. DVR fee for the 922 was $10.,which would make it $4.?:confused:

#30 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

A couple of my devices currently have the Blockbuster on demand app. Seems like an update could add streaming.

Yea my new HDTV has it.:)

#31 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

I've been wondering if my blu ray player which has Netflix (and MLB, and other options) could get BB with a software upgrade?

My Costco Vizio's last s/w update this summer installed BB.

We'll see if this has any relation to the Dish announcement. I have my doubts.

MLB net without the alternate feed has disappoint.

#32 OFFLINE   vahighland

vahighland

Cool Member/Supporter

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

I thought the $6. DVR fee for the 922 was $10.,which would make it $4.?:confused:

Yup, you're right. I was thinking that 722 owners were paying $5, but they are indeed paying $6/month.

#33 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

On Facebook last night there was a HomeTheaterReview post that said DISH/Blockbuster would offer streaming as we expected. However, it also said that some streaming would be available in 1080p!
http://www.hdtvetc.c...80p-content.php

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

What a lousy stream.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#35 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

http://www.dishnetwo...&WT.mc_ev=click

DISH Network is proud to introduce Blockbuster Movie Pass, exclusively for DISH subscribers. Available on 10/1, with Blockbuster Movie Pass you can get thousands of titles streamed to your TV and computer and over 100,000 movies, TV shows, and games by mail. Go to http://bit.ly/ruo7bA to learn more!

#36 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

It sure would be a major coup if Blockbuster ended up getting the Starz streaming contract.

#37 OFFLINE   joetekcor

joetekcor

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Has anyone mentioned which receivers will work with the streaming feature? If I have to pay to upgrade to the latest receivers in order to make use of this it isn't going to do me much good. Now if blockbuster will branch out to other devices, such as Roku or iPad, then they might have a winner!

#38 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

The Blockbuster Movie Pass sounds very enticing, It will include 20 new channels and streaming to tv or pc. Big question is how much will it cost?

#39 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Here's a bit more from Techcrunch with pricing info:

http://techcrunch.co...x-and-qwikster/

#40 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

The service will launch October 1. Existing Dish subscribers can sign up for the package for an additional $10 a month. New customers who sign up for Dish's America's Top 200 package for $39.99 a month get access to the service for a year.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com.../#ixzz1YnlltFjw
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#41 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,258 posts

For $10 you get the 20 Dish Platinum channels plus BB one-at-time discs by mail with in-store exchange and 5,000 streaming titles to TV and more streaming titles to PC. So when you sub to Dish Platinum, they're essentially throwing in BB lowest sub plan for free. Not a bad deal for Dish subs.

#42 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

The Blockbuster Movie Pass sounds very enticing, It will include 20 new channels and streaming to tv or pc. Big question is how much will it cost?

From the press release:

Beginning Oct. 1, 2011, Blockbuster Movie Pass is available for DISH Network customers, starting at $10 per month, combining the best of TV with the best of movies and games. It features a pay TV industry first: a subscription streaming movie service bundle available on the TV or PC. This programming package is unmatched by any other cable, satellite, telco or online streaming movie service.

Blockbuster Movie Pass includes the following:

Mail It! — More than 100,000 DVD movies, TV shows and games available by mail. No additional charge for high definition Blu-ray™ movies. One, two or three disc plans available. Queue management made conveniently from a link at www.dish.com.
Stream it! — Stream more than 3,000 movies to the TV. Stream more than 4,000 movies to the PC. Watch hundreds of on-demand TV shows.
Play it! — More than 3,000 video games by mail for XBOX®, XBOX 360®, Playstation2™, Playstation3™, and Nintendo Wii™.
Exchange it! — Unlimited exchanges of DVDs and video games at participating Blockbuster stores.
Watch it! — More than 20 premium entertainment movie channels from studios like MGM, Epix, Sony Movie Channel, PixL and more.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#43 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Awesome Chris thanks, 10 bucks a month sounds reasonable. I presume I will need to get some sort of sling set up to watch on my PC.

#44 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Here is the full press release:

http://dish.client.s...eleaseID=607878

#45 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Blockbuster's 1-disc at a time plan was already $10/month. I guess now current Dish subs get the 1-disc plan and Dish Platinum for $10/month. New subs get it free for a year. Not a big deal, IMO. They could've offered more.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#46 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

I think that's a heck of a deal.

For ten bucks a month, I get DISH Platinum, AND I get a one-out at a time service that includes no additional charge for Blu-Ray AND games?

[Billy Mays]BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE.[/Billy Mays]

I also get access to a streaming service that already has 3,000 titles? 3,000 titles for a streaming startup isn't bad at all, and I'm sure they'll be beefing that up SUPER FAST.

What is this and how do I replace my blood with it?

Dish is freaking genius in doing this, and it's only going to get better. Of course I know there's going to be nit-pickers and naysayers. There always is, but this is awesome, and nothing changes that.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#47 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

I already use Blockbuster by mail. I hope that account can be transferred so I don't lose my queue.

They are saying watch on TV or PC but nothing on mobile devices. Hopefully those will be added soon.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#48 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

as soon as they come out with a mobile device app like netflix's ,i am cancelling my netflix account

#49 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

From the press release:

Beginning Oct. 1, 2011, Blockbuster Movie Pass is available for DISH Network customers, starting at $10 per month, combining the best of TV with the best of movies and games. It features a pay TV industry first: a subscription streaming movie service bundle available on the TV or PC. This programming package is unmatched by any other cable, satellite, telco or online streaming movie service.

Blockbuster Movie Pass includes the following:

Mail It! — More than 100,000 DVD movies, TV shows and games available by mail. No additional charge for high definition Blu-ray™ movies. One, two or three disc plans available. Queue management made conveniently from a link at www.dish.com.
Stream it! — Stream more than 3,000 movies to the TV. Stream more than 4,000 movies to the PC. Watch hundreds of on-demand TV shows.
Play it! — More than 3,000 video games by mail for XBOX®, XBOX 360®, Playstation2™, Playstation3™, and Nintendo Wii™.
Exchange it! — Unlimited exchanges of DVDs and video games at participating Blockbuster stores.
Watch it! — More than 20 premium entertainment movie channels from studios like MGM, Epix, Sony Movie Channel, PixL and more.

So all I need is Platiimum to get this?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#50 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

So all I need is Platiimum to get this?

That's how I read it. I have Platinum now so I guess I'm set. I'll cancel my BB 1 out at a time I now have. Pretty good deal for me. 2 things I currently pay $20 for will only cost $10 plus some streaming thrown in. I like it.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...