Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR512 Noise?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pghDave3017

pghDave3017

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

I just received a 512 as a replacement for our ancient 510 that finally died. This 512 is very noisy -- can't say for sure if it's the hard drive noise or a fan. But the noise never takes a break, even when the receiver is off.

It's a faint, higher-pitched noise that certainly is the kind of noise that grates on you and eventually causes you to do horrible things like chop the DVR with an axe in the middle of the night.

Is this the nature of the 512 or do I have a bad one???

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

pghDave3017,

I would be happy to assist you with this issue. Is the receiver in an enclosed area where it may not be getting sufficient ventilation? Can you tell if it is overheating? Please let me know. Thanks.

#3 OFFLINE   pghDave3017

pghDave3017

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

I call Dish and they sent a replacement 512 that is much quieter so there was something wrong with the first receiver. It was very loud, all the time and never quieted down even after long periods of inactivity. Sounded like hard drive noise. The new one has a very faint drive noise -- Yea!

The dish techs were very accommodating.

So all is well now. Thanks.

#4 ONLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

You're welcome. If you need anything else, please PM me. Thanks.

spam firewall