Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did I screw up?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

As far as i know the only unit that can go beyond the 2tb is Direct HR34 All of Dish and the other D recievers cant

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

A 2+ hour movie in MPEG4 occupies about 3-4 GB of HDD space, so a 2TB drive should hold 570 movies.

There aren't 570 movies inexistence tha Interest me enough to watch them more than once if even that.

If you cut that to 1 hour programs at about 1.75GB each, that exceeds the 999/1000 program limit of the OS and there surely are NOT 999 various episodes of anything I want, especially all crammed on one hard drive.

I keep my EHD programs on seperate drives by program/programming type, needless to say I have 10-15 25GB hard drives that hold my programs, but things are much easier to find and the drives are less than 1/2 full and get little comparative use = last longer.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#23 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

It's not a hard and fast rule about time per gigabyte. Some programs have more compression than others. Even what orbital location you are looking at will be a factor!

Here's what happened to me. I had a "mixed arc set-up" (61.5/110/119). This dates back to the Sky Angel days. About the same time as the demise of Sky Angel on 61.5 came my HD locals on the same satellite. This was before "HD Free For All" (I had an HD DVR but no HD service because I did not have an HDTV). When I signed up for FFA I did not bother to fix my mixed arc set-up. Then one day there was a problem with one of the other EA satellites. Suddenly a bunch of SD channels were moved temporally to 61.5. NBD, I still got all the channels I watched in SD, except what used to come from 119 was now coming from 61.5. I had a daily timer for one of the channels that got switched. I periodically moved the recordings from this daily timer to my EHD. One day I noticed the file size per program from this timer shrunk by almost half! It turns out that when the command to move the channels on the EA happened it affected what I was formerly getting off 119. The same networks on 61.5 are in MPEG4 while the same network on 119 was still in MPEG2. The only difference I could see was in the file size.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#24 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

LOL,

here's another reason I am not a computer guy.

Why the system would not format the first 2TB of the 3TB drive and then work just fine for y'all is beyond the dull grasp of my withered intellect.

:lol:

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Because some SW/FW boss did decide it will works that way; then SW coder implement the rule. Your opinion never been counted. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...