Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole-Home DVR Service with newer receivers H25+ (DECA only)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twowheelchopper

twowheelchopper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have 3 DTV receivers in separate locations I have connected with ethernet connections (without DECA) to use Whole-Home DVR Service. Since the newer receivers are not coming with ethernet ports and will rely on DECA, what will my options be in the future if I get a new receiver(s) with out the ethernet port? Keep in mind I want to keep equipment cost low.

My current setup:
1 - MPEG-4 Compatible "Slim line" Ka/Ku Band Dish (Non-SWM)
1 - Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch (WB68)
1 - HR21
2 - H21s

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

H25s require SWiM, so the only option would be to upgrade to SWiM if you get an H25. The HR34 definitely requires SWiM. It may be that most/all future models will require SWiM.

#3 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

If you order your equipment through DirecTV, they will require "rolling a truck" for install. The installer should upgrade you to SWM free of charge, and convert your MRV to DECA unless you stop them.
I WANT MY PAC-12 Network & PAC-12 Mountain Network!!

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have 3 DTV receivers in separate locations I have connected with ethernet connections (without DECA) to use Whole-Home DVR Service. Since the newer receivers are not coming with ethernet ports and will rely on DECA, what will my options be in the future if I get a new receiver(s) with out the ethernet port? Keep in mind I want to keep equipment cost low.

My current setup:
1 - MPEG-4 Compatible "Slim line" Ka/Ku Band Dish (Non-SWM)
1 - Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch (WB68)
1 - HR21
2 - H21s

At some point you will likely be forced to SWM which has it's advantages and perhaps negotiate a Whole Home upgrade on the cheap in the process.

I've used an ICK (pre wireless Internet Connection Kit) to integrate 2 H25s to my SWM 8 using DECA while my 7 DVRS run Ethernet on my SWM16 and it's a seamless integration.

Your dish could be used to feed a SWM8 and with a BSF and a green label splitter you could add the current CCK and maintain your Ethernet but at some point really you may be best served just negotiating a good price on a WHDVR upgrade and let DTV drive the bus for you.

My setup is for all intents and purposes a commercial install due to size and scope and currently I am best served on the hybrid I have but as the technology matures I look forward to becoming a passenger on the bus myself.

Don "someday" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...