Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Annoying background ringing

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

Other than a few mentions on Twitter, I haven't heard read anything about this...so I'm wondering if it's just me.

Anyway, ever since about mid-August I have heard what sounds like an electronic ringing or buzzing in the background of some channels. The sound is definitely repetitive, meaning that it's the same sound over and over again. I can hear it the loudest during NFL broadcasts on Fox and CBS as well as on other 'live' events (such as the MTV VMAs, the Emmy's).

Can else hear this? I can on two receivers (24-100 and 23-X00) running firmware version 0x4D1. Coincidentally, I didn't notice this ringing UNTIL this upgrade when watching the Steelers-Eagles preseason game on Fox on August 18. Firmware was released the 17th; I forced a new firmware download on both receivers but the sound is still there.

I called DirecTV technical support and they had no idea what I was talking about; they wanted to replace both of my receivers but instead are at least sending a tech out to replace a multiplexer.

Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Get your hearing checked for the beginnings of tinnitus. A reaction like this is not uncommon in early stages before the whole deal settles in.

I've had it 40 years and had to get rid of a computer that made everything worse. There was some subtle frequency that would drive me nuts - that no one else heard.

OTOH, if you're lucky, it's just one piece of equipment and not your hearing.

#3 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Unfortunately my wife hears the same thing that I do; we're both in our 20s so I really doubt this is a medical issue.

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

What type of TV do you have?

#5 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

Samsung - one a 2010 plasma, the other a 2008 lcd - hear it on both.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Welcome to the forums, daveistheblur! :welcome_s

Since yours doesn't sound like tinnitus (which I do have), the other thing I heard today was a bit of 60Hz hum on one or two of the NFL games. (I don't recall which at this point.) Could that be what you are hearing?

The other thing that I've heard from time to time is the case vibrating on some receivers, most commonly the HR20-70s.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   cwpomeroy

cwpomeroy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hearing the same thing. Wife and I both hear it.

#8 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

I remember hearing something like that years ago. It used to happen whenever a bright white image was on the screen and only on certain programs. Sounded like a buzzing. At that time I was told it was something in the transmitted signal that was over-driving something in the TV causing the buzz. This goes back a lot of years.

#9 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Unfortunately my wife hears the same thing that I do; we're both in our 20s so I really doubt this is a medical issue.

Obviously this is going to be localized to your home or it would be an uproar already on this site.

1. Do you listen through a tv or a stereo?
2. Grounding is in question in either situation.
3. Florescent bulbs near speakers.

#10 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

Other than a few mentions on Twitter, I haven't heard read anything about this...so I'm wondering if it's just me.

Anyway, ever since about mid-August I have heard what sounds like an electronic ringing or buzzing in the background of some channels. The sound is definitely repetitive, meaning that it's the same sound over and over again. I can hear it the loudest during NFL broadcasts on Fox and CBS as well as on other 'live' events (such as the MTV VMAs, the Emmy's).

Can else hear this? I can on two receivers (24-100 and 23-X00) running firmware version 0x4D1. Coincidentally, I didn't notice this ringing UNTIL this upgrade when watching the Steelers-Eagles preseason game on Fox on August 18. Firmware was released the 17th; I forced a new firmware download on both receivers but the sound is still there.

I called DirecTV technical support and they had no idea what I was talking about; they wanted to replace both of my receivers but instead are at least sending a tech out to replace a multiplexer.

Any ideas?

This reminds me of what used to be a problem with over the air analog transmissions of TV signals where, sometimes the tuners would be off just a little bit and the buzzing would come in from the speakers. This would be because the video vestigial sideband would be close to the audio subcarrier, and a slight mis-adjustment of the tuner would cause a pickup the video by the audio tuner and you would hear the audio equivalent of video through the speakers. It would be more noticeable in brighter scenes which would use more voltage than darker scenes. In some areas, it was most annoying, especially for receiving the AM video signals while also not getting interference of the FM audio signal. Tough in rural areas.

In your case, there may be a developing problem with your TV in that possibly the sound circuit shielding is going bad, and is permitting video frequencies to start affecting the audio circuitry or the tuner part of the receiver is beginning to have these issues. Of course, being digital, it could also be something else. But from what you are describing, there is some sort of video interference coming through the sound somehow. You could try moving the receiver to another TV or a friend's TV to see if it follows to that TV as well, which then would point a finger at the receiver that is bad. If your friend's TV sounds clean with no buzzing, then your TV has an issue. Maybe try another input?

These are things I would try first. It may help a service tech on their troubleshooting.

#11 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Hearing the same thing. Wife and I both hear it.

I'm assuming you get DC channels as well? The noise out of Fox5 has just been the worst...it's so hard to describe...and I'm not sure if I can catch it on video but I'd be willing to give it a go. I DVRd this week's Redskins/Rams game just so that the tech could hear it when he shows up on Tuesday.

To everyone suggesting that it's a TV issue, it can't be. The sound is non-existent when the receivers are off (but the TV is on), on receiver start-up, and on different input (PS3). As much as I wished this issue was easily solved through my setup, I highly doubt that it is.

#12 OFFLINE   coit

coit

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

Yes! I thought I was crazy. I've heard it several times during NFL broacasts, and also more distinctly during some tennis broadcasts a couple of months ago.

#13 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

Well, the tech support guy thinks that I'm crazy, too. He said that it can't be a national issue since there is not a ton of people calling up to complain.

If you hear it, I'd suggest at the very least calling them up to register it within their technical issues database. Hell, I sat by waiting for it to go away since mid-August...can't imagine how many other 'crazy' (:)) people are doing the same.

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,943 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

Well, the tech support guy thinks that I'm crazy, too. He said that it can't be a national issue since there is not a ton of people calling up to complain.

If you hear it, I'd suggest at the very least calling them up to register it within their technical issues database. Hell, I sat by waiting for it to go away since mid-August...can't imagine how many other 'crazy' (:)) people are doing the same.

Have you exhausted all external sources of noise? [Shielding, etc.]

What's the input source you can watch and hear on the TV when it's not sourced on the DirecTV receiver?

Tried the box with recording on another TV, another location?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Heard it again last night during the Monday Night Football game; I also now see the other thread about hearing an odd sound on ESPN2 during the CWS.

And to answer the above questions - no, I haven't tried any swapping or rotating. I only have two TVs both hooked up with the same type of HDMI cables on all inputs and I'm apparently not the only one hearing this noise. Interested to see what the tech says today, but I don't have high hopes. I'm assuming that he's going to try to swap my receivers out.

#16 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Back in the old days of tube TVs, you could get symptoms like this when the audio and video signals "crossed" (I'm not a pro, and don't know the right word).

What if you unplug your D* box and try to play a DVD or an OTA channel? Do you still hear it?

#17 OFFLINE   roadhouse500

roadhouse500

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

I am getting the exact same sound mostly on sports broadcasts, but heard it on house the other night on fox.

Called Direct tv and they were no help.

Anyone find a solution to this yet?

Edited by roadhouse500, 05 October 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

Back in the old days of tube TVs, you could get symptoms like this when the audio and video signals "crossed" (I'm not a pro, and don't know the right word).

What if you unplug your D* box and try to play a DVD or an OTA channel? Do you still hear it?

As I commented above....video subcarrier interference with the audio signal.

#19 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:33 AM

I am getting the exact same sound mostly on sports broadcasts, but heard it on house the other night on fox.

Called Direct tv and they were no help.

Anyone find a solution to this yet?

I watched House and it was perfectly clean. This has to be a local equipment issue with a small number of customers. Clearly some kind of audio video crossover issue.

I wonder if this may only be happening on a certain tv make and or model, and that's why the vast majority of people are not hearing it?

#20 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

I actually have thought I heard something akin to a faint cell phone ringing on a few occasions, only perhaps a bit more on the "musical" side than a straight ring. Maybe "chiming" would be a better description.

It is so faint as to almost seem like an illustion, so much so that I have muted the audio on occastion to see if it stops, which it does. Since I tend to watch the same channels most of the time I actually dismissed it as not only channel-specific but possibly a deliberate ambient addition to certain soundtracks since it is so faint. It also seems to be just on the surround channels and not the fronts.

As I think about it now my recolletion is that I seem to notice it on the Discovery networks (e.g. Discovery Channel, TLC, Science Channel, HD-Theater/Velocity) which I watch more than anything else.

Edit to add: I have heard this in both the Family Room and the living room, which have seriously different setups as far as the TV and AVR go. The family room has an HR20-700 and the living room an R22-200.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

spam firewall