Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR34-700 Home Media Center HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
710 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Is the UI similar to the HR2x models in looks and navigation, besides the Yellow button being used for PIP? Does anybody have a guess on whether or not the HR34 shares a lot of code with the HR2x models?

The more they have in common, the better the "experience" will be, I think.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

At this point, the HR34 is in very limited release. Only a few markets across the nation have them, and supplies are limited in those location. This is an exclusive first look! Please do not call DIRECTV to order, they are not available!

How does one go about getting one of these limited receiivers. Since I am in Phoenix, is there a way to make this happen?

#203 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Is the UI similar to the HR2x models in looks and navigation, besides the Yellow button being used for PIP? Does anybody have a guess on whether or not the HR34 shares a lot of code with the HR2x models?

It's just like using an HR24 when it comes to the UI.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#204 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

How does one go about getting one of these limited receiivers. Since I am in Phoenix, is there a way to make this happen?

I saw somewhere on here they are available by phone. I think the instructions not to call in is for people outside the limited markets.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#205 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

It pretty much mirrors the current NR UI, except ACTIVE has been added to the main menu choices on-screen.
/steve

#206 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

With the new fall season on the networks the most I have had recording at one time is three shows and that happened three times for three shows total this week. The third show was recorded on my DVD Recorder to its hard drive from HD Clear QAM basic cable. Press one button on my HDTV remote and they fille the screen in the proper AR. And they look Decent and easily watchable most likely due to the HD source giving a decent 720 by 480 resolution. I have the DVD recorder set to 30 second fwd skip and 10 second reverse skip to skip commercials easy. It took me 3 or 4 minutes last night to name the three recordings.

At the same time I could see some needing 5 tuners per TV set for sports. For me with Two hours max to watch TV per evening after family time things are getting ahead of me even with a 1 hour show taking 45 minutes to watch.

Back when I had the CW in HD, it was quite common for me to be recording on 5 tuners... over 5 tuners on some days when cable network programming I watch is on at the same time.

~Alan

#207 OFFLINE   norbl

norbl

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

So if a new customer was able to buy this, what would you have to get in order to watch a recorded program in another room and what would you have to get to be able set up recordings from another room? Since the c30 is not available and there are no RVU TVs yet, if you were to buy this now, they probably will charge you an arm and a leg when the c30 does become available since you would no longer be a new customer.

Or am I just misunderstanding this whole thing?

#208 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Here's a bit of a novelty picture - 5 simultaneous record icons on a single receiver. :)

Thanks for the video and pictures. But I still say that's too many button pushes to turn it on. Hopefully the yellow button (as reported here) will soon be an instant on/off function.

#209 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,099 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

You know, Canis' picture is nice, but I currently have 16 tuners on one SWiM16 and have had as many as 15 of them recording at once. :P (The kids like their TV too :grin: )

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#210 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

The device formerly known as the HMC30 prototype device was rebranded into the current HR34 name. That change actually took place early this year, and was referenced from the onsite reports from the Consumer Electronics Show back at that time.

C30 is RVU cliend box.

You shouldn't point to HMC30.

#211 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

sans: http://www.merriam-w...dictionary/sans

I would not be surprised if this is the first receiver where a purchase option is not an option at all. I can't see them not wanting to get every one of these back.

Even if there is not a purchase there will be owned units out there meaning we should be able to own them at some point. This one may be worth leasing. For me it will really depend on if they want to jack up the monthly fee or not. I want it for one TV and one TV only. I dont use MRV so if its close to the same as the others on monthly fees then fine if not then I wont waste my time.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#212 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

You know, Canis' picture is nice, but I currently have 16 tuners on one SWiM16 and have had as many as 15 of them recording at once. :P (The kids like their TV too :grin: )

Yah yah yah.... I know yours is Bigger than mine.... :P
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#213 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the video and pictures. But I still say that's too many button pushes to turn it on. Hopefully the yellow button (as reported here) will soon be an instant on/off function.

Yes hopefully this will be the case. It's not unlike some other UI changes we've seen that we may like changed (or changed back) :)
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#214 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

Even if there is not a purchase there will be owned units out there meaning we should be able to own them at some point. This one may be worth leasing. For me it will really depend on if they want to jack up the monthly fee or not. I want it for one TV and one TV only. I dont use MRV so if its close to the same as the others on monthly fees then fine if not then I wont waste my time.

Right now, I have 6 HD-DVRs. I intend on getting rid of two of them... leaving me with four.

Depending on the monthly fee associated with the HR34-700 (much as I'd hate to start a new commitment), I'll get one of them and (most likely) deactivate one of my other HD-DVRs leaving me with an HR34, and three HR24-100s.

That will be the perfect setup for me... unless DirecTV EVER moves to a per DVR fee (ala Dish Network and cable), in which case, I'll find a way to get two HR34s, and 3 C30s.

~Alan

#215 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

C30 is RVU cliend box.

You shouldn't point to HMC30.

Correct, I was talking about the C30 thin client. Pace put out a press release saying it was the first certified RVU client back in late August, but yet we are hearing in this thread that it isn't getting released along with the HR34. This makes me wonder if the current HR34 is not certified and can't work as a true RVU server at this time (only works as a Whole Home DVR server currently).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#216 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Correct, I was talking about the C30 thin client. Pace put out a press release saying it was the first certified RVU client back in late August, but yet we are hearing in this thread that it isn't getting released along with the HR34. This makes me wonder if the current HR34 is not certified and can't work as a true RVU server at this time (only works as a Whole Home DVR server currently).

If we could have access to RVU certification DB as for FCC and UL ...

#217 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,681 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

Great job with the First Look!

Want one! Want one! Want one! Want one! Want one!

... maybe two ...

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#218 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

I saw somewhere on here they are available by phone. I think the instructions not to call in is for people outside the limited markets.

Tried that. They said they are unable to process an order at this time.

Bob

#219 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Great first look but this is all a big tease :) Now I have to pretend it does not really exist until 2012 :(
DirecTV customer since 1995

#220 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Can the HR34 output different channels to 2 separate tv's, or is it just PiP on one tv?

:)

No
Yes

Protected By... spam firewall...And...