Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish OTA EPG issues Discussion

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Agree. I'm very disappointed in the lack of movement from Dish and lack of acknowledgement that there even is a problem.

Heck, I've posted before that Dish actually broke one of the OTA sub-channels last year and I think they still uplink the EPG data but just broke the link to it and linked 2 channels to the same data for some reason.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Agree. I'm very disappointed in the lack of movement from Dish and lack of acknowledgement that there even is a problem.

Heck, I've posted before that Dish actually broke one of the OTA sub-channels last year and I think they still uplink the EPG data but just broke the link to it and linked 2 channels to the same data for some reason.

That is essentially what I have with KMSP-SD, 009-02. Both it and WFTC, 029-01 are linked to the same WFTC guide data. Whereas 009-02 should be the same as KMSP, 009-00. :mad:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#23 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

E* needs to have an OTA guide "Team" to sort this mess out. They also need to educate ALL their staff so the bogus comment "If we don't carry the channel on the satellite you will not get guide data" will no longer be uttered.

I can testify that:
A: You may get OOM OTA guide data
B: You may get subchannel guide data for networks not carried
C: What you get or don't get varies by DMA

A dedicated team could get this fixed. We are paying for DVR service so this issue should not get swept under the rug!

NOTE: I have been reporting the OTA guide issues for my DVR in the Cleveland DMA since the beginning and nothing has ever changed, in fact due to a subchannel swap done by the local station I no longer get THIS guide data (WUAB 43.3, formerly 43.2 which is now Bounce w/data). THIS was the very first OTA subchannel that I did get guide data from and now it's gone.

Some over at the other site have reported having success by emailing dishquality@echostar.com .Think I'm going to give it a try see what happens.;)

Edited by Jhon69, 10 March 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

No "www." on that e-mail.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#25 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

No "www." on that e-mail.

Thanks Bobabird,wondered why I had a delivery failure.Will change and resend.Thanks again.:)

#26 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Visiting relatives in a small population size DMA.

Only One out of the Seven over the air channels have guide data which makes it hard to imposing to record or know when to watch anything. None of the channels are up on the Sat

They have called dish three times once each year to open a ticket for the missing guide data. They even paid extra for the over the air module tuner

Sure sounds like Dish does not care about over the air guide data, but they sure will take your money and sell you a tuner. It would be so easy to add the guide data. Tribue already has the data. Dish just needs to type in the link to there table for locals. Some cities almost have all there guide data others have almost none.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#27 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Visiting relatives in a small population size DMA.

Only One out of the Seven over the air channels have guide data which makes it hard to imposing to record or know when to watch anything. None of the channels are up on the Sat

They have called dish three times once each year to open a ticket for the missing guide data. They even paid extra for the over the air module tuner

Sure sounds like Dish does not care about over the air guide data, but they sure will take your money and sell you a tuner. It would be so easy to add the guide data. Tribue already has the data. Dish just needs to type in the link to there table for locals. Some cities almost have all there guide data others have almost none.

Since every DMA is carried at least in SD, the guide data should be available. Unless the OTA signals are translators and not the main station's signals.

This needs to be fixed, as you say customers purchase OTA modules. At least they can watch the stations, but guide data is essential.
BTW: What DMA and do you know which stations are not getting guide data?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#28 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

Some over at the other site have reported having success by emailing dishquality@echostar.com .Think I'm going to give it a try see what happens.;)

Please let us know how that works out. You may want to let them know about the threads here so they can see your issues are not an isolated incident (as has been the approach by many tech support personnel I have spoken with in the past).

#29 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Please let us know how that works out. You may want to let them know about the threads here so they can see your issues are not an isolated incident (as has been the approach by many tech support personnel I have spoken with in the past).

Received a reply pretty quick(next business day) here's what it said:

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

I will forward this information off to the appropriate department to see what can be done. As soon as I get any information on this issue, I will be sure and update you. If you have not heard anything from me in about 10 business days please email me again so that I may revisit this again.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

#30 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Still no fix I emailed them again two weeks ago and no reply.Thank maybe they are tired of hearing from me?.The ironic thing is that the programming information is being supplied in different parts of the USA,just not my area.

Guess I will start using Titan TV listings online as it seems they don't have a problem with channel programming information.:rolleyes:

#31 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Woke up this morning to see the programming information for MeTV in my OTA DISH guide.

Thank You DISH!.:D:goodjob::)

Edited by Jhon69, 30 May 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Woke up this morning to see the programming information for MeTV in my OTA DISH guide.
Thank You DISH!.:D:goodjob::)

It's great to have the EPG info isn't it. I started getting my MeTV info almost two months ago, along with THIS. :hurah:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#33 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Still no programming information for Antenna TV, 23.3, here in the Seattle area.

#34 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Please provide your receiver number to me in a PM and I will submit a trouble report. Please include the call letters for the channel. Thanks.

Still no programming information for Antenna TV, 23.3, here in the Seattle area.

#35 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

It's great to have the EPG info isn't it. I started getting my MeTV info almost two months ago, along with THIS. :hurah:

Yes it is!.:D

But I guess I'm easy as I don't have programming information for one of my THiS channels,but I get 2 of them(I get channels north and south of my residence,so I end up having repeat channels sometimes) so I can see what's on, on the other one,so no complaints.:)

#36 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Until they get it fixed the programming information should be available at Titan TV.:)

#37 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Finally somebody is getting this longtime issue resolved!

Ray, can I send you my list of missing (and incorrect) guide data channels for the Cleveland DMA?

#38 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Until they get it fixed the programming information should be available at Titan TV.:)

I know that I can check TitanTV or TVGuide.com, I've been doing that for over a year! But that's not the point of this thread & your reply comes across as insulting. :icon_dumm

#39 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Received a reply pretty quick(next business day) here's what it said:

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

I will forward this information off to the appropriate department to see what can be done. As soon as I get any information on this issue, I will be sure and update you. If you have not heard anything from me in about 10 business days please email me again so that I may revisit this again.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

I know that I can check TitanTV or TVGuide.com, I've been doing that for over a year! But that's not the point of this thread & your reply comes across as insulting. :icon_dumm

OK I apologize it was not meant to be.Suggest you do what I did email dishquality@echostar.com,also email the station manager.It worked for me,Good Luck!:)

#40 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Apology accepted, thank you.

The only time I've e-mail the quality team I got a reply that OTA wasn't their concern. Kind of makes you not want to try. Much the same type of response I got in the forums (before DIRT). We'll see what happens, but I certainly won't hold my breath.

spam firewall