Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often (and why) do you use the Format Button?

hdmi

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: How often do you use the format button to change format (on any given receiver?) (256 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you use the format button to change format (on any given receiver?)

1. At least once a day. (9 votes [3.52%])

Percentage of vote: 3.52%

2. At least once a week. (27 votes [10.55%])

Percentage of vote: 10.55%

3. At least once a month. (13 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

4. At least once each year. (39 votes [15.23%])

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. Never. (168 votes [65.62%])

Percentage of vote: 65.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but there are format options that don't distort the image.

[sorry about the crappy picture, as this came off my H25 and couldn't be paused for the slow shutter speed of my camera]

This in pillar box:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1317653144

Becomes this in crop:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1317653144

This image is 26% larger and undistorted

Attached Thumbnails

• 1-0.png
  • 1-1.png

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Every once in awhile my HR20 will reset itself to 480i and I'll use the button to put it back to 1080i. Other than that, I neither use the button, nor the menu - I set to my preference, and there it stays, regardless of source.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#63 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Never.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#64 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but there are format options that don't distort the image.

While true, I would think that the vast majority of times that someone uses the format button, it distorts the image.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#65 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

THe local stations here can't decide how they want to format their broadcast. Sometimes it is full screen, sometimes it is bars along both the sides and the top. WTH Fox?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#66 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

I voted never but it does get used in my daughter's room to set it back to unaltered when she accidentally hits the button. I didnt figure that really counted.

I have my LG (in the family room) set to display in the format the show is broadcast in so it does that itself. The Sony (in the main living room where everyone watched) isnt set that way because the wife hates when the guide is pillar boxed.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

While true, I would think that the vast majority of times that someone uses the format button, it distorts the image.

"Well" anybody can screw it up. :lol:
Since I got my first HR20, I've found more letterbox SD shows being aired and use the format options than I did in the beginning.
"Back in the day", pillar box was set & left.
A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

Never
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#69 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,091 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Occasionally when I need to set up a new receiver or look into a possible broadcast (display) problem. I voted once a year. I agree with Sixto that the Active button should be removed, or at least give us a way to disable it or to have the receiver ignore it.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#70 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

How often do you use your format button to actually change the format?

And under what circumstances?

I voted more than once a week...

I'm in an MPEG4 market (my locals are in MPEG4 on the KA satellites), so I have all HD-DVRs... even on the two SDTVs I have left.

I prefer OAR, so I usually leave the HDTV channels in Letterbox mode, but occasionally the channels will show something "windowboxed," so I will use the FORMAT button to crop the top, bottom, and sides to show the 4:3 image correctly on my 4:3 TVs. This usually happens numerous times during the week...

To make matters more complicated, I'm using the FORMAT button on some 4:3 channels on my 4:3 SDTVs as well. Granted, that's due to a bug which I hope will be fixed eventually, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

~Alan

#71 OFFLINE   bigjoelee

bigjoelee

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

I use it to stretch, and make the flashing white bar that is on some of the SD channels like TRUtv go away. Why doesn't Directv clip that off anyway.
Joseph

#72 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

I use it to stretch, and make the flashing white bar that is on some of the SD channels like TRUtv go away. Why doesn't Directv clip that off anyway.
Joseph

You should be able to adjust your TV to eliminate that. Directv shouldn't attempt to adjust for overscan issues.

Edited by spartanstew, 03 October 2011 - 01:37 PM.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#73 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Never use it now but a couple of months ago I was using it quite abit but that was before the SD Tv in the living room died and was replaced with and HD Tv now since I have the HD set I have not had the need to change the format.

#74 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Voted never. Settings are 1080i/p and pillar box for one tv. 720p and pillar box for the other. Native off on both.

Edited by redsoxfan26, 03 October 2011 - 01:59 PM.
added native settings

#75 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

I have one 4:3 LCD set that needs occasional adjustments. The other 6 are never touched. It's interesting how useful the button is with older TVs, but once you're on HD, there's no going back. Aside from retro TV shows, I can't watch anything unless it's HD.

#76 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Once I have it set up properly I don't change it and don't know why one would want to change it (I don't watch SD, PERIOD).
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

(I don't watch SD, PERIOD).

BBCA & The Military channel have shows I WANT to watch. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

I have 60+ Pages in my UPL so I have to limit the channels I watch so I don't watch SD at all and hardly have time to watch half of what I record so a lot of stuff gets deleted that never got viewed.

With 7 DVRs and 13,000 Gigabytes of Storage I can use it as a Storage and Archival System and once a month I go thru the UPL and Delete recordings that I deem no longer needing to be kept.

With my Setup you have to periodically perform Maintenance Procedures to get rid of stuff you thought you wanted to watch but never did and now you don't care about it so you delete them.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#79 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

I have 60+ Pages in my UPL so I have to limit the channels I watch so I don't watch SD at all and hardly have time to watch half of what I record so a lot of stuff gets deleted that never got viewed.

With 7 DVRs and 13,000 Gigabytes of Storage I can use it as a Storage and Archival System and once a month I go thru the UPL and Delete recordings that I deem no longer needing to be kept.

With my Setup you have to periodically perform Maintenance Procedures to get rid of stuff you thought you wanted to watch but never did and now you don't care about it so you delete them.

Not everybody has your setup...

... but I too record more stuff than I really have time to watch. However, I don't limit the programs I watch (for the most part) to the HD channels I have, but rather I pick and choose from the programming I want to watch, and sadly, there are still some 20+ channels I watch that DirecTV doesn't offer in HD.

However, and more importantly, most people do not have the money to have nothing but HDTVs in their households. For those of us in MPEG4 households, that's important...

~Alan

#80 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,091 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

BBCA & The Military channel have shows I WANT to watch. :lol:

Plus one on both of those channels. :D

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA