Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Smart DTV DVR?"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NinerK

NinerK

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

All these smart TV's and GoogleTV have me ready to browse on my TV. Is there anything like GoogleTV DTV?

I called and the one person said "we'll send you our media connection kit, you can watch your netflix on there!"

I asked him a couple more questions and he transferred me to someone who knew less about the DTV equipment.

So, is there anything DTV currently offers or that maybe someone here has heard is in the works that will let us browse and download apps?

This would be most excellent, for example, DirecTV Cinema has limited episodes on demand for HBO, but HBOGO has em' all.....
Go Niners!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NinerK

NinerK

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

We currently have an HR20 and it is connected to our WiFi......just thought I would check to see if DTV has anything in the works before getting yet another box in the form of Google TV, or something similar. Thank you.
Go Niners!

#3 ONLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

Directv does not offer type of box that will let you watch netflix or any other online video service, except for youtube (built in under the smart search feature). The cinema connection kit is for connecting swm networked dvr's to the internet to receive on demand and directv cinema.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

I think there will be "something" but I don't see a partnership between DIRECTV and Netflix. DIRECTV has their own on demand library. They also have their own apps.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   NinerK

NinerK

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

I think there will be "something" but I don't see a partnership between DIRECTV and Netflix. DIRECTV has their own on demand library. They also have their own apps.

DTV Apps? Like the YouTube one? Am I missing out on apps with my old HR20? Only reason I ask is because a CSR told me that my HR20 does everything the new onese do.

Perhaps she just didn't feel like listening to me talk her sending a free DVR?
Go Niners!

#6 OFFLINE   NinerK

NinerK

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

DTV Apps? Like the YouTube one? Am I missing out on apps with my old HR20? Only reason I ask is because a CSR told me that my HR20 does everything the new onese do.

Perhaps she just didn't feel like listening to me talk her sending a free DVR?

Just googled "directvapps' on the DTV page now.....
Go Niners!

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,766 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

You can get YouTube now on your HR20 via Search.
You can get HBO GO on your computer by signing up with your DirecTV web password.

I use both, but only on the computer, except for testing. Some newer TVs will allow NetFlix streaming on them, but here again, I generally watch Flix on my laptop.

GO NINERS!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall