Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDCP errors popping up suddenly...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hi guys, recently my 722k is reporting HDCP errors on certain things. I tried watching an episode of Entourage the other night, error popped up, couldn't watch it. There are also a few blues clues in my rentals area that have been watched before that are now reporting that error. What gives? I haven't tried the obvious pull power, reboot yet, just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Oh yeah, nothings been touched, cable, equipment wise either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

Might have something to do with THIS.

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Might have something to do with THIS.

It might if Blue's Clues is on HBO Comedy.

to the OP are you connected by HDMI, component, &&&&
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Blue's Clues is pretty funny. I just thought there may be a chance a few other HBOs would be affected if mistakes were made or we weren't getting the whole story. You never know, especially since nothing has changed on the OP's end.

#5 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

HDMI > Onkyo 606 > Panny plasma

Same setup I've had since Dish was installed about 2 years ago.

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

Blue's Clues is pretty funny. I just thought there may be a chance a few other HBOs would be affected if mistakes were made or we weren't getting the whole story. You never know, especially since nothing has changed on the OP's end.

Well if he uses HDMI it is unlikely that is the cause.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

Well, power pull to reset did the trick, no more errors in the on demand blues clues downloads... I'll have to keep an eye on it.

#8 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

HDMI is touchy. Every once in a while one of my HDMI connected TVs will fail to mate with the receiver (or the other way around). Usually shutting everything down and restarting will fix it but sometimes I have to reboot the receiver too.

#9 OFFLINE   crockett_18

crockett_18

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

Same problems here, all HBO and Moviemax channels I get the HDCP error message, the rest of the movies are ok.

So I should then just swap out my HDMI for Component Video and that should solve my problem?

#10 OFFLINE   jjlawyer

jjlawyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

I had the same problem. I switched from HDMI to component and that worked. It also worked with hdmi when I took out the hdmi splitter used for the xbox 360. This all started a week ago.

Edited by jjlawyer, 30 September 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

If you get the pop up message 860, HDCP error, with any type connection besides HDMI, please provide your TV model, receiver number, type of cable connection from the receiver to TV, and which TV the error pops up on. Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   hdcl

hdcl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

I also started getting the HDCP error last night when trying to watch a DVRed episode of Boardwalk Empire. It says by device is not HDCP compliant, which it is. If I check system Info, it shows "Digital Video - Yes" and "HDCP - Yes". I have not tried power cycling the receiver yet.

I will try the power reset and see if that resolves the issue.

#13 OFFLINE   sanagnos

sanagnos

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Getting the hdcp error with hbo, won't even let me switch to the stations. Model - new Sony KDL-40BX420, receiver VIP612 DVR, HDMI connection. Tried power cycling, no luck. Switched to component and it works now. Other HDMI devices worked the whole time.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

I also started getting the HDCP error last night when trying to watch a DVRed episode of Boardwalk Empire. It says by device is not HDCP compliant, which it is. If I check system Info, it shows "Digital Video - Yes" and "HDCP - Yes". I have not tried power cycling the receiver yet.

I will try the power reset and see if that resolves the issue.

Just above your post, Ray did ask pertinent info about your setup. Do you understand how important for engineers/SW coders to know the data ?
So, please add it.

If you get the pop up message 860, HDCP error, with any type connection besides HDMI, please provide your TV model, receiver number, type of cable connection from the receiver to TV, and which TV the error pops up on. Thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

Getting the hdcp error with hbo, won't even let me switch to the stations. Model - new Sony KDL-40BX420, receiver VIP612 DVR, HDMI connection. Tried power cycling, no luck. Switched to component and it works now. Other HDMI devices worked the whole time.

You need provide your setup info ! The posts are just whining, not giving any input to fix the issue !

If you get the pop up message 860, HDCP error, with any type connection besides HDMI, please provide your TV model, receiver number, type of cable connection from the receiver to TV, and which TV the error pops up on.

#16 OFFLINE   hdcl

hdcl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Just above your post, Ray did ask pertinent info about your setup. Do you understand how important for engineers/SW coders to know the data ?
So, please add it.

Yes, sorry about that. I figured I would post that information if the problem persisted.

Power reset seems to have resolved the issue. I have a VIP 722 HD Receiver hooked up directly to an Optoma HD-81 front projector via HDMI. Audio out goes to a separate Yamaha receiver via optical connection

#17 OFFLINE   Rhif Rhaf

Rhif Rhaf

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

I've been enjoying Dish HD for years. Since Jan 2010 I've been watching on a Panasonic 65S1, and upgraded to a 722 DVR receiver earlier this year. I 've been using all HDMI connections and cables, through an HDMI switcher. NO issues at all; could watch and record any channel I want. I constantly scan all channels on a DAILY basis, looking for new movies, shows, etc. On Saturday, Oct 8, I was about to watch Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows and saw this HDCP (890?) message for the very first time on this set. ALL nine of my HBOs are blocked! The strange thing is that, in another room, my other Panasonic plasma (an older monitor, model# ending in 7UK) displays them all just fine. It got the message once, and when I went into the Dish info menu, it had "yes" for both HDCP notations. When I got out of the menu, the older set was fine. The newer plasma, however, can't see HBO as of Saturday. Do I have to reconfigure my entire system BACK to component after investing in HDMI accessories? Why can't Dish send a firmware fix to the 722?

#18 OFFLINE   Frodo301

Frodo301

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

Have you tried to bypass the hdmi switch and connect directly to your tv? Noticed over on the 922 board a fix was to unplug the hdmi and plug it back in and use component. This apparently resets the handshake between the receiver and tv for hdcp. Don't know if it would work for the 722 but worth a try as a temp fix.

Edited by Frodo301, 10 October 2011 - 07:22 AM.
spelling

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Have you tried to bypass the hdmi switch and connect directly to your tv? Noticed over on the 922 board a fix was to unplug the hdmi and plug it back in and use component. This apparently resets the handshake between the receiver and tv for hdcp. Don't know if it would work for the 722 but worth a try as a temp fix.

Actually, each time when you connect HDMI cable to source/target the negotiation start from beginning. No resets or re-stating the connection. Absolutely new session.

#20 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

Actually, each time when you connect HDMI cable to source/target the negotiation start from beginning. No resets or re-stating the connection. Absolutely new session.

It was my thread on the 922 forum wherein I stated that reseating either end of the HDMI cable will correct the situation. So will cold rebooting (disconnect/reconnect power) the 922 - but that is an onerous process.

Curiously, power cycling (via the power cord) the TV has NO EFFECT!

How is it that removing and restoring power from the TV is not seen as "starting a new session" on the HDMI cable, but disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting it is? Do you know?

Not sure about the 722, but the 612 (so probably the 722 also) shows whether or not you currently need to clear this issue in the menu "System Setup/Diagnostics/Analysis/HDMI Test" Scroll the leftmost item "Disp. Info" up a few times to see "HDCP". The value of "hdcp_state" will be "ENCRYPTED" if you are allowed to watch shows requiring HDCP, or it will be "AUTH PENDING" if you are currently experiencing "the bug". In that case, cycle the HDMI cable connection.

This really needs to be fixed. I hate having to go around to the back of the entertainment center to unplug/replug a cable to be permitted to watch TV I am paying for!

Edited by JimD, 20 October 2011 - 12:37 PM.
Fixed typo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...