Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish OTA EPG issues Discussion

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

This thread is for discussing issues with the OTA EPG.

Please report your specific problems in the designated thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196371

... then you can come back to this thread and discuss the issue further or relate your experiences in having Dish resolve the troubles.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 23 September 2011 - 02:44 PM.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

It has been almost 4 months since my first request for EPG info for Portland ME's WPXT 5.2 was made to Dish by email. In the past I have requested EPG for 3 other Portland subchannels and those requests have been granted in a matter of weeks if not days.

These requests previously had been made by me via email to dishquality@echostar.com. The persons at that address used to be great at responding, telling me to email back if I did not see the EPG info within 2 weeks. Now my emails get no response.

Has Dish changed it's policy on customer service for these requests? Can we get confirmation from a DIRT member that Dish is still willing to add EPG info for OTA subchannels.

John

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

jscudder,

I will forward your request to clarify if the procedure has changed. The OTA EPG information is streamed with the video and audio and sent to the receiver. OTA EPG is not available without locals provided through us. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, I would appreciate that. I do subscribe to Dish Locals and can receive 18 OTA channels and sub-channels. The above mentioned sub-channel is the only one that does not have EPG info.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm still waiting for "Antenna TV" on WJW-DT 8.2 (Cleveland OH). I've been posting about this one since January.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm still waiting for "Antenna TV" on WJW-DT 8.2 (Cleveland OH). I've been posting about this one since January.

Our viewing area is just the opposite we get"Antenna TV" programming information,it's the MeTV in the Fresno-Visalia area that has no program information in my OTA section of my 722k's UI(yellow).:confused:

But in my HDTV which has Vizio's Internet Apps I can access TV Guide's programming widget and it shows all the programming information for all my OTA channels that are missing in my 722k's MT2 UI?.:confused:

#7 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hooray!! EPG info for 51.2 ME-TV in Portland ME appeared tonight. It has been a long wait.

Thank you Ray C@DISH. It looks like the folks who take care of the OTA EPG are still listening.

John

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hooray!! EPG info for 51.2 ME-TV in Portland ME appeared tonight. It has been a long wait.

Thank you Ray C@DISH. It looks like the folks who take care of the OTA EPG are still listening.

John

Good news! I hope Cleveland's Antenna TV is not far behind.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

Still no Antenna TV EPG data here in Cleveland. I deleted and readded several OTA stations. About all that did was to correct a different subchannel's name in the guide. Me TV showed up as Weather on WOIO 19.2 because that is what WOIO had ontheir subchannel before Me TV came on the air. The guide data was there all along, just the name of the channel needed to be changed.

WEWS 5.2 has "Living Well" on 5.2, when I rescanned it in I could see the name change on the Add Channels screen.

I'll have to wait and see if any programs populate the guide tonight (I scanned last night and have not checked back since the nightly reboot).

#10 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Just wondering, when you put these requests in does anyone at Dish actually add them?

I don't see any follow ups that guide data is now there.

I am looking at switching form Direct to Dish and Two Hoppers as DirecTV has officially STOPPEd adding any new guide data for new digital sub channels.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

It has been a while since I have seen any activity by Dish to fix EPG errors, including ones they have semi-recently broken themselves... but since I have been asked in the past to get feedback on OTA EPG issues, I encourage people to post in the reporting thread so that Dish gets a wider view of just how many customers and how many DMAs have EPG issues.

#12 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

I would also need PMs, from those having EPG issues, with their receiver numbers, a description of the problem, and the channels they are experiencing the problems on. I will submit a trouble report so we can look into this. Thanks.

It has been a while since I have seen any activity by Dish to fix EPG errors, including ones they have semi-recently broken themselves... but since I have been asked in the past to get feedback on OTA EPG issues, I encourage people to post in the reporting thread so that Dish gets a wider view of just how many customers and how many DMAs have EPG issues.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

I would also need PMs, from those having EPG issues, with their receiver numbers, a description of the problem, and the channels they are experiencing the problems on. I will submit a trouble report so we can look into this. Thanks.

Ray,

In this case we are talking about specific channels that Dish does not have the proper EPG data in their uplink... so it wouldn't be a problem limited to a specific receiver or customer. It would be a particular channel/DMA issue that Dish would need to address for all customers in that market regardless of the receiver model.

IF it would help get attention from Dish, though, I could certainly help encourage users to send you a PM when they post in the trouble report thread.

#14 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

I just discovered something strange with OTA (Denver) local channel info and how the guide physically responds.

I have three DISH channels for one local:
The DISH SD Channel 012-00 has all the info intact and you can navigate through it.
DISH's HD 012-00 is missing info in slots where the SD channel has it. AND once in a "No Info Available" slot you can only move up, down and back, but not forward from a No Info block to a No Info block.
The OTA channel matches the DISH HD channel verbatim in all respects.
But the sub-OTA 012-01, 012-02 & 012-3 channels all have info and navigation is fine.

This is very curious that the DISH SD channel is just fine, but the HD and OTA versions are identical in what's missing or present and you can not navigate forward once you encounter a No Info block. AND the other OTA's are complete.

Thought I'd just add this to the conversation on OTA issues.

#15 OFFLINE   jc8097654

jc8097654

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

So has Dish Network dismantled their department that handles EPG errors as it appears no progress is being made on these issues? I cannot get a straight answer from any of the Dish Reps on these boards, very frustrating for someone who just switched to Dish Network!

#16 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Do you think that these changes are taking place because Charlie stepped down? If these issues as well as others DISH will lose some if it's customers?

#17 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Over the Air Guide Data for Digital Sub Channels is very important to many since Dish does not call all locals.

In some areas they carry the Big 4 Networks and maybe PBS and the CW.

To get all the other like

Retro TV
METV
This TV
Live Well
PBS Kids
PBS World
Antenna TV
Local Weather and News
That Music channel (cant think of name)
and more

We need Dish reading this thread and FIXING any EPG issues. With out guide data for Over the Air its hard to watch these channels.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#18 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Our viewing area is just the opposite we get"Antenna TV" programming information,it's the MeTV in the Fresno-Visalia area that has no program information in my OTA section of my 722k's UI(yellow).:confused:

But in my HDTV which has Vizio's Internet Apps I can access TV Guide's programming widget and it shows all the programming information for all my OTA channels that are missing in my 722k's MT2 UI?.:confused:

Well now I use a 922/wMT2 but the same problem is there no MeTV OTA programming information and now it's worse because Vizio lost the TV Guide widget in their Internet Apps. I could use before.It's interesting because we recieve the programming information for THiS network and AntennaTV in my MT2 guide.:whatdidid:hair:

#19 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I am almost happy with the EPG.

I recently started getting info for KSTP and KSTC, both owned by Hubbard Broadcasting. At least all except for 45-05. This channel is a temporary place holder to direct the user to 05-45, but it also caries the programming that used to be on 05-02.

Included are 05-03, MeTV and 05-04, THiS.

Now if they could get the switched information on 09-02, KMSP fixed. It still shows program info for 29-00, WFTC, where it should show the same as 09-00, KMSP.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#20 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

E* needs to have an OTA guide "Team" to sort this mess out. They also need to educate ALL their staff so the bogus comment "If we don't carry the channel on the satellite you will not get guide data" will no longer be uttered.

I can testify that:
A: You may get OOM OTA guide data
B: You may get subchannel guide data for networks not carried
C: What you get or don't get varies by DMA

A dedicated team could get this fixed. We are paying for DVR service so this issue should not get swept under the rug!

NOTE: I have been reporting the OTA guide issues for my DVR in the Cleveland DMA since the beginning and nothing has ever changed, in fact due to a subchannel swap done by the local station I no longer get THIS guide data (WUAB 43.3, formerly 43.2 which is now Bounce w/data). THIS was the very first OTA subchannel that I did get guide data from and now it's gone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...