Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How can I convince DISH to let me install an additional 722?

swm

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

I will be adding an additional 722 to my account. This will be the third unit. I already spoke with two supervisors and 3 reps. They all told me that I cannot do a self installation of an additional unit. Self installations can only be done when replacing a unit verses adding a new unit. They want to charge me $95 or $15 if I do the protection plan. It is amazing that it requires a rocket scientist to come to my house to plug in an HDMI cable, a coax and a power cable. I have been with DISH for 12 years and pay $237/per month and I guess they do not trust me to do an install with their equipment. Some how the masters degree that I completed last year in computer science does not grant me the necessary technical skills to plug in 3 cables and verify that the unit works. This is going in a room that already had a receiver a couple of years ago. I have already plugged in one of the spare 722's to verify that the RG6 cable works. Is this just DISH policy or do I need to try to get my PHD since apparently the DISH technicians have a speshul degree in plugging in cables.

Edited by kcolg30, 03 October 2011 - 04:07 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:14 AM

I've seen this same kind of thing on other threads - Dish requiring a tech visit when one isn't necessary. I can't help it but wonder if it isn't in the vendor/dealer contracts to ensure they get as much business as possible.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Buy one from Sadoun or on eBay.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

It's not a question of your competence. It's a question of Dish has a policy to not allow self-installs for new equipment as a liability/CYA issue. If the tech screws up, it's covered under warranty. If you screw up, it's $$$ out of your pocket to fix it.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#5 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

I've seen this same kind of thing on other threads - Dish requiring a tech visit when one isn't necessary. I can't help it but wonder if it isn't in the vendor/dealer contracts to ensure they get as much business as possible.

It isn't.

#6 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

It's not a question of your competence. It's a question of Dish has a policy to not allow self-installs for new equipment as a liability/CYA issue. If the tech screws up, it's covered under warranty. If you screw up, it's $$$ out of your pocket to fix it.

What sort of liability? If I pay for my own mistakes, how is that harming dish?

Its strange, when I first became a dish customer, they were quite receptive to self installs and purchased equipment. A dozen years later, and now everyone is an idiot.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

A dozen years later, and now everyone is an idiot.

You are correct....:lol:

What was happening is people were doing really shoddy self-installs, and expecting someone to come out and fix it for free because they actually were incompetent to do their own installs...

#8 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

You are correct....:lol:

What was happening is people were doing really shoddy self-installs, and expecting someone to come out and fix it for free because they actually were incompetent to do their own installs...

I use to work for E* and now work for D* and it boils down to 1 thing for both companies. The ordering system recognizes that you don't have enough cables ran for 3 dual tuners so the SYSTEM automatically wants to send a tech. A cool work around is to activate a dead unit that use to be on the account (if one exists and is owned), process the order as an ungrade / replacement rather than an additional receiver and then right afterward deactivate the dead unit again. It has absolutely nothing to do with process, it has to do with the fact that the CSR and Sup can't overide the work order calendar from popping up. Alot of the time things that are pushed off as "process or policy" are simply workers that don't have work arounds for system / software limitations. 2 other possible options would be to possibly order thru the E* website since it may offer a shipping option or buy from a retailer. Hope this helps.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#9 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

How long have you been a customer? If it's been 10 years or more, ask for a waiver of the install fee. If less, ask for a supervisor and see if they will let you install and accept the risks your self.

Keep in mind, you may be missing some needed switch though. Dish has so many incomparable things compared to 1995 that it never fails that I need parts when I upgrade.

Also, they may be wanting to move you to another set of satellites. My last install was for that purpose. When they waived the fee, I agreed as long as I could watch him every step of the way. I got lucky. He actually knew what he was doing. Unlike the two yahoo's before him that I had to repoint the dish for after they left.

Call, don't use chat. Chat never works for me. I don't think it's really a human. Just canned responses. :-p
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

What sort of liability? If I pay for my own mistakes, how is that harming dish?

Its strange, when I first became a dish customer, they were quite receptive to self installs and purchased equipment. A dozen years later, and now everyone is an idiot.

The problem in some cases, though, is that there are lots of people who will do a self-install and then complain if something goes wrong... and they will try and demand a free service call out of it.

IF people would assume all the responsibility on a self-install, then I would agree with you... but unfortunately, people have proven they will scream at Dish when something they (the customer) did wrong causes a problem.

That said... what others have said is true too... you might need something else in your equipment OR the Dish computers might have a wrong indication of your actual setup. Maybe they don't think you have a connection for that 3rd receiver OR maybe they think you need something... or maybe you actually do need something.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Going from Two Receivers with Dual Inputs, to a Three Receivers with Dual inputs will require additional equipment and re-wiring of the original receivers. It might be cheaper to just pay the $95 or the $15 w/service commitment.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,565 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Going from Two Receivers with Dual Inputs, to a Three Receivers with Dual inputs will require additional equipment and re-wiring of the original receivers.

With a modern dish it most certainly does not involve messing with the existing setup. You simply run a new cable from the LNB assembly though a ground block to a diplexer and use two short cables to connect to the tuners. If you're lucky, all you need is the cable (and ends) a diplexer and the shorties.

If you have an older ODU, you would need to add an appropriate switch at which point the cost starts looking prohibitive.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,565 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Is this just DISH policy or do I need to try to get my PHD since apparently the DISH technicians have a speshul degree in plugging in cables.

Take a quick look at the "shame thread" where people have posted pictures of groteque installations (both DIY and "professional"). After looking at what some self-righteous slob thinks is "just as good as a perfeshinul", you may have a different idea of the importance of getting started right.

With the advent of powered switchgear and LNB assemblies, there's more DC power on the line than their used to be and that short chunk of RG59 or the flat cable can lead to some melty stuff.

DISH Network (and DIRECTV) has to assume the lowest common denominator and it is truly amazing how deep they have to dig. You don't really think a run-of-the-mill sales representative is going to be able to assess whether you know what you're doing from your personal assurance, do you?

Cue the Jeff Spicoli explanation of how he's going to fix Jefferson's wrecked Camaro in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   MikeJH@DISH Network

MikeJH@DISH Network

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

kcolg30, As everyone has said in this thread there is a liability issue with self installation that would cost you and DISH money to correct the installation that was not done correctly. The computer system may not know what your installation is able to support when you are going from a 2 DUO receiver installation to a 3 DUO setup even if you are able to support it. If you are looking to get another 722 I would be happy to assist you with getting this upgrade done. Please PM your account information.

#15 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Take a quick look at the "shame thread" where people have posted pictures of groteque installations (both DIY and "professional"). After looking at what some self-righteous slob thinks is "just as good as a perfeshinul", you may have a different idea of the importance of getting started right.

With the advent of powered switchgear and LNB assemblies, there's more DC power on the line than their used to be and that short chunk of RG59 or the flat cable can lead to some melty stuff.

DISH Network (and DIRECTV) has to assume the lowest common denominator and it is truly amazing how deep they have to dig. You don't really think a run-of-the-mill sales representative is going to be able to assess whether you know what you're doing from your personal assurance, do you?

Cue the Jeff Spicoli explanation of how he's going to fix Jefferson's wrecked Camaro in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

I have seen the Shame thread..... Just WOW!

Some of the stuff there truly belongs on There I fixed it... http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swm

spam firewall