Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722 slow guide response

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dasjman

dasjman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Got it. Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try when I get home. Is this something that would just randomly happen or did I somehow cause this issue when I was messing with it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

Edited by Inkosaurus, 11 November 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hey guys a quick update, its now in our Known Product Issue database for the 722(k) family, ill just copy and paste some info from it :)

This has been a known issue. See post #11

A slight correction to my post (#11): The front panel buttons will also have the same delay

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#44 OFFLINE   fuzzface

fuzzface

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

I noticed something that may or may not be relevant. In my counters screens, I show 24) Status Scheduled 10/18/11 7:30pm NT NA. The date or course changes every day. My receiver controls go back to "normal" at exactly 7:30pm every day...

#45 OFFLINE   Kerry71

Kerry71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. Very frustrating.

#46 OFFLINE   conradv

conradv

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

This is driving me nuts! I have a Vip722k and end up doing the front panel reboot once a week. I've tried the unplug method but the slow guide comes back whether I do that or the front panel.

I can't believe that Dish Network hasn't solved this yet. It's very frustrating to pay good money for something that is this slow.

(rant off)... lol

#47 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

I apologize for this inconvenience. I show that a software update is still scheduled to resolve this issue - don't know the exact release date. Thanks.

This is driving me nuts! I have a Vip722k and end up doing the front panel reboot once a week. I've tried the unplug method but the slow guide comes back whether I do that or the front panel.

I can't believe that Dish Network hasn't solved this yet. It's very frustrating to pay good money for something that is this slow.

(rant off)... lol

#48 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

My 722(L721) has been doing the slow guide for a long time now, Plus when first hitting the power button it could take up to 5min to respond to Any commands, remote or panel, and if it does not respond after 5min it will reboot, which gives me big holes in my recordings. I have to find the shows somewhere else because I could be missing half the show.
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum
Dish subscriber for 6+ years,
DirectTV DVRer before that, COX DVRer before that
Original ReplyTV owner, boy I miss that thing.

#49 OFFLINE   conradv

conradv

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Just like clockwork, last night another reset. Woo.

#50 OFFLINE   conradv

conradv

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

*sigh* - Same ole same ole.

Directv is looking better and better.

:(

#51 OFFLINE   conradv

conradv

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

I apologize for this inconvenience. I show that a software update is still scheduled to resolve this issue - don't know the exact release date. Thanks.

Back for my weekly rant. Twice in the last 2 days had to reset it.

I've sent emails off to Dish, but i never hear back. I must be using the wrong email adresses... :lol:

#52 OFFLINE   ky_dish_user

ky_dish_user

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

I have been experiencing the same issue a lot of folks on this board are mentioning...when using the the menu guide response if extremely slow. The remote works well at various times (both TV1 and TV2 same experience), but will start to become sluggish and can go on for days like this. I have had this issue off and on since having the VIP722 installed more than a year ago. I personally think this is a software issue that Dish needs to resolve immediately - we are all paying monthly for service that is unacceptable.

Can anyone give me an update on what is being done to fix this issue.

Thanks, Joe Cochran

#53 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

This is a known issue, with a software update pending to fix this problem. I don't know when the software will be released yet. Thanks.

I have been experiencing the same issue a lot of folks on this board are mentioning...when using the the menu guide response if extremely slow. The remote works well at various times (both TV1 and TV2 same experience), but will start to become sluggish and can go on for days like this. I have had this issue off and on since having the VIP722 installed more than a year ago. I personally think this is a software issue that Dish needs to resolve immediately - we are all paying monthly for service that is unacceptable.

Can anyone give me an update on what is being done to fix this issue.

Thanks, Joe Cochran

#54 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

I sent Dish an email saying that I had the issue on my 722k and got an answer. Apparently they consider this a known issue and intend to correct it via software.

OT:

I only hope they can correct it and it's not an enduring problem like the Seagate sleep timer. Oh BTW, I have noticed that about every other attempt to fire up the Seagate ends in the 722k not recognizing the EHD. However, after a few tries (powering down the Seagate), the 722k eventually recognizes it.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#55 OFFLINE   GiantFan

GiantFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

I have a problem that seems to have just started in the last few days with my 722K. The problem appears to be similar to the slow guide issue, but for me includes other buttons/commands as well. Just about any button or command except for power on/off seems to be either very slow, or not working at all. I normally use a Logitech Harmoy remote (Had a 620 that was experiencing other issues so I just upgraded to a Harmony One), and I first thought that this was the issue - but it appears to be any IR - including the dish remote. If I use either the harmony one or the dish IR remote, I can turn the box on and off, but that's about it. Sometimes, If I put the remote right next to the IR port on the receiver, I can get it to respond - but not always. I tried the UHF remote from dish and it seems to work fine - as does the buttons on the front of the receiver. Does this seem to be the same as the slow guide response in this post, or do I have an IR problem with my receiver?

#56 OFFLINE   GiantFan

GiantFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

I just thought I would post what I have found out (and done) to resolve my issues with the slow guide (and with IR commands in general). I posted above that this issue started a few days ago - and while that is true, I did not mention (since I did not think that this was related - but it was), that I also purchased a new LCD TV. My old Toshiba 36inch Tube died, and I replaced it with a new Vizio LCD. The issues started then, but I had thought it was my remote - which has some button issues - so I replaced it (Harmony 620) with a new Harmony One. As stated above, it (and the Dish IR Remote that came with the receiver) both had issues. I did a bit more research and found quite a number of folks that have had issues with the Dish receivers and LCD tv's. Apparently, the IR "noise" from these LCD tv's is interfering with the Dish remotes. On a number of the sites, I saw that one "fix" was to put a piece of paper (in my case I used a lime green sticky note) over the receiver IR port. I did this, and voila, the guide started working and all commands seemed to work fine as well. Apparently, this was the problem all along. Not sure if my sticky note solution will be the long term one, but for now - it seems to be working...

#57 OFFLINE   rick999

rick999

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

I too have been experiencing the slow response time from the remote when trying to change chanels or bring up the guide.

This all started about 6 months ago, but I have had little time to try to address it, but now it is becomming so annoying that I plan on sending a letter notifying Dish that I will break the contract and terminate service if they do not fix.

I've been on the phone for nearly an hour at a time....totally senseless and foolish procedures wasting my time. Worse I am a technical person, and I try to explain that the procedures they are stepping me through are a complete waste of time.

The last time, at my wits end on another of their silly steps, they INSISTED on sending me a remote....how stupid....it obviously has NOTHING to do with the remote.

As for the "solution" in covering the IR and that it is interference....no way....but just to eliminate a possibility I got a blanket and put it over the box and tried using the remote under the blanket directly in front of the box...NO DIFFERENCE.

When I click on the guide, it will take up to 2 or 3 seconds. Scrolling through the hourly on a channel is EXREMELY painful to the point I dont even use this feature.

Inexplicably some days it is better than others. HARD BOOTS DO NO GOOD WHATSOVER!!!

I believe this all started with a software upgrade from DISH months back. I also believe it is somehow related to the VOD and when they implemented that....just seems too coicedental.

We have 2 units....the VIP722 and in the other part of our home we have the non DVR units. Both of those units perform FLAWLESSLY.

It is ONLY the VIP722 causing the grief. It affects BOTH TV's on the unit.

There is NO way this is attributed to "interference" from the other remote. There is only two of us in the home, and this happens ALL THE TIME, when the other TVs are not in use.

We had no problems with DISH until we updated all our units earlier this year, and ever since all sorts of issues.

One other issue is with the HDMI cable on TV1. Ever since installation, after the unit went into standby at night, in the morning we would get a "no signal error". THe only way to get it out of this error was to hard boot the VIP722. After more phone calls, and rediculous procedures over the phone, I finally got them to escalate it to Level 2 support. After talking to several people I finally talked to someone WHO TOLD ME THAT THERE IS A KNOWN PROBLEM with HDMI on the 722VIP and that I had to remove the cable and use the Component option instead.

They further told me that they hoped to have a fix soon, but that was 9 months ago, and now I call in, they lost my ticket number for this call and they claim to no NOTHING about an HDMI problem. Very Frustrating.

In any event, if these issues are not resolved soon, I'm out of DISH and going to try Uverse which just came to our area.

#58 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

I just thought I would post what I have found out (and done) to resolve my issues with the slow guide (and with IR commands in general). I posted above that this issue started a few days ago - and while that is true, I did not mention (since I did not think that this was related - but it was), that I also purchased a new LCD TV. My old Toshiba 36inch Tube died, and I replaced it with a new Vizio LCD. The issues started then, but I had thought it was my remote - which has some button issues - so I replaced it (Harmony 620) with a new Harmony One. As stated above, it (and the Dish IR Remote that came with the receiver) both had issues. I did a bit more research and found quite a number of folks that have had issues with the Dish receivers and LCD tv's. Apparently, the IR "noise" from these LCD tv's is interfering with the Dish remotes. On a number of the sites, I saw that one "fix" was to put a piece of paper (in my case I used a lime green sticky note) over the receiver IR port. I did this, and voila, the guide started working and all commands seemed to work fine as well. Apparently, this was the problem all along. Not sure if my sticky note solution will be the long term one, but for now - it seems to be working...

If you cover the IR port with anything won't you also block those IR signals from your remote ?... or are you using RF instead?

As implausible as it sounded, I did your procedure on my 722k. As I expected, all IR signals were blocked

Thinking that perhaps you meant to cover the IR port from LOS with my LG TV's IR signals, I place the paper over the top of the IR port, but left the port basically uncovered and in LOS of my DISH remote ... no changes noted.

So, for me it was a wash. :mad:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#59 OFFLINE   rick999

rick999

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

I'm glad that it worked for the other person, but I think it was coincidental more than anything.

Like I tried to explain to the Dish Tech person...it cannot be the remote, because if I press and let go....and then wait 5 seconds for something to come up, it is quite obvious that the vip722 got the signal....because it is eventually processed correctly. Then they reply...duh..."maybe it is not getting there fast enough"...to which I remind them that the signal is travelling at the speed of light!

Obviously there is something going on inside the unit, where there is some sort of "bottleneck" in processing the incoming transmission.

I too like someone else earlier believe that it has something to do with the VOD. This problem seemed to have started around the time VOD became active.

Also....again this might be coincidental, but the problems seem to be during the day and at night. In the early hours not so much a problem. Dont know why...but again might be coincidental.....is the VOD less active in the wee hours (4am)?

Not going to put up with this much longer.

#60 OFFLINE   conradv

conradv

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

I hear ya. Usually my receiver is good for 3 or 4 days, and then it's back to slow again. A hard boot solves it for another 3 or 4 days.

All you'll hear from the Dish guys is this over and over (and it's getting a little old):

It is a known issue with the 722k receiver. We have a pending software to resolve this issue. Thanks.

spam firewall