Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDCP errors popping up suddenly...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jjkrueg

jjkrueg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I'm getting that error on TV2 that's running via coax, why would I get this error without using HDMI?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jjkrueg

jjkrueg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

PM'ing to Ray, hopefully he can help.

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

Do you know?

if I would have the source code ...

#24 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

I think I’m getting a related issue though I’ve not seen the error message being described. What’s been happening lately (the last 3 weeks or so) is that audio will suddenly go away – while the picture continues to appear normally. Usually I can get the sound back by momentarily changing channels away and back again. Sometimes though, I must power off/on the TV in order to get the sound back again. I found that if I change my hookup from HDMI to a Component+R/L audio cable the problem goes away. I’ve tried several different HDMI cables (all of which work fine with other HDMI equipment I have) and I’ve updated the firmware in the TV (a Philips 37PF7320A) to the latest version offered by the manufacturer, but neither effort improved this issue. I’ve also connect other HDMI devices to each of this TV’s two HDMI ports, but the only device that is having this sound loss issue is the 622 receiver and then only if it is connected via HDMI.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have to offer,

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#25 OFFLINE   maitre2pitza

maitre2pitza

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Here are some cuts from chat with level one tech:

Harry (ID: ABD): Effective on Wednesday, September 28, 2011, by 5:00 PM ET, DISH Network will launch the Digital Rights Management setting HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) on all HBO channels.
Harry (ID: ABD): HDCP prevents the unauthorized copying of content by only allowing viewing on an HDCP-enabled TV. This setting has been added to both the HD and SD versions of the channel for customers using ViP set-top boxes with digital (HDMI) outputs.

Same mumbo from Level 2:

Natalie (ID: ERY): To comply with movie industry standards, DISH network, as well as all TV providers, must enforce content protection standards when required. This message indicates that your TV or connection is not HDCP capable. It is likely your TV was manufactured before industry standards required HDCP.
If you have an HDMI or DVI cable connecting your HDTV to your HD receiver, you can watch movies by switching cables: Plug in a component cable (red, green blue connectors) for video plus RCA red and white cables for audio. Then unplug your HDMI or DVI cable. Switching the cables is one option, switching the TV is another, or we can remove the subscription to help save you money.

What a choice, find the old cables which I probably threw away, trash the Monster HDMI that cost $$$$$$$ or just don't watch HBO anymore.

I've been with DISH since Charlie was answering the phone. I guess I'll have to answer the phone when FIOS calls. Sorry Charlie:mad::mad::mad:
  • dish556 likes this

#26 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

I think you'll find that ALL carriers are doing the same thing that Dish is being forced to do with HBO, so switching providers will get you nowhere.

It is HBO who is pulling this string - mandating HDCP lock for its material.

I believe Dish, Direct, FIOS and the cable companies ALL must implement this.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#27 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

Just wait until they start forcing 480i on the component connectors to go along with it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#28 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

Just wait until they start forcing 480i on the component connectors to go along with it.

This is what has confused me about the threads related to this issue. I thought the analog outputs were supposed to be down rezzed for copy protected material.

#29 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

I guess I'll have to answer the phone when FIOS calls. Sorry Charlie:mad::mad::mad:

Post back and let us know how that works out with HBO on FIOS.

#30 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

I think you'll find that ALL carriers are doing the same thing that Dish is being forced to do with HBO, so switching providers will get you nowhere.

Unless, of course, your dish receiver had previously negotiated a working encrypted HDCP connection to this very same TV earlier in the day - and has for some reason now forgotten or unwittingly undone this. It may well be the case that other vendors are not having that particular problem.

#31 OFFLINE   Zalophus

Zalophus

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

If you get the pop up message 860, HDCP error, with any type connection besides HDMI, please provide your TV model, receiver number, type of cable connection from the receiver to TV, and which TV the error pops up on. Thanks.

Ray-
*VIP612;
*2011 Pano TCP50G25;
*HDMI-612 to HDTV.
*HDCP Error "894" on playback of HBO recordings. Live play OK, and all other recordings playback ok.
*Component connection with HDMI unplugged is OK.

#32 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

This is what has confused me about the threads related to this issue. I thought the analog outputs were supposed to be down rezzed for copy protected material.

The analog outputs of cable or satellite TV set-top boxes, including receivers or DVRs, are sometimes improperly associated with the analog sunset.

In the United States, the FCC has a regulation, 47 CFR 76.1903, that explicitly prohibits the disabling of analog outputs on cable and satellite set-top boxes:

76.1903 Interfaces

A covered entity shall not attach or embed data or information with audiovisual content, or otherwise apply to, associate with, or allow such data to persist in or remain associated with such content, so as to prevent its output through any analog or digital output authorized or permitted under
license, law or regulation governing such covered product.

Great document:

http://media.extron....alog_sunset.pdf

#33 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

http://media.extron....alog_sunset.pdf (if previou link gives you problems)

#34 OFFLINE   chouseman

chouseman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I am also getting regular HDCP errors when attempting to view HBO movies. It began within the last several weeks. My 722k software version is L750.

Generally I have been pulling the plug on the 722k to fix the problem, but just now, I went to the "System Info Two" screen and verified that I have "Digital connection: yes" and "HDCP: yes". I left it on that screen for a minute or two as I paused to do something else - and when I exited out and tried to view the same HBO movie that was previously giving the HDCP error, it worked. I'm pretty sure that a week ago after I checked the System Info Two screen, I still had the HDCP error after leaving that screen.

#35 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

I received the 890 message for the first time today on my 722K on HBO as I was trying to set a recording. Pulled the HDMI cable, popped it back in, and was then able to set the recording. Next step will be to see if I can watch the recording later this evening.

#36 OFFLINE   MattE303

MattE303

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

I received the 890 message for the first time today on my 722K on HBO as I was trying to set a recording. Pulled the HDMI cable, popped it back in, and was then able to set the recording. Next step will be to see if I can watch the recording later this evening.

Posting in the hopes of saving someone else the misery I just went thru this afternoon.

I just ran into the HDCP problem with HBO today. 722K connected to Mitsubishi WD-73838 via HDMI. No problems with HBO before, but today we started getting the 890 error (and "HDCP - No" in System Info). I called dish support and the CSR told me they had just thrown the switch for HDCP on HBO channels about 6 weeks ago "and it probably just carried over to our area in the last day or so". She told me the only thing I could do was switch to "RCA cables" instead of HDMI. I told her that was ridiculous, my TV is HDCP compliant, why couldn't I use HDMI? She just kept reading her script about using "RCA cables" over and over, so I gave up.

After reading some forum posts about HDCP problems, I tried a hard reset on the 722, but to no avail. I was sure my TV was HDCP compliant because the manual says it is, and we watch BluRay movies from a Sony BD player over HDMI all the time. I decided to sanity check by putting on a BluRay movie and......no picture on the Mits. Checked the TV in the bedroom that is connected to the same BluRay player (but via component cables) and it was working fine. I crossed my fingers and pulled the plug on the Mitsubishi (which I hadn't tried yet). When it came back up, picture from the BluRay player was now working, so I switched to the 722 and checked System Info. I now had "HDCP - Yes"! so changed to an HBO channel and no more error 890!!! :D

Sure would have been nice if the CSR had known to suggest power cycling the receiver and the tv (but that wasn't in her scripts apparently, just "you have to use rca cables instead of HDMI" :nono2:).

#37 OFFLINE   DonJuane

DonJuane

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I wonder if anyone has resolved this or can suggest a resolution via a relatively inexpensive method.   Recently I started receiving the Dish Network HDCP 890 errors and by no fault or changes which were made by me.   I have a 720 dpi HDCP enabled video projector on the HDMI outlet of my 722 receiver and I also have the 3 component and 2 analog cables going out of my 722 receiver over to my HD "kitchen TV".  For years I watched the kitchen TV all day and only powered on the HDMI projector for a few nights per week for movies.   Now I cannot watch any premium TV (get dish 890 HDCP error") on the kitchen TV quite often (happens every few days).  I believe this happens when the receiver reboots outside of my control and the projector is not turned on. 

I fix the problem by turning on the projector, waiting for it to warm up, then wait the 3 days (just kidding, 15 minutes maybe) for the receiver to reboot, then I turn off my  projector and can watch the kitchen TV again.   This is quite time consuming and wears out my projector bulb, something that I only need to use a few evenings each week.

How can I resolve this without having to constantly power on my HDMI/HDCP projector, reboot my receiver and then be OK until the next time that Dish somehow automatically recycles my receiver and the projector is not on when the receiver comes back up?

Can I add a HDMI splitter or something and route it to some device that is always powered on to stop this from happening after the recent changes at Dish that implemented that causes this constant 890 error?  Thanks!

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

turn off/on is a solution if you don't care how it done

a splitter with HDCP support is other very good solution (did we discuss it ? did we post models what works for us ?), but will cost you $20-50

#39 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

If you go the HDMI switch route, get a good one that comes with a power supply. I have a number of the Kinivo switches that Amazon sells and they work perfectly with my setup.

I've tried every $7 - $15 switch that Amazon sells and they all have failed in very short order. These Kinivo switches have been flawless for months.

3 port switch is $29 and the 5 port switch in $39.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DBSTalk mobile app

#40 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

Here's the 3 port switch:

Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p http://www.amazon.co...t_ws_us?ie=UTF8

A powered switch that is actually HDCP compliant *should* get you passed your problem, because when the receiver restarts the HDCP handshake would be made with the switch which should keep your other outputs active.

Try it, and if it doesn't work, send the switch back to Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by dualsub2006, 20 March 2014 - 06:27 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...