Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did I screw up?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

I've got a Dish Network ViP 922 HD DVR and filled up the internal hard drive, so I decided to get an external hard drive for more storage. I went with a Western Digital WD Elements 3 TB unit. I hooked it up tonight and the DVR detected it right away and a "USB storage device is formatting, please wait" alert box came up on the screen. The problem is that the green status bar has been blinking for well over two hours now, and it doesn't look like it's going to complete the formatting.

Anyway, I just went on the Dish Network website and I now see that a 2 TB external hard drive is apparently the maximum size that is supported. So am I screwed with the 3 TB unit? If it will not work, I don't know if I can send it back to Amazon for a 2 TB unit since I have technically used it (even though it isn't actually reformatted).

Has anyone ever had any success using a 3 TB external hard drive with a Dish Network ViP 922 HD DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

Not what you want to hear but I believe the VIP 922 will not be able to use that 3 TB external hard drive. When there's a firmware type size limitation, you have to stay under the limit.

Edited by l8er, 05 December 2011 - 06:32 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Unfortunately, that's pretty much what I thought as well. I also called Dish this morning and they positively confirmed the 3 TB HD is a no go, so I am going to get the 2 TB version of the same HD and attempt to send the 3 TB back. Live and learn :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   dbscpa

dbscpa

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

I know this is an old thread but, for people new to Dish like me, it just saved me from making a bad purchase, so I'm bumping the thread up. If this is "bad manners" let me know.

I just got Dish on 11/27 and called CS today, 12/04, to ask about EHD size limitations since previously, I believe, 750GB was the max. The CSR said there was no size limitation any more. BTW, I have the 722k.

Drive are so cheap now I figured I would get a couple of 3TBs - one for recording and one for backup. I guess I'll get two 2TBs instead.

So, Dish newbies like me, before taking Dish CSR statements as "truth" check the DBStalk forums.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Drive are so cheap now I figured I would get a couple of 3TBs - one for recording and one for backup. I guess I'll get two 2TBs instead.

Glad to see posts here help. There also is a thread here External Hard Drives That Work you might find useful. But....

What do you know that I don't???

Right now we have several threads regarding the drive shortage and skyrocketing prices including Hard disk drive shortage looming and the thread Western Digital Hard Drive Prices.

In the latter I posted:

On October 19, 2011, right after reading about the flooding in Thailand I bought a $69.99 Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive from Amazon. That drive is not available directly from Amazon but one of their sellers is offering it right now for $119.96 with the notation "Only 1 left in stock--order soon."

Tonight Amazon has this notice on the pages where they still have some drives available:

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

The size limit for DVR archival drives is 2TB. http://www.dishuser.org/byodvr.php
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

The size limit for DVR archival drives is 2TB. http://www.dishuser.org/byodvr.php

[Check the spelling ;) - "the 922 supports access to 4 conntected EHDs using a powered external USB hub"]

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

I usually feel typos :o . The fix will be loaded later with some other updates.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   dbscpa

dbscpa

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Glad to see posts here help. There also is a thread here [dbscpa: I'm not allowed to post URLs until I have 5 posts, even though it is your URL from your post] you might find useful. But....

What do you know that I don't???

Right now we have several threads regarding the drive shortage and skyrocketing prices including [dbscpa: URL posting limitation] and the thread [dbscpa: URL posting limitation].

In the latter I posted: Tonight Amazon has this notice on the pages where they still have some drives available:

Posted Image

I saw the thread about compatible EHDs, but it is over 4 years old (August 2007), so I did not give it too much weight. (Perhaps my error?)

Regarding prices, one of this weekend's adverts in the SF Bay Area had a WD 2TB USB 2.0 EHD for $79. Can't remember which retailer (it was a brick and mortar), but if someone wants me to check, I'll pull the paper out of the recycle bin.

I ended up buying the Verbatim 2TB USB 3.0 (at Office Max) since WD reviews tend to be spotty and the Verbatim comes with a 7 year warranty. It was $120, and although the 722k only has USB 2.0, I want the 3.0 for possible computer hook-up later. (BTW, hook-up was a snap and in my first use, it took 1 hour to offload 10 hours of HD programming. I don't know whether that is fast or slow, but since it all occurred in the background, it did not "bother" me at all.)

I know it is all relative, but even $120 for a 2TB USB 3.0 is inexpensive to me. I know I can wait and get it cheaper down the road, so that is what I am going to do for the second drive.

I still remember paying $300 for 256MB of memory years ago and $400 for a 10MB HDD before that, so just about anything seems cheap to me!!!

Edited by dbscpa, 06 December 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

The 2TB EHD is the maximum amount supported at this time. I have tested a 3TB on a few of our receivers at work and have not had any success completing the format process. Thanks.

I've got a Dish Network ViP 922 HD DVR and filled up the internal hard drive, so I decided to get an external hard drive for more storage. I went with a Western Digital WD Elements 3 TB unit. I hooked it up tonight and the DVR detected it right away and a "USB storage device is formatting, please wait" alert box came up on the screen. The problem is that the green status bar has been blinking for well over two hours now, and it doesn't look like it's going to complete the formatting.

Anyway, I just went on the Dish Network website and I now see that a 2 TB external hard drive is apparently the maximum size that is supported. So am I screwed with the 3 TB unit? If it will not work, I don't know if I can send it back to Amazon for a 2 TB unit since I have technically used it (even though it isn't actually reformatted).

Has anyone ever had any success using a 3 TB external hard drive with a Dish Network ViP 922 HD DVR?

#11 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

The 2TB EHD is the maximum amount supported at this time. I have tested a 3TB on a few of our receivers at work and have not had any success completing the format process. Thanks.

I was able to return the Western Digital WD Elements 3 TB unit to Amazon and got the 2 TB unit instead. After hooking up the 2 TB EHD, I had no problem with the formatting process and it has been working just fine.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Big surprise !

[It's many times tested and written many times at the site about 2 TB and 3 TB EHDs]

#13 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

Well, it was a surprise to me as a fairly new Dish HD customer at the time. I admit that I should have called Dish or researched the subject better prior to my purchasing the 3 TB EHD, but I guess I was just jazzed that I could have any supported EHD for my Dish HD DVR as compared to the non-supported stance DirecTV takes on the same matter. So, going with a 3 TB EHD initially made sense to me since I didn't want multiple drives and yet wanted to get the most storage for the best price. From a point of logic, that wouldn't have been a bad way to go except for the fact that 2 TB was actually the operational limit.

Anywho, if this thread helps anyone else not to repeat my error, then that's worth it IMO.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Anywho, if this thread helps anyone else not to repeat my error, then that's worth it IMO.

You know ...
I'm here posting many technical tidbits and do hope it will help ppl get the facts just by Search and reading ... for many years.
But your thread and many more telling - NO WAY !
Each month/week(!) someone came with same question again and again. Duh !

#15 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

Oh goodness ... not too much of a bloated head attitude going on here. :rolleyes:

Since my thread (or others like it) seem to be beneath your standards of value and worth, my suggestion is not to waste your precious time reading or commenting on same.

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

I saw the thread about compatible EHDs, but it is over 4 years old (August 2007), so I did not give it too much weight. (Perhaps my error?)

Actually the last post is dated 10-06-11 as folks keep adding to it, but HobbyTalk's first post hasn't been updated since 05/20/08.

I still remember paying $300 for 256MB of memory years ago and $400 for a 10MB HDD before that, so just about anything seems cheap to me!!!

Well, my first HDD was this guy...

Posted Image

...but I've gotten really cheap frugal in my old age. ;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#17 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

My first was a 14" disk with one removable 3MB platter and one fixed 3MB platter. Cost only $9995 and I still can see the scar where my finger had to be stitched up because I got it caught between the disk and a table while uncrating it.

Yeah - me too on getting much cheaper as I've gotten older. Not to mention I now refuse to uncrate computer parts. :D

#18 OFFLINE   mhaneef

mhaneef

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well, it's been almost a year since the last post- any update on whether 3 TB drives are now acceptable?

#19 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I haven't researched it further since I ended up successfully going with a 2 TB EHD. Perhaps Dish has upped that since then, but my advice would be to not make any assumptions and to call Dish to positively confirm what the maximum supported capacity EHD currently is.

#20 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Still only 2 TB max.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...