Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Terra Nova: "Genesis", OAD 9/26/11 pilot

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

To avoid the "hover" spoiler, I'll I just say special effects were pretty good, much better than the 1974 series "Land of the Lost."

Edited by phrelin, 27 September 2011 - 01:09 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

Beyond that, I was disappointed. The dialogue writing was awful. Yeah, the action was there, the 35 backstories for future episode plots have been introduced, but even in two hours that felt crammed in.

The cast is fine if they find a couple of new writers and get rid of the committee of suits who had their heavy hands all over it.

It'll probably be a fine family drama of folks living in the middle of the Cretaceous period (the period after the Jurassic period and before the Paleogene Period) with big bugs and dinosaurs, tribal conflict, etc.

The Cretaceous period was cancelled by one of the largest mass extinctions in Earth history (the causes perhaps being ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" and the CBS Monday night comedy lineup).

I'll watch it for a few more episodes, but frankly even Spielberg's "Falling Skies" this past summer and Brannon Braga's "FlashForward" of two years ago impressed me more.

If you want a complete summary, Entertainment Weekly's James Hibberd offers a scene by scene recap here.

Edited by phrelin, 27 September 2011 - 12:36 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

My wife and I enjoyed it...

There are a few things we were disappointed in... like the old-tired story line, the teenage boy... mad at dad, for being arrested for protecting his family... and rebelious... and he "is you"...

The several stories that were introduced are interesting... and we will be returning for week two.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

I liked it. I was kind of getting into the Jurrasic Park feel of the show. The dino attack scenes were good. You can tell Spielberg has his hands in it. I will definitely be watching for a few more weeks at least.

Interesting how they got around the butterfly effect. I was wondering how they were going to explain that away. The only thing I don't get is that if nobody can go back, how do the people on the other side know that it's safe to send people through the portal? Did I miss something with that?

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

I liked it. I was kind of getting into the Jurrasic Park feel of the show. The dino attack scenes were good. You can tell Spielberg has his hands in it. I will definitely be watching for a few more weeks at least.

Interesting how they got around the butterfly effect. I was wondering how they were going to explain that away. The only thing I don't get is that if nobody can go back, how do the people on the other side know that it's safe to send people through the portal? Did I miss something with that?

We were wondering that too.

Unless they are doing some sort of Stargate thing, where communications can go through the rift, but not people or material
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Unless they are doing some sort of Stargate thing, where communications can go through the rift, but not people or material

Yeah, they need to clear that up unless that's part of a future story line.

#7 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

"We were wondering that too.

Unless they are doing some sort of Stargate thing, where communications can go through the rift, but not people or material"
----------------------------------

Didn't they send a Telstar-shaped probe into the past, which they recovered in the present. The object could have recorded the first 100 years of exposure in a memory card that was subsequently downloaded in the present. This confirmed that the planet could sustain life.

But one of the characters also stated that their "life stream" was different from the one they were living in the present. So, if that was the case, how could they have found the Telstar-shaped probe in the present?

When one watches any sci-fi flick/show that deals with time travel, you always need to suspend your critical thinking skills.

All that said, don't know if I will continue watching.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#8 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

Do people in 2149 even care if it's safe. After all they're getting rid of excess population.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#9 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

But one of the characters also stated that their "life stream" was different from the one they were living in the present. So, if that was the case, how could they have found the Telstar-shaped probe in the present?

What they said was they never found the probe in the future, so that confirmed in their minds that Terra Nova was an alternate timeline.

However, what if the probe was somehow destroyed in the past.......

Anyway, I'll keep watching, it was fairly enjoyable.

#10 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

They did state that the 6ers problem was purposely not reported back so communication of some type must be possible.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#11 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

not to bad. i will see it again

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

My wife and I enjoyed it...

There are a few things we were disappointed in... like the old-tired story line, the teenage boy... mad at dad, for being arrested for protecting his family... and rebelious... and he "is you"...

The several stories that were introduced are interesting... and we will be returning for week two.

Pretty much my thoughts too, so we'll keep the SL going for now. Some of the tired story line stuff needs to stop though. I just don't like shows that telegraph things so much. Case in point, almost from the get-go did anyone not know that the black girl would bolt from that vehicle? They used the term "OTG" about 4 times like they were trying to be clever. As soon as they crawled under, my wife and I both looked at each other and said "outside the gate".

Also wasn't a big fan of the beginning set up. How did nobody know they had another kid until she was 2 or 3? Why didn't they have a better hiding system? Why did he punch the guy if there was really just going to be a fine (as the son mentioned)? Why would there be just a fine? The escape out of prison seemed to easy as well. And it sure seemed like there were a lot of people walking through that portal. And they've been doing it for years, apparently, right? Yet, it seems the total populaton of Terra Nova is about 50 people.

Anyway, I'm usually up for mindless action.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

I liked it! :)

Naturally, because of this, the ratings were disappointing.

Regardless of how involved he was with the show, the show definitely showed a Spielberg influence... from the focus on family to the sense of wonder created by the premise.

~Alan

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Case in point, almost from the get-go did anyone not know that the black girl would bolt from that vehicle?

I didn't until she started talking about it. I was however surprised that Tash survived.

They used the term "OTG" about 4 times like they were trying to be clever. As soon as they crawled under, my wife and I both looked at each other and said "outside the gate".

I knew they were going outside the gate, and I still didn't catch that... :rolleyes:

How did nobody know they had another kid until she was 2 or 3?

Not a lot of play-dates at the park due to the environment! ;)

Why did he punch the guy if there was really just going to be a fine (as the son mentioned)? Why would there be just a fine?

I took that as more of a way for the son to rationalize his anger at his Dad. Then again, it appears the authorities allowed the Mom to keep Zoe, so perhaps he was right.

Then again, a Dad seeing his daughter crying due to the over-the-top search by the cops (throwing stuff around, etc.) and being picked up by a stranger, would easily cause someone with a hot temper to lose it.

And it sure seemed like there were a lot of people walking through that portal. And they've been doing it for years, apparently, right? Yet, it seems the total populaton of Terra Nova is about 50 people.

Looked like a lot more than 50 to me, but as for the low population number, we don't know how many sixers are out there, how many people there are like Taylor's son, how many people died from diseases like Skye's parents, or how many people have been killed for other reasons (sixers, dinosaurs, etc.).

Anyway, I'm usually up for mindless action.

I'm not saying there weren't holes, or that it was perfect, but I found it FAR from mindless.

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

We enjoyed it and will continue to watch it folowwing our proceedure for such programs:

Disbelief swith>off
Play
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

I recorded the pilot and just finished viewing it. I felt it could have been better but havn't written it off yet. Being science fiction there are many possible scenarios for this series which gives the writers leeway. As for your question, near the end one of the characters mentioned the "real reason" for Terra Nova. Given that the door is open for the other side knowing more and the possibility of round trip transportation to Terra Nova. What I found amazing was how the commercial interruptions multiplied after the first thirty minutes.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'm not saying there weren't holes, or that it was perfect, but I found it FAR from mindless.

~Alan

I agree. There is also good potential for character development. I think the first episode had a good balance between action and story. Having the teenager group also caters to the younger demographic which is expected.

Not a great first episode but not bad either. I don't plan on watching it on Fox again however. Getting really sick of how they compress the audio. Sounds terrible on my home theater system. Will probably stream the episodes from Amazon in Dolby Digital which usually sounds miles ahead. No commercials either. :)

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

Another thing I noticed was the similarity between Steven Lang's character and the one he played in "Avatar". Perhaps he and his followers are not what they seem to be.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

Given that the door is open for the other side knowing more and the possibility of round trip transportation to Terra Nova.

I was not sure (from last night) whether or not it was definitively cleared up as to whether or not the colonists/pilgrims believe round trip transportation is impossible, or simply forbidden.

Another possibility is that they simply do not have the power resources at this time to build a gateway in the past. It almost appeared to me that Taylor's son's drawings were of the device used in the future to transport them to the alternate past timeline.

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

I agree. There is also good potential for character development. I think the first episode had a good balance between action and story. Having the teenager group also caters to the younger demographic which is expected.

The Spielberg influence...

I'm looking forward to seeing more development of Skye myself. I found her character go from just another silly teenage girl to a character with intriguing possibilities. I'd love to know what, if anything, comes out of her scratch.

Not a great first episode but not bad either. I don't plan on watching it on Fox again however. Getting really sick of how they compress the audio. Sounds terrible on my home theater system. Will probably stream the episodes from Amazon in Dolby Digital which usually sounds miles ahead. No commercials either. :)

WOW!! :eek2: I was told multiple times last night to turn my audio down.

~Alan

spam firewall