Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

Would this external hard drive work with my ViP722K?

http://www.imation.c...ble-Hard-Drive/
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

No.

Look for that one what has external power supply !

#3 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

No.

Look for that one what has external power supply !

This one perhaps?

http://www.imation.c...ble-HDD-System/

Thank you!
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Too complex for EHD, any cheap USB-SATA enclosures with external power supply will works fine as EHD.
Check tigerdirect, newegg, frys...

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

One like this will work with all VIP receivers except the 211/211K http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136471

#6 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thank you both very much! Out of curiousiity, why is the external power source the key?

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

Nobody knows except of that engineer who calculate and limited USB load to the ports of 922.
No one reveal the max current and official word is "no for USB powered drives".
One day I would connect my eLoad box to it and will check it.

By official USB org spec, a powered USB port could provide up to 500 mA after successful enumeration by a host.

#8 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

By official USB org spec, a powered USB port could provide up to 500 mA after successful enumeration by a host.

I would suspect that the USB ports do not supply enough startup current to get the platters/motor spinning. I don't have the equipment to test/prove this theory but do have some anecdotal evidence.

I have a bare drive pulled from an old 721 or 921, can't recall which, but I put it in an external enclosure and the power block didn't supply enough current to spin it up. It had the typical DC connector with + and ground.

I found another enclosure which had four wires, I suspect two for the motor and two for the electronics, and it spins up the drive every time.

Maybe someone with the proper equipment could prove or disprove this theory once and for all and we then would have the evidence to point to whenever this question comes up again. And I know it will.:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

a. That would be a IDE Desktop type of drive. It draws way more than .5Amp

B. The USB port only provides 5Volts and that type of drive needs 5 Volts and 12 Volts.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#10 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

a. That would be a IDE Desktop type of drive. It draws way more than .5Amp

B. The USB port only provides 5Volts and that type of drive needs 5 Volts and 12 Volts.

The example I used to press my point about the startup of a motor in a drive was indeed an IDE type drive but it was installed in an enclosure designed to handle that type of drive. My point is still that even in a USB drive, the startup of the motor could be the reason that it would not work without external power when connected to a 622/722 due to a lack of current to get the motor spinning.

Another anecdote I have is a recent purchase of an external USB DVD drive. It came with a USB cable which had two connectors at the computer/laptop end which would/should imply that a single USB connector might not provide enough current to do the job. The manufacturer decided it would be cheaper to provide the split cable rather than a power block.

I wish that I had the proper equipment to test my theory, but alas, too late in life to think about adding to all the crap now on my workbench.:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#11 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Just curious, do you guys turn off your external hard drive when not in use or just leave it on all the time?

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

I usually turn off the external drives when I'm not planning on using them. I've had issues with the daily update hanging if the drive is powered on.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#13 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Thanks, Kent.

I just bought an external hard drive today.

Also what's the best way to move it safely? Like how long should it be off before I attempt to move it to another location?

I know with the DVR's, I thought I read somewhere you have to unplug it and wait 5 minutes before moving it to another location.

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

When I move the EHD between my 612 and 722k I unplug it and move it. I've never had an issue doing that.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thanks, Kent.

I just bought an external hard drive today.

Also what's the best way to move it safely? Like how long should it be off before I attempt to move it to another location?

I know with the DVR's, I thought I read somewhere you have to unplug it and wait 5 minutes before moving it to another location.

You can hear the sound of spinning down drive ... 5-15 seconds.

#16 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Do you guys unplug the external hard drive when you don't use it?

I used the power button to turn it off last night and unplugged it.

This morning I plugged it back in and it just turned right on without me touching the power button. I was thinking that might not be good for it. That it might be better just to leave it plugged in all the time. Also the DVR was on and recording at the time when I did that. Maybe that's why it turned on without the power button. I don't know.

#17 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

Tecmo SB Guy,

I have my EHD plugged in all the time and I haven't had any problems with it. I have a WD 1.5 TB drive. When you plugged the EHD back into the receiver, did a message pop up on the TV stating you have connected an external drive into the USB port? That's all that should happen when you plug it back in. Thanks.

#18 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

Tecmo SB Guy,

I have my EHD plugged in all the time and I haven't had any problems with it. I have a WD 1.5 TB drive. When you plugged the EHD back into the receiver, did a message pop up on the TV stating you have connected an external drive into the USB port? That's all that should happen when you plug it back in. Thanks.

Yeah it said that. Although it did that after the power light on the EHD blinked for a while. Like the EHD needed a while to get booted up and get recognized by the 722K.

#19 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

I also leave mine on all the time. I just unplug it from the usb port which is need for other items like the ipod:D
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#20 OFFLINE   dishman1999

dishman1999

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

The 4 TB BlackArmor® NAS 220 server from Seagate

Protected By... spam firewall...And...