Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

The 4 TB BlackArmor® NAS 220 server from Seagate

Read the thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=194702

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

The 4 TB BlackArmor® NAS 220 server from Seagate

Suddenly it dawned on me..........you were joking....:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#23 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Yeah I have a minor problem.

Sometimes, when I turn on my external hard drive, the 722K doesn't recognize it so I have to remove and plug in the USB cord again to the DVR in order to get it to recognize the external hard drive.

Is there an easier way to get the 722K to recognize the EHD?

#24 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

I cannot wait until the petabyte drive comes out...lol....that's 1,000tb or 1,000,000gb. Image up to 1 million shows on your drive.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

Yeah I have a minor problem.

Sometimes, when I turn on my external hard drive, the 722K doesn't recognize it so I have to remove and plug in the USB cord again to the DVR in order to get it to recognize the external hard drive.

Is there an easier way to get the 722K to recognize the EHD?

Change USB cable; try front USB socket if using back or visa versa; replace USB enclosure; try the drive in TT dock station ...

#26 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Since I might only use the external hard drive once or twice a month I always pull the power to reduce wear and tear.

I do the same thing with the external drives for my computer. I Only power them on when I want to use them. The computer generally is on once a week on Sunday
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#27 OFFLINE   dishman1999

dishman1999

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Since I might only use the external hard drive once or twice a month I always pull the power to reduce wear and tear.

I do the same thing with the external drives for my computer. I Only power them on when I want to use them. The computer generally is on once a week on Sunday

I do the same when I'm not use it I keep it unplug.

#28 OFFLINE   dishman1999

dishman1999

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Suddenly it dawned on me..........you were joking....:grin:

if I was joking I won't ask I just post it and then:p:p

#29 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Change USB cable; try front USB socket if using back or visa versa; replace USB enclosure; try the drive in TT dock station ...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I probably don't know about technology as much as I should. Could you explain the last two. What you mean by, "replace USB enclosure"? And also what you mean by "try the drive in TT dock station"?

#30 OFFLINE   jbjsm

jbjsm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

My 622 is asking me to reformat my WD EHD. It's never been disconnected from the DVR and has over 2.5 years worth of programs recorded on it. I tried unplugging the USB cable, but it still doesn't reccognize the drive. My other 622 has no problem with this drive. Is it the 622? Time to call Dish?

#31 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

My 622 is asking me to reformat my WD EHD. It's never been disconnected from the DVR and has over 2.5 years worth of programs recorded on it. I tried unplugging the USB cable, but it still doesn't reccognize the drive. My other 622 has no problem with this drive. Is it the 622? Time to call Dish?

If it works on one but not the other it may be the Household Key got corrupted. Dish might need to 're-hit' the receiver. PM one of the DIRT members here or try an online chat.

#32 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

One or two of my EHD's caused a message like "Your EHD needs to be upgraded to work with this receiver" or something like that. I was afraid to let it, thinking it meant that it had to reformat it.

After a few days though I decided the drives didn't do me any good the way they were. So I let the DVR have its way. To my surprise, it did not delete all my transferred recordings. Maybe it was because of a firmware update or something.

Somethimes I have to "play" with the drive or USB connection to get it recognized. This involves turning the drive on and off or unplugging and replugging it. I can always tell when the DVR will see it because I see the activity light on the drive flashing. Then it pauses and then it starts flashing again. If I don't see the pause, etc. I know I have to play with it.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#33 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

That sounds like my drives. My drives work the first time about half to a third of the time when I plug them in. Other times, I have to go through a couple of cycles of connect/disconnect and/or powering down the drive to get the 722k to recognize them. Once they get recognized - all is well. Unfortunately this is random enough to make it difficult to find any pattern. I've thought I had found a pattern/trick several times only to have it fail a few days later.

Once the receiver said I connected an unsupported device, but usually the flashing of the drive light just stops early and the receiver says nothing at all.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

If you get such message, your first action is REBOOT the DVR first !

#35 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

If you get such message, your first action is REBOOT the DVR first !

You are correct. I had tried that, of course. Some people need to be told.

I am beginning to think USB is inherently "fussy". I've got computers that will not recognize the USB keyboard or mouse until I play with them.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

spam firewall