Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pan Am OAD 09/26/2011 Pilot

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Québec, Canada, Karine Vanasse is a powerful actress. I hope we'll see her in other shows in this country. What I'd give for a CBCA to go along with BBCA.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

Posted Image
An extraordinary natural beauty, and accomplished actress. Canadian and British actresses have to go through serious stage training. American actresses have to go through serious casting couch training. Pan Am feels like 5 high school actresses in with a seasoned pro. Kari should have her own show...I'd watch!

#43 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Kari should have her own show...I'd watch!

When Pan Am finally fails she will. She was the only thing that stood out as great about the show to me while I was still watching it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#44 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

Yeah, and this last ep with the super-weak Haiti plot following the brutally preachy and heavy-handed interracial romance ep does not bode well for its continuance. Berlin and Paris were fun and set a high standard that neither the budget nor the writers can maintain. The US scenes have been uniformly awful. Too bad, there was real potential there.

Just when the show shows a glimmer of intelligence and depth, they dumb it down with more of this lame high-school bickering between the US girls. Which goes nowhere week after week.

This is why Jason Katims and Mathew Weiner and JJ Abrams and David Chase make the big bucks. They don't allow their scripts or casting to fall short of a show's full potential.

Here's hoping somebody throws Kari a life preserver as this one seeks a watery grave.

#45 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

According to TVbytheNumbers:

People who can read knew that Pan Am was canceled 11 days ago when ABC made its mid-season schedule announcement and ordered only one more episode of Pan Am as schedule spackle. But sometimes "hope" fogs up the reading glasses. The glasses (and hope) were wiped clean this morning when the lovely Karine Vanasse who plays Colette Valois on the show tweeted:

Well, we received THE call, #PanAm is only coming back for one more episode after Christmas. But up to the end, we'll give it our all !

She later clarified that the cast only has one more episode to shoot while the show has 5 to air until February. In the meantime ABC maintains that renewal of the show is still up in the air.

I sure hope we get to see the talented Karine Vanasse on another show soon!

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#46 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Too bad. Pan Am had great promise. So far I've only seen three or four eps, and enjoyed them a lot.

#47 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Pan Am debuted to strong numbers in September (3.2 rating, 11m viewers) but pretty much each week has lost viewers, down to a 1.8 rating and 5.6m viewers the week before thanksgiving.

The idea for the show was pretty interesting, but I think it's clear from the ratings that this show failed in execution. Each week the uneven writing and poor casting choices chased away more viewers.

It's one thing to try and win new viewers, but once they've watched your show and decided they don't like it, it's much more difficult to win them back. It's unfortunate, but the producers killed a show with a lot of promise.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#48 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Pan Am debuted to strong numbers in September (3.2 rating, 11m viewers) but pretty much each week has lost viewers, down to a 1.8 rating and 5.6m viewers the week before thanksgiving.

The idea for the show was pretty interesting, but I think it's clear from the ratings that this show failed in execution. Each week the uneven writing and poor casting choices chased away more viewers.

It's one thing to try and win new viewers, but once they've watched your show and decided they don't like it, it's much more difficult to win them back. It's unfortunate, but the producers killed a show with a lot of promise.

I completely agree! It is more like a preachy soap now, without the appeal of Desperate Housewives or The Good Wife. I like the Collette character and I like the character of the stewardess who moonlights for the CIA. But I can't stand Christina Ricci, and she is terrible in this role. And the younger sister character is far too naive and innocent to even be real. The pilots are growing on me, but I didn't really like them at first.

I also hated the plot line with the pilot sleeping with the Exec's secretary. It came off as contrived and forced, and I didn't feel any real chemistry between them.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

As we are coming up on the season (and perhaps series) finale this coming Sunday (ABC will run the Academy Awards on the last Sunday of February), we thought that last week was a far better written episode than any to date.

The LA Times has a piece interviewing writer-producer Steven Maeda who was brought in mid-season to try to fix it:

Did it feel like you were hired to save a sinking ship?

It was tough the first couple weeks but a lot of it was moving things along. We have to come up with a new script every eight days. But it works and we're all happy with the show.

I feel creatively it's working right now. For me, the show is good with having fun with the era, the entanglements and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Some of the gripes included that it was more about the globe-trotting aspect, not the characters.

We tried to focus on that and what the characters are about and will do so moving forward. Should we have the chance to be renewed we will focus and expand beyond the stewardess world. We have lots of stories to tell about the characters....

Final thoughts about the finale episode to the viewers?

Please watch the finale live and if you like it, write an email to ABC and let them know. We tie up some loose ends but we also add some new threads in there to explore later. But, should we not get picked up, it's a sendoff to the show viewers will be happy with.

The show could have been great, and given an opportunity Maeda might be able to create a different show from the wreckage. Whether that's affordable is in doubt.

My AV Setup

#50 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

As we are coming up on the season (and perhaps series) finale this coming Sunday (ABC will run the Academy Awards on the last Sunday of February), we thought that last week was a far better written episode than any to date.

The LA Times has a piece interviewing writer-producer Steven Maeda who was brought in mid-season to try to fix it: The show could have been great, and given an opportunity Maeda might be able to create a different show from the wreckage. Whether that's affordable is in doubt.

When do they normally announce whether or not they keep a series? I'm curious about Pan Am and Revenge.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#51 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

When do they normally announce whether or not they keep a series? I'm curious about Pan Am and Revenge.

Revenge is a lock for renewal, as it's one of ABC's most successful new shows this year. There's been no official word, but with the way things were framed in the press about the "final episode," I wouldn't count on Pan Am coming back.

#52 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have to agree. Baring something REALLY unexpected, Pan Am is finished.:(
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#53 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Revenge is a lock for renewal, as it's one of ABC's most successful new shows this year. There's been no official word, but with the way things were framed in the press about the "final episode," I wouldn't count on Pan Am coming back.

I'm glad Revenge will be coming back. I really don't care much if Pan Am does but other people in my family enjoy the show.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#54 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

from deadlinehollywooddaily:

Pan Am co-star Karine Vanasse is set to co-star in a new ABC drama project. The Quebec-born actress has been cast in the drama pilot Scruples. Executive produced by Tony Krantz and Natalie Portman, the project is based on the novel by Judith Krantz and centers on rich and powerful clothing designer Billy Winthrop in a world of sex, revenge and scandal.

Scruples - ick.
But at least Karine will get to show off her sultry side ;)

ps - that probably means Pan Am is dead.

#55 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

from deadlinehollywooddaily:

Pan Am co-star Karine Vanasse is set to co-star in a new ABC drama project. The Quebec-born actress has been cast in the drama pilot Scruples. Executive produced by Tony Krantz and Natalie Portman, the project is based on the novel by Judith Krantz and centers on rich and powerful clothing designer Billy Winthrop in a world of sex, revenge and scandal.

Scruples - ick.
But at least Karine will get to show off her sultry side ;)

ps - that probably means Pan Am is dead.

I agree. I never liked Scruples, nor novels/shows similar. I'd like to see Karine move over to The Good Wife. Or, if she has to stay on ABC, Body of Proof, or even Castle.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#56 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Just finished the last two episodes (or whatever that 2nd to last aired one was, I think it was supposed to be aired in November) With a screw up like that it doesn't sound like ABC thought much of it.

Bummer it was different and had promise.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

As the networks announce their renewals, from Deadline Hollywood:

In an ironic twist of fate, on the same day ABC renewed its first batch of series for next season, the network’s long-forgotten freshman Pam Am won the best series category at this year’s Rose d’Or awards, considered Europe’s top television honors. On this side of the pond Pan Am was not among the seven scripted series renewed by ABC today. It is unlikely to be among the second wave of the network’s renewals tomorrow either, though ABC has not officially passed on the series, which started off great but quickly lost traction with viewers.

Unless it has a change of heart, ABC is poised to officially cancel Pan Am, but that may not be the end of the period drama about the iconic U.S. airline. As evident by the Rose d’Or award, it enjoys strong popularity in Europe and has been a big international seller for producer Sony TV, which would love to see it continue. I hear there is a potential cable play eyed for the series if/when it is released by ABC. Unless European broadcasters swoop in and pick it up. If only they could afford it….

My AV Setup

#58 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

without it's best actress, French-Canadian Karine Vanasse, I don't see this getting picked up by a cable network. She's likely a big draw for Europeans and so the show won't do as well without her.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...