Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish/Blockbuster announcement coming Friday

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

For $10 you get the 20 Dish Platinum channels plus BB one-at-time discs by mail with in-store exchange and 5,000 streaming titles to TV and more streaming titles to PC. So when you sub to Dish Platinum, they're essentially throwing in BB lowest sub plan for free. Not a bad deal for Dish subs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

The Blockbuster Movie Pass sounds very enticing, It will include 20 new channels and streaming to tv or pc. Big question is how much will it cost?

From the press release:

Beginning Oct. 1, 2011, Blockbuster Movie Pass is available for DISH Network customers, starting at $10 per month, combining the best of TV with the best of movies and games. It features a pay TV industry first: a subscription streaming movie service bundle available on the TV or PC. This programming package is unmatched by any other cable, satellite, telco or online streaming movie service.

Blockbuster Movie Pass includes the following:

Mail It! — More than 100,000 DVD movies, TV shows and games available by mail. No additional charge for high definition Blu-ray™ movies. One, two or three disc plans available. Queue management made conveniently from a link at www.dish.com.
Stream it! — Stream more than 3,000 movies to the TV. Stream more than 4,000 movies to the PC. Watch hundreds of on-demand TV shows.
Play it! — More than 3,000 video games by mail for XBOX®, XBOX 360®, Playstation2™, Playstation3™, and Nintendo Wii™.
Exchange it! — Unlimited exchanges of DVDs and video games at participating Blockbuster stores.
Watch it! — More than 20 premium entertainment movie channels from studios like MGM, Epix, Sony Movie Channel, PixL and more.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#43 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Awesome Chris thanks, 10 bucks a month sounds reasonable. I presume I will need to get some sort of sling set up to watch on my PC.

#44 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Here is the full press release:

http://dish.client.s...eleaseID=607878

#45 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Blockbuster's 1-disc at a time plan was already $10/month. I guess now current Dish subs get the 1-disc plan and Dish Platinum for $10/month. New subs get it free for a year. Not a big deal, IMO. They could've offered more.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#46 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

I think that's a heck of a deal.

For ten bucks a month, I get DISH Platinum, AND I get a one-out at a time service that includes no additional charge for Blu-Ray AND games?

[Billy Mays]BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE.[/Billy Mays]

I also get access to a streaming service that already has 3,000 titles? 3,000 titles for a streaming startup isn't bad at all, and I'm sure they'll be beefing that up SUPER FAST.

What is this and how do I replace my blood with it?

Dish is freaking genius in doing this, and it's only going to get better. Of course I know there's going to be nit-pickers and naysayers. There always is, but this is awesome, and nothing changes that.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#47 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

I already use Blockbuster by mail. I hope that account can be transferred so I don't lose my queue.

They are saying watch on TV or PC but nothing on mobile devices. Hopefully those will be added soon.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#48 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

as soon as they come out with a mobile device app like netflix's ,i am cancelling my netflix account

#49 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

From the press release:

Beginning Oct. 1, 2011, Blockbuster Movie Pass is available for DISH Network customers, starting at $10 per month, combining the best of TV with the best of movies and games. It features a pay TV industry first: a subscription streaming movie service bundle available on the TV or PC. This programming package is unmatched by any other cable, satellite, telco or online streaming movie service.

Blockbuster Movie Pass includes the following:

Mail It! — More than 100,000 DVD movies, TV shows and games available by mail. No additional charge for high definition Blu-ray™ movies. One, two or three disc plans available. Queue management made conveniently from a link at www.dish.com.
Stream it! — Stream more than 3,000 movies to the TV. Stream more than 4,000 movies to the PC. Watch hundreds of on-demand TV shows.
Play it! — More than 3,000 video games by mail for XBOX®, XBOX 360®, Playstation2™, Playstation3™, and Nintendo Wii™.
Exchange it! — Unlimited exchanges of DVDs and video games at participating Blockbuster stores.
Watch it! — More than 20 premium entertainment movie channels from studios like MGM, Epix, Sony Movie Channel, PixL and more.

So all I need is Platiimum to get this?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#50 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

So all I need is Platiimum to get this?

That's how I read it. I have Platinum now so I guess I'm set. I'll cancel my BB 1 out at a time I now have. Pretty good deal for me. 2 things I currently pay $20 for will only cost $10 plus some streaming thrown in. I like it.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Ok, I've read and reread and done a "find" on every web page linked here. I'm on Dish Online. I cannot find anything about Platinum. What am I missing?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#52 OFFLINE   jjlawyer

jjlawyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

How does the BB through dish differ from dishonline or dish remote access?

#53 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

So, 3000 movies offered to stream to TV. Netflix has about 75% more than that on offer.

#54 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

So, 3000 movies offered to stream to TV. Netflix has about 75% more than that on offer.

Yeah, but you have to start somewhere. And most of Netflix streaming library is crap, so there's definitely a quality versus quantity component to this. I'll reserve judgement until I see what those 3000 titles are. My guess is the library will grow substantially in the near future through possible acquisitions like Hulu. They're definitely not in the same ballpark as Netflix streaming yet, but could really give Qwikster a run for their money.

#55 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Blockbuster's 1-disc at a time plan was already $10/month. I guess now current Dish subs get the 1-disc plan and Dish Platinum for $10/month. New subs get it free for a year. Not a big deal, IMO. They could've offered more.

Seriously? Or are you just trying to find something wrong here. Platinum is presently $10. Judging from posts (More on the other site) and my own opinion one of the best packages.

Now, for the same $10 bucks I also get to rent a Blue Ray Disc (or DVD or game) a month, and get streaming movies. I can do this online or from my receiver. I can rent more a month for a slight increase in cost that month.

And you also have to take into account I believe there will be some who will drop a movie channel and actually end up possibly paying less or about the same. I will keep HBO because it has so much more than movies, but Showtime is gone.

#56 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

Ok, I've read and reread and done a "find" on every web page linked here. I'm on Dish Online. I cannot find anything about Platinum. What am I missing?

There may be some guessing, hoping and speculating going on based on the list of channels that you get with the BB/Dish movie deal that are currently in Platinum. Plus the other site has a thread in which more than one person said it. And supposedly some questions were forwarded to Dish in this regard. Hopefully the DIRT folks here can provide some answers.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#57 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Seems to be a pretty cool deal for Dish subscribers...
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#58 OFFLINE   Jon W

Jon W

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hopefully they will come out with pricing info soon for the 2 disc at a time plan. My wife and I each have our own DVD Queue from Netflix and it works fairly well. No charge for bu-ray and games sounds great. We just pulled the plug on the Netflix streaming and will drop them all together if the price is right for BB

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

There may be some guessing, hoping and speculating going on based on the list of channels that you get with the BB/Dish movie deal that are currently in Platinum. Plus the other site has a thread in which more than one person said it. And supposedly some questions were forwarded to Dish in this regard. Hopefully the DIRT folks here can provide some answers.

Thanks. I was beginning to think I couldn't find the obvious.

Since Dish Online offers "More than 4,000 Movies" and "Over 15,000 Episodes" I'm assuming that while there might be some duplication there will also be some gain from that 3,000.

What I really hate is a Friday afternoon "news event" without any explanation available for existing customers. I have to wonder how well the CSR's are trained or are a bunch of Dish CSR's in the Far East somewhere going to get bombarded with potential new customers without being able to "'splain it to Lucy.";)

And I cannot figure out the new Facebook either.:mad:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#60 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Great job Dish!

I am a Dish Platinum person -- please do this automatically.

Please re-open any of the four stores near us that you closed.

Regards,
Rasheed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

spam firewall