Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 HDCP enforcement on HBO & Cinemax & possible solution

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

I forget... are you connecting the 922 directly to your HDTV or going through an A/V receiver?

I ask... because, I have a 922 of course... and I have a Samsung HDTV as well... older than yours though... and I connect through my Sony A/V receiver.

Every once in a while when I go to turn on my 922, I find it stuck on the screen saver but I will have audio. I used to think it was my 922 and reported it several times actually because a reset would fix it.

However... what I have since learned is that... it appears to be my a/v receiver... because I don't have the problem directly connected to the HDTV... and when I do have the problem, IF I choose another A/V input and then switch back to the 922 input... it works.

I haven't had any HDCP errors though... but this one glitch exposed my A/V receiver as sometimes interfering with the HDMI handshake.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   umbertob

umbertob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

- only model 922 behave like that

There's a similar thread going on the 622/722/722k forum, so apparently we are not the only lucky ones. :rolleyes:

#23 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

I forget... are you connecting the 922 directly to your HDTV or going through an A/V receiver?

My TV is directly connected via a short (3 foot) HDMI cable.

This morning, first thing, I checked and HDMI status had gone back to "AUTH PENDING". I neglected to capture the attempts/successes field, but I assume it must have been 9/1 or 10/1.

Here is the data AFTER an unplug/replug of the cable:

After nightly restart and unplug/replug cable :

HDCP APP STATE
hdcp_state : ENCRYPTED
hdcp_enforce : 0
hdcp_enable : 1
hdmi_connected : 1
attempts/successes : 11/2
surprise successes : 1

#24 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

I am going to be wearing out the HDMI connector if I have to implement a daily reconnect cycle.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

How long is the cable ? Is it good one ?

#26 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

How long is the cable ? Is it good one ?

As stated in the previous post, it is 3 ft long. As stated several posts ago, this is not the original cable used for this interconnection. The first was a DVI-HDMI cable with an HDMI adapter on the DVI end (making it HDMI-HDMI). The current cable is HDMI-HDMI with no adapters. The 922 behavior is identical with both cables.

Define "good".

#27 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

The issue is not triggered (only) by the nightly reboot, because I just had to recycle the connection again. That's twice in the same day.

This is incredibly annoying.

#28 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Last night I left the receiver tuned to HBO, but still turned it off via the remote as usual. This morning, the status was:

HDCP APP STATE
hdcp_state : ENCRYPTED
hdcp_enforce : 1
hdcp_enable : 1
hdmi_connected : 1
attempts/successes : 7/1
surprise successes : 1

#29 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

For what it may be worth I am not having any problems. 922 via high speed HDMI to Onkyo TX-NR609 to Mitsubishi WD-82737 via high speed HDMI. It'll probably have a problem the next time :lol:
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#30 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Tonight when the problem appeared again I tried a different remedy. This time I power cycled the 922. I turned it off via the remote and then unplugged it's power cord. When I plugged it in, it went through several iterations of the "Starting up..." page in two different resolutions (720x480 and 1920x1080). I thought it would never come up.

When it finally did, the problem was gone. So now I know of 2 ways to correct the problem when it occurs:

1) unplug either end of the HDMI cable and plug it back in
2) remove power from the 922 and restore it.

Next time I will try power cycling the TV. I already know that "turning off" the 922, the TV or both (via the remote) and turning back on again does not fix the problem. Probably an actual power cycle (via the power cord) at the TV will also eliminate the problem, but we'll see.

I wish there was a "reset HDMI" diagnostic in the 922.

#31 OFFLINE   umbertob

umbertob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, makes sense. I tried looking for such a 1-input to 2+ outputs HDMI splitter before, couldn't find one. Any links?

PS: Never mind. I'll give this one a shot and see: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B0015YRMXI

Quick update: The cheapo splitter above didn't work. Once I split the HDMI signal from the 922, I get no video (or sound) to my AVR from either HDMI outputs. Returning it. Undeterred :lol:, I am moving upmarket a bit and ordering this one from MonoPrice: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2 - will let you know how it goes...

PS: HDMI sucks.

#32 OFFLINE   umbertob

umbertob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Well, MonoPrice delivered the splitter in record time (ordered it online Saturday night and delivered today at my house, a Monday... How's that even possible?!?), and I am happy to report that their splitter works like a charm to split the HDMI signal from the 922 into two separate HDMI outputs. No dropouts, no handshaking issues, no audio issues or stuttering, no HDCP messages on HBO (not yet, anyway), no video quality degradation. Let's hope it lasts. HDMI still sucks, though.

#33 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

Well, MonoPrice delivered the splitter in record time (ordered it online Saturday night and delivered today at my house, a Monday... How's that even possible?!?)

Maybe because Monoprice is in Rancho Cucamonga, CA which is only about 40 miles east of Pasadena, CA.

BTW congrats on the HDMI splitter hope it continues to work great for you!

#34 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

After tonight's events, the following are the parameters of this issue as I understand them:

Once "the problem" is manifest, it is thereafter impossible to watch HBO or Cinemax programming unless you record it first and watch the recording later. If you attempt to tune to one of these HBO or Cinemax channels while "the problem" is manifest, you will see a pop-up alert that says the receiver has detected that the TV does not conform to HDCP, and that this channel's programming requires HDCP, so viewing it has been disallowed.

"The problem" occurs at random, can occur multiple times each day if you clear it.

Once it happens, the "hdcp_state" (in menu/settings/diagnostics/HDMI/HDCP) changes from "ENCRYPTED" to "AUTH PENDING".

Things I have tried which WILL clear "the problem":

1) while THE 922 and TV are running, unplug either end of the HDMI cable and plug it back in.
2) disconnect AC power from 922 and re-apply it.

The trouble with #1 (aside from annoyance) is that it will eventually wear out the HDMI connector contacts.
The trouble with #2 (aside from annoyance and potential damage to 922 disk structure) is that the 922 takes FOREVER to wake up.

Things I have tried which WILL NOT clear the problem:

A) power off/on (via remote) the 922.
B) power off/on(via remote) the TV.
C) disconnect AC power from TV and re-apply it.

I do not know anything about HDMI protocol, but I would think that "C" above should look the same to the 922 as #1 above. How does the 922 detect TV power cycling and HDMI cable unplug/replug differently? Does anyone know?

To DISH - if you can't be certain you've fixed this issue, please add a "retry" selection to the pop-up about the TV not conforming to HDCP, that when selected causes the 922 to reinitialize HDMI just as though the cable has been unplugged/replugged. This way your user (me) will not be cursing your name each time he has to get up, move the speaker, get behind the entertainment center and cycle the $&?!'k HDMI cable!!!!!!

#35 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Here is an update on this issue:

First, some further environmental detail. I have 3 devices feeding HDMI signals to different ports of my Samsung HLT6189S. Two of them (the 922 and my Home Theater PC) both provide signal at all times - they never get powered off. The 922 provides 1080i formatted video, and the PC provides 1080p. Both are HDCP compliant and establish encrypted links. The third is a game box that is powered off virtually all the time.

Only the 922 frequently "loses" the HDCP encryption lock to the TV. I have shuffled ports on the TV and this makes no difference.

I decided to try some OTHER HDCP device rather than my Samsung TV on the output of the 922. I bought a Monoprice HDX-401TA HDMI switch. My intention was to simplify things such that only 1 port of the TV was used by all devices. This worked beautifully at first. The first morning after adding this device to the mix, the 922 port stopped working. When selected, I get sound but no picture. The screen is either all snow or totally black. Interestingly enough - and just like with the TV - the PC input port never fails. It is always rock solid. Power cycling the switch restores the picture from the 922 input port.

So now I have 2 devices that cannot maintain HDMI connectivity with my 922. One only loses the HDCP encryption, the other seems to lose HDMI integrity altogether.

I think I am going to try 720p for a while and see if this rez behaves any differently with the switch.

#36 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Well that experiment didn't last long. I switched to port 3 (PC) for an hour, then switched back to port 2 (the 922 at 720p) and the screen is black.

So the 922 doesn't get along with my TV or the switch. The PC on the other hand works fine with both.

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

Time to change the TV :).

#38 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

Time to change the TV :).

If you're not under contract, it's cheaper to switch to another service. :rolleyes:

#39 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

UPDATE -

For the last week or so, we have been powering off the HDMI switch (via its remote) when we "turn off" the TV, Amp and 922. Since beginning this practice we have not encountered a situation where the screen goes black. We have also never encountered the situation where the HDCP has lost encryption lock and become "AUTH_PENDING".

Lest anyone jump to the conclusion that this proves the TV to be at fault, I hasten to add that if we could REALLY "turn off" the TV via the remote we might not see the issue there either. "Turning off" the TV leaves the HDMI port alive and communicating with the "powered off" 922. Turning off the switch does not.

The fact that the switch HDMI ports go inactive when "turned off" via its remote is evidenced by the TV being unable to identify the timing signal anymore when this is done.

So in other words, the use of a remotely power-controlled HDMI switch seems like it may be a viable workaround until Dish fixes their HDCP problem.

#40 OFFLINE   ruzicka

ruzicka

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

I have the same problem with my ViP 722. According to a tech support person I spoke with at Dish, this is NOT a DVR or TV problem. It is a HBO/Cinemax problem, or rather, something that HBO and Cinemax are doing at their end, randomly and arbitrarily screwing things up with every distributor of their content. Dish is supposedly in "negotiations" with HBO/Cinemax to stop this. However, until such time as things are changed on the HBO/Cinemax side, the ONLY thing you can supposedly do to "fix" the problem and allow you to watch one of these HDCP-blocked movies/shows, is to switch to a component video cable. This is total crap to me. Dish says that they have no intention of reimbursing anyone for lost viewing time, as it is not their fault.

spam firewall