Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

onkyo vs denon- looking for the best choice

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

looking to replace my sony str-897 home theater receiver. last 2 sonys didnt last and now am looking at mid level onkyo and denon. the onkyo i am looking at is the onkyo tx-nr609 or the denon avr-1912. anyone with experience with either please weigh in.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,051 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

In general you'll get more features for the money with the Onkyo. The Denon is better quality.
What's important to you and what features are you looking for?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

I can't comment on that particular Denon model, but we've been a Denon household for the past 6 years or so. I love their product. I've heard very good things about Onkyo stuff too though. I think you'd probably be happy with either.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

That's a can't lose proposition, in my book. Both are great.

#5 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

We have had our Onkyo for 2 years now and love it. Easy set up and no issues.

#6 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

I used to be a big Denon fan but my last two receiver purchases were Onkyo. Both are great brands. You should probably be aware of this issues with many Onkyo models recently: http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1339186. My last Onkyo receiver was affected by it and they did fix it. The whole thing kind of soured me on them but not enough to say I would not purchase Onkyo again.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#7 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

that stuff doesnt sound to good with the onkyo lately... i have a 3d tv 5.1 speaker setup have bluray,directv and ps3 that use hdmi...also like the onkyo for the fact you can hook it wirelessly to the internet where as the denon you cant..

#8 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

I've had 2 Denons,I currently have the 3311CI model. I've had Pioneer and Sony in the past. To me Denon is by far the best quality sound imho. If you do decide to get a Denon look online for a used one you can get huge discounts. I bought my 3311 for $750 when at the time of purchase it was over $1400 new in store. Onkyos are great amps but if you want the clarity you'll find in even the lower end Denons you'll have to spend a lot more for a higher end Onkyo amp. What kind of speakers do you have?

#9 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Choosing the "right" brand of AV equipment is a lot like the Chevy vs Ford issue. People develop a brand loyalty and it's an emotional bond...

Choose which one has the features, appearance, price, and sound you like and become a brand {******} zealot.

Denon has a reputation for quality but with that they add price. Onkyo has a great following and definitely has one of the best (if not the best) feature set values in a reasonably priced home AV receiver.

Spec wise the Onkyo concerns me as it's damping factor (its ability to return your speaker to a neutral stage) is low but EVERYBODY that owns one will leap at the chance to say I'm full of horsepucky "they sound GREAT". Bottom line is they are a great value, reasonably priced option in which you'll get extra bells and whistles for your money.

I'm a bit of an audio snob and am emotionally invested in my high end Yamaha receivers (RX-Z11, RX-V3900, and RX-V3800) but my systems have to perform music duty (to my standards) in addition to theater chores and I'm persnickety about my sound (within my budget level or I'd have killer tube amps and the like).

Given the speaker sets most spousal units allow to encroach their decor motifs are compact and rely on the sub for all the real bottom end chores, the Onkyo can be very well suited for most home AV buffs and leave some coin for a spousal "peace offering" in the process.

Don "just food for thought" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#10 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,235 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

Nowdays I would only buy one that can be connected to the web, sometimes it can be the difference between fixing an issue at home, sending it out or not fixing it at all. Having said that I do have an Onkyo (couple years old) that does not connect and love it. If the next model up of the Denon can be connected, I would consier that one too.

Just my opinion, you will probably like both of them.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

I saw in your profile that you have DirecTV. My last Onkyo had an annoying habit when I get the audio glitch, it clicked. When I got my Denon, the sound cuts out but no click.

Don't know if newer Onkyo's have the same issue, but I was glad to get rid of that one.

#12 OFFLINE   Innovative A/V

Innovative A/V

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

I saw in your profile that you have DirecTV. My last Onkyo had an annoying habit when I get the audio glitch, it clicked. When I got my Denon, the sound cuts out but no click.

Don't know if newer Onkyo's have the same issue, but I was glad to get rid of that one.

Thats funny.....my sat dropping out doesn't annoy me but the clicking it causes my amp to do does!!!

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Well, I wish the audio didn't drop out, but its worse on some things than others, maybe it's partly on the channel feed. But yeah, the click was the worst part. I'm really glad I don't have that anymore.

#14 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 paired with Polk speakers. I am very happy with it. The 609 does not have built-in wireless. I am using a 4 port Cisco WES610 media and gaming bridge for it and a couple of other items.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#15 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

Check out the Marantz SR series. Sister company of Denon.

#16 OFFLINE   weevil6772

weevil6772

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Onkyo for me! Love them!

#17 OFFLINE   grif32

grif32

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Owned a few Onkyo's and have set up a ton of them, but once I got my current Denon I will NEVER go back to Onkyo. I just think the Denon sounds so much better. My vote is go with Denon.

Only complaint is Denon's are MUCH harder to setup correctly then the Onkyo's..

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,783 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Sony ES fan here. That aside I'd choose Onkyo over Denon.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

You guys realize this is a year old thread, don't you?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Gotta get those new post counts up.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...