Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watch ESPN iOS App

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

I've loved the recent TVEverywhere additions. I'm just wonder when DIRECTV is going to be added to the provider list on the "watch ESPN" app. It would sure be handy during college football season.
I WANT MY PAC-12 Network & PAC-12 Mountain Network!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

I've loved the recent TVEverywhere additions. I'm just wonder when DIRECTV is going to be added to the provider list on the "watch ESPN" app. It would sure be handy during college football season.

maybe when the add long horn network or what even other BS that ESPN wants Directv to add.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

The current deal with ESPN expires at the end of the year, I would love to have WatchESPN and I suspect D* will gun for that as recent trends have shown with their latest deals.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#4 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

The current deal with ESPN expires at the end of the year, I would love to have WatchESPN and I suspect D* will gun for that as recent trends have shown with their latest deals.

DTV has asked for it on numerous occasions and ESPN has said no, not unless DTV takes Longhorn and other nonsense at a cost of several billion dollars over the course of the contract.

Simply put, it's not happening any time soon.

#5 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

DTV has asked for it on numerous occasions and ESPN has said no, not unless DTV takes Longhorn and other nonsense at a cost of several billion dollars over the course of the contract.

I didn't realize D* already asked for it.

I thought carrying the online counterpart would be built into the carriage agreements, I'm not in the business thus I won't know for certain.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#6 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

So ESPN are holding DirecTV hostage?

Not good news folks. Don't expect this app for DirecTV users any time soon.

#7 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

So ESPN are holding DirecTV hostage?

Not good news folks. Don't expect this app for DirecTV users any time soon.

ESPN holds all providers hostage when it offers a new channel/product. ESPN forced Time Warner Cable to take ESPN3, as it did with many other cable companies whose contracts were up for renewal. Expect DirecTV to get the Longhorn Network and WatchESPN when a new deal is signed.

#8 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Simply put, it's not happening any time soon.

I honestly can not wrap my head around ESPN forcing people to take such a garbage channel or else with WatchESPN

WOW

Do they understand how little to no interest that LHN carries nationally? Most Texas grads I know have little to no interest in it outside 1-2 games it may carry...oh, garbage games at that

Not one person here wants WatchESPN more than me but I honestly hope DirecTV does not let in. Ridiculous

#9 OFFLINE   OutGolfn

OutGolfn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Looks like comcast viewers got WatchESPN today. Timewarner of course has had it a while now. I sure hope Directv and ESPN come to an agreement soon for us dtv guys!

#10 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Make friends with a Time Warner or Comcast or Verizon subscriber. I am sure glad that I did :)
DirecTV customer since 1995

#11 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I honestly can not wrap my head around ESPN forcing people to take such a garbage channel or else with WatchESPN

WOW

Do they understand how little to no interest that LHN carries nationally? Most Texas grads I know have little to no interest in it outside 1-2 games it may carry...oh, garbage games at that

Not one person here wants WatchESPN more than me but I honestly hope DirecTV does not let in. Ridiculous

They do it because they are ESPN, no one will challenge them for fear of losing subs which may or may not happen en masse, and it all goes on behind the scenes. It's possible if this type of thing played out publicly and explicitly, people would tell ESPN to shove it.

#12 ONLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'd love to have watch ESPN, but having the LHN forced on me makes it a price I'm not willing to pay.

If ESPN had to do ala carte, this wouldn't be an issue at all. They are the best in the business at exploiting the system.

#13 OFFLINE   cptaylor

cptaylor

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I'd like to have this app as well but it's not that big of a deal since I have a slingbox. But I don't want D to cave and charge me for the crappy LHN.

#14 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'd like to have this app as well but it's not that big of a deal since I have a slingbox. But I don't want D to cave and charge me for the crappy LHN.

So, did Comcrap sign a new carriage agreement and agree to broadcast the Longhorn Network in order to carry the WatchESPN App?

I guess that's the big question that goes through my head and would tell a lot about whether or not D* would have to make that same concession to get access to the app.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

So, did Comcrap sign a new carriage agreement and agree to broadcast the Longhorn Network in order to carry the WatchESPN App?

I guess that's the big question that goes through my head and would tell a lot about whether or not D* would have to make that same concession to get access to the app.

Not that I heard, but the last agreement Comcast and ESPN had involved putting EPSN3 games on linear channels on Comcast systems, so it may have come from that.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

hmm...WatchESPN?? Why you need it?? Theres a constant spin when you watch the crappy programs they provide outside of live events and 30/30, jailbreak your iOS, install XBMC, watch ESPN3 from there...

#17 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Comcast is not carrying The Longhorn Network.

#18 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,168 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Comcast is not carrying The Longhorn Network.

neither is brighthouse and they have had watch espn since signing a new contract with the mother ship over a year ago!

#19 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

ESPN once again confirmed earlier this week that it isn't looking to sell this as an add-on to an existing carriage agreement, instead we have to wait until the current deal is over/renewed.

"Asked if ESPN, which has been including the service as a key facet of comprehensive distribution deals it has consummated over the past two years, was now pitching Watch ESPN separately, Bratches said no."

"In an interview after the presentation, Bratches said ESPN's goal is to "double the distribution of our affiliate base that has Watch ESPN in the next year.""

http://www.multichan...r_Next_Year.php

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

hmm...WatchESPN?? Why you need it?? Theres a constant spin when you watch the crappy programs they provide outside of live events and 30/30, jailbreak your iOS, install XBMC, watch ESPN3 from there...

Not everyone wants to break their support contract with Apple.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...