Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Annoying background ringing

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   daveistheblur

daveistheblur

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

I actually have thought I heard something akin to a faint cell phone ringing on a few occasions, only perhaps a bit more on the "musical" side than a straight ring. Maybe "chiming" would be a better description.

This is probably the closest you can come to a description, especially the word 'chiming'. And it's definitely the most distinct during live broadcasts.

Side note - the tech came out on Tuesday and agreed that he could hear it as well. He realigned my dish, checked my equipment, and asked me to check to see if I could still hear it. In order to test that out, we turned it to TBS for whatever baseball game was on at the time....still heard it. He turned Dolby Digital off on the receiver and that was no help either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dwr11

dwr11

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

I am hearing the same thing. It is not all of the time but enough to make it a pain. I watch mostly sports and really noticed it last week during the NFL games on Sunday Ticket. I also hear it at times when watching the baseball games on TBS.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

I watched House and it was perfectly clean. This has to be a local equipment issue with a small number of customers. Clearly some kind of audio video crossover issue.

I wonder if this may only be happening on a certain tv make and or model, and that's why the vast majority of people are not hearing it?

Yes, and it might help if those so afflicted would post the time in the recording, channel and time as well as setups so it could be checked by others with similar equipment and the same recording.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

As I commented above....video subcarrier interference with the audio signal.

I'm not an expert (I'm in radio, not TV) but subcarrier interference would be restricted to analog transmission systems, would it not?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#25 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

As I commented above....video subcarrier interference with the audio signal.

Unlikely in my configurations.

In both the family room and the living room I have the video and audio routed separately to the AVR.

In the family room I have a TOSLINK optical cable for the audio routed from the DVR to the optical in on my AVR and have that optical channel "mapped" to the SAT input on the switching. The video is being carried over HDMI to the AVR and my AVR does passive HDMI switching only. It does not actually process the HDMI signal.

The living room is set up in a similar way but uses coax digital audio from the DVR to the AVR which is again mapped to my SAT input and the separate video cable and switching in the AVR is composite, not HDMI. I have an SD set in the living room.

Also, I don't believe digital signals will cause or are susceptible to induced interference.

Edit to add; Also, these configurations have been in place for years in my home. This chiming/ringing is something I have only noticed in the last couple of weeks.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#26 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:59 AM

If you hit record when you hear this noise, does the noise play back as part of the recording?

#27 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

If you watch a "ringing" show OTA, do you hear it there too?

#28 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

I heard this at a friend of mine's house. I can tell you exactly what it is.

It's ABC and FOX over compressing their signals. What you are hearing are compression artifacts caused by bad data compression. Compression artifacts in compressed audio can show up as a kind of metallic ringing or warbling noise. It is far more noticable in a sound like an audience applauding than it would be on something like a music track or speech.

The solution is for D* to contact ABC and Fox and tell them to compress their data correctly. :)

Edited by TDK1044, 07 October 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

I heard this at a friend of mine's house. I can tell you exactly what it is.

It's ABC and FOX over compressing their signals. What you are hearing are compression artifacts caused by bad data compression. Compression artifacts in compressed audio can show up as a kind of metallic ringing or warbling noise. It is far more noticable in a sound like an audience applauding than it would be on something like a music track or speech.

The solution is for D* to contact ABC and Fox and tell them to compress their data correctly. :)

It's not just ABC and FOX since I rarely watch either. As I said, I have noticed it primarily on Discovery Networks channels.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#30 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

ABC and Fox are the only two channels I listened to, but as all of the channels transmitting are owned by six large companies, it wouldn't surprise me if over compression is common practice.

#31 OFFLINE   ddebrunner

ddebrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Was there any solution to this. We just started hearing this on both our tvs, currently watching local channel 54 in SF bay area.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Was there any solution to this. We just started hearing this on both our tvs, currently watching local channel 54 in SF bay area.

I've not read anything more on this for some time. Since I believe you're in the near East Bay, is OTA a possibility for you? (That could confirm/eliminate the compression artifacts notions.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,392 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

This is really interesting, I remember hearing this a few years ago on cable TV. I thought I was going nuts, because no one else seemed to know what I was talking about. Sort of like how my parents thought I was nuts that I could 'hear' the TV if it was left tuned to the video input screen with the VCR off (black screen) Turned out I was hearing the ~15 khz flyback transformer in the old CRT TVs. Makes sense they couldn't hear it, since people lose high frequency hearing as they age.

I don't remember how long it lasted, but at some point it just went away. I think I might have heard it on Directv during football games at some point also, but I'm not sure. I haven't heard it anywhere for a while now. I guess only a small subset of people are sensitive to it, so it took a while for the problem to be identified.

The compression artifacts explanation make perfect sense, because now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it went away around the time my cable company dropped about 50 analog channels (down to a couple dozen now) and expanded their HD. They probably were overcompressing everything before that to fit in the available bandwidth.

Glad to know that it was something real and it wasn't a warning sign that I should be scanned for a brain tumor :)

#34 OFFLINE   ddebrunner

ddebrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

I've not read anything more on this for some time. Since I believe you're in the near East Bay, is OTA a possibility for you? (That could confirm/eliminate the compression artifacts notions.)

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not set up for OTA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...