Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish/Blockbuster announcement coming Friday

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,672 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Ok, I've read and reread and done a "find" on every web page linked here. I'm on Dish Online. I cannot find anything about Platinum. What am I missing?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   jjlawyer

jjlawyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

How does the BB through dish differ from dishonline or dish remote access?

#53 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

So, 3000 movies offered to stream to TV. Netflix has about 75% more than that on offer.

#54 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

So, 3000 movies offered to stream to TV. Netflix has about 75% more than that on offer.

Yeah, but you have to start somewhere. And most of Netflix streaming library is crap, so there's definitely a quality versus quantity component to this. I'll reserve judgement until I see what those 3000 titles are. My guess is the library will grow substantially in the near future through possible acquisitions like Hulu. They're definitely not in the same ballpark as Netflix streaming yet, but could really give Qwikster a run for their money.

#55 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Blockbuster's 1-disc at a time plan was already $10/month. I guess now current Dish subs get the 1-disc plan and Dish Platinum for $10/month. New subs get it free for a year. Not a big deal, IMO. They could've offered more.

Seriously? Or are you just trying to find something wrong here. Platinum is presently $10. Judging from posts (More on the other site) and my own opinion one of the best packages.

Now, for the same $10 bucks I also get to rent a Blue Ray Disc (or DVD or game) a month, and get streaming movies. I can do this online or from my receiver. I can rent more a month for a slight increase in cost that month.

And you also have to take into account I believe there will be some who will drop a movie channel and actually end up possibly paying less or about the same. I will keep HBO because it has so much more than movies, but Showtime is gone.

#56 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

Ok, I've read and reread and done a "find" on every web page linked here. I'm on Dish Online. I cannot find anything about Platinum. What am I missing?

There may be some guessing, hoping and speculating going on based on the list of channels that you get with the BB/Dish movie deal that are currently in Platinum. Plus the other site has a thread in which more than one person said it. And supposedly some questions were forwarded to Dish in this regard. Hopefully the DIRT folks here can provide some answers.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#57 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Seems to be a pretty cool deal for Dish subscribers...
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#58 OFFLINE   Jon W

Jon W

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hopefully they will come out with pricing info soon for the 2 disc at a time plan. My wife and I each have our own DVD Queue from Netflix and it works fairly well. No charge for bu-ray and games sounds great. We just pulled the plug on the Netflix streaming and will drop them all together if the price is right for BB

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

There may be some guessing, hoping and speculating going on based on the list of channels that you get with the BB/Dish movie deal that are currently in Platinum. Plus the other site has a thread in which more than one person said it. And supposedly some questions were forwarded to Dish in this regard. Hopefully the DIRT folks here can provide some answers.

Thanks. I was beginning to think I couldn't find the obvious.

Since Dish Online offers "More than 4,000 Movies" and "Over 15,000 Episodes" I'm assuming that while there might be some duplication there will also be some gain from that 3,000.

What I really hate is a Friday afternoon "news event" without any explanation available for existing customers. I have to wonder how well the CSR's are trained or are a bunch of Dish CSR's in the Far East somewhere going to get bombarded with potential new customers without being able to "'splain it to Lucy.";)

And I cannot figure out the new Facebook either.:mad:

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#60 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Great job Dish!

I am a Dish Platinum person -- please do this automatically.

Please re-open any of the four stores near us that you closed.

Regards,
Rasheed

#61 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

Don't know if it's been posted but here's a link to the podcast of the press conference.

http://www.ustream.tv/dishnetwork

#62 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,345 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Seriously? Or are you just trying to find something wrong here. Platinum is presently $10. Judging from posts (More on the other site) and my own opinion one of the best packages.

Now, for the same $10 bucks I also get to rent a Blue Ray Disc (or DVD or game) a month, and get streaming movies. I can do this online or from my receiver. I can rent more a month for a slight increase in cost that month.

And you also have to take into account I believe there will be some who will drop a movie channel and actually end up possibly paying less or about the same. I will keep HBO because it has so much more than movies, but Showtime is gone.

It's not some groundbreaking deal, IMO, I'm sorry. It's a very good perk, yes. I just expected something to really bury Netflix.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#63 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

How is this NOT burying Netflix? They are already all f'd up with subs leaving in droves over the price hikes. Here's a list of advantages over netflix -

- Integrated streaming to your dish box (no extra hardware needed)

- Unlimited disc movies (blu ray) AND games for less than qwikster

- Ability to exchange said movies and games at a store and walk out with another=more movies per month

- Starz newer release streaming movies

- Discs 28 days earlier than qwickster

#64 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,345 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

How is this NOT burying Netflix? They are already all f'd up with subs leaving in droves over the price hikes. Here's a list of advantages over netflix -

- Integrated streaming to your dish box (no extra hardware needed)

What about non Dish subs? Which boxes?

- Unlimited disc movies (blu ray) AND games for less than qwikster

Netflix's current 1 disc plan without streaming is $9.99 for BR and Qwikster will be adding games. So, they're equal.

- Ability to exchange said movies and games at a store and walk out with another=more movies per month

Great, if there's a store nearby.

- Starz newer release streaming movies

Just like Netflix.

- Discs 28 days earlier than qwickster

Not all, it varies.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#65 OFFLINE   rtk

rtk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Netflix's current 1 disc plan without streaming is $9.99 for BR and Qwikster will be adding games. So, they're equal.

What sort of fuzzy math and wrong information are you spreading?
Netflix no longer does discs, streaming service only = 7.99
Qwickster 1 disc at a time + Blu-ray = 9.99*

Netflix+Qwikster (7.99+9.99) = 18.00 * (possibly higher with games)
Dish Blockbuster Movie Pass = 10.00

I'm not comparing specific content to subscribers or stating that BBMP is the better option however based upon pricing they are far from equal. The obvious downside to BBMP is that its only available to Dish subs, but it seems pretty obvious they will be offering this on its own at a later date with pricing yet to be determined.

Disclosure: We have both Blockbuster and Netflix

#66 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,345 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

What sort of fuzzy math and wrong information are you spreading?
Netflix no longer does discs, streaming service only = 7.99
Qwickster 1 disc at a time + Blu-ray = 9.99*

Netflix+Qwikster (7.99+9.99) = 18.00 * (possibly higher with games)
Dish Blockbuster Movie Pass = 10.00

Technically, you're giving wrong information. Qwikster HAS NOT started yet, and NF still does discs. My information is still correct until they split. ;)

#67 OFFLINE   rtk

rtk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Technically, you're giving wrong information. Qwikster HAS NOT started yet, and NF still does discs. My information is still correct until they split. ;)

Your own words and bad math speak for themselves. The new Netflix/Quikster pricing structure is a done deal and the combined services are going to be more, nearly double the price of the initial offering of BBMP. Your comments above as quoted were flawed, accept it and move on. As I stated, the unknown is if content with one service will be signficantly better.

#68 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,345 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

Your own words and bad math speak for themselves. The new Netflix/Quikster pricing structure is a done deal and the combined services are going to be more, nearly double the price of the initial offering of BBMP. Your comments above as quoted were flawed, accept it and move on. As I stated, the unknown is if content with one service will be signficantly better.

I never included streaming in my comment. See below...

slickshoes: - Unlimited disc movies (blu ray) AND games for less than qwikster

sigma1914: Netflix's current 1 disc plan without streaming is $9.99 for BR and Qwikster will be adding games. So, they're equal.

It's unfair to include streaming at this point.

#69 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

There was some discussion earlier as to exactly which channels would be included. Below is a list of the channels included with the service:

Channels include: Encore Suspense SD, Hallmark Movie Channel (SD & HD), Starz Cinema SD, World Fishing Network SD, HD Theater, HDNet Movies, Universal HD, MAVTV HD, Crime & Investigation HD, LOGO HD, MoviePlex SD, IndiePlex HD, ShortsHD, Centric HD, RetroPlex HD, EPIX 1 HD & EPIX 2 HD, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, PixL HD, Sundance SD, and Palladia HD.

#70 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,345 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Below is a list of the channels included with the service:

Channels include: Encore Suspense SD, Hallmark Movie Channel (SD & HD), Starz Cinema SD, World Fishing Network SD, HD Theater, HDNet Movies, Universal HD, MAVTV HD, Crime & Investigation HD, LOGO HD, MoviePlex SD, IndiePlex HD, ShortsHD, Centric HD, RetroPlex HD, EPIX 1 HD & EPIX 2 HD, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, PixL HD, Sundance SD, and Palladia HD.

That's a great deal for Dish subs. I just hope the service will be a good value for non Dish subs.

#71 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

Zero info yet on the standalone version or it's pricing. I agree this is a very nice addition by DISH for both new and existing customers.

#72 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,351 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

I'm curious to see what the deal will be for existing customers. The press release seems to only cover new customer deals.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#73 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

I never included streaming in my comment. See below...

slickshoes: - Unlimited disc movies (blu ray) AND games for less than qwikster

sigma1914: Netflix's current 1 disc plan without streaming is $9.99 for BR and Qwikster will be adding games. So, they're equal.

It's unfair to include streaming at this point.

New apology

http://teamcoco.com/...flix-apologizes
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#74 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

I'm curious to see what the deal will be for existing customers. The press release seems to only cover new customer deals.

That's my question also.

The whole Netflix customer handwringing is wierd. And the whole discussion about blowing Netflix away is silly. Charlie isn't crazy. My guess is that the folks at Dish/BB have crunched the numbers and have already figured out that the Netflix "adjustment" was necessary.

In the real world, Disney's Media Networks revenue in 2010 was 8.2% higher than 2008, all collected from the cable/satellite/video streaming companies. The idiots at Netflix didn't prepare their customers for reality by charging annual price increases just like their competition. And as with all the media production conglomerates, Disney says what recession? Unemployed viewers? We don't want those.

Right now Charlie is using BB streaming to seduce new customers to Dish. It's not a bad idea. But two years from now no one will be talking about BB streaming in lieu of satellite television, just as a part of or an addition to.

The first real evidence was when Dish announced Fox shows same-week streaming available if you are a Dish subscriber to Fox. If you watch Fox OTA, you will never again stream a show in the same week it airs. No retrans fee from you, no timely streaming for you. Not too complicated.

Whether it's Netflix, Blockbuster, a satellite service, or a cable company, they are the middlemen that collect from you and pass it on to your favorite media conglomerates.

My AV Setup

#75 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

I am not sure why so many are going off the deep end just yet...I said in another thread that I found this deal to be ridiculously underwhelming and I meant that

With that said, we don't know non-Dish people pricing or even when it will be available. We also don't even know what the future digital streaming library will look like (if I am reading the CEO quotes correctly about them finishing deals)

Too many questions left on the table

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...