Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR34-700 Home Media Center HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
710 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

PIP is really only useful in larger screen HDTVs anyway...and even then...not everyone wants/needs it.

Still, some do want it of course, and it comes down to personal preference.

Though I disagree with the larger screen statement, I'm a living example of "everyone."

If all the HR34 brought to the table was PiP, I wouldn't care a thing about it. The HR24-100 has been very, very good to me.

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~~~~Who is once again back to wanting to throw his HR23-700 though...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, that was a roaring success. :nono2:

Did you own one? (or two or three?) I'd love to hear your first hand opinion on the functionality. Either way, this thread is not about that and the HR 34wins hands down. I still think the HR 2X should be able to handle PIP.

+1

PIP is really only useful in larger screen HDTVs anyway...and even then...not everyone wants/needs it.

Still, some do want it of course, and it comes down to personal preference.

Agreed. DTV receivers have not output PIP in a decade. If you want it today you need multiple receivers (Even though your current receiver probably has two tuners). If you are not happy with what the HR34 offers for PIP, be prepared to pay 2-5K at the entry level for a scaler. I would think most will settle for what the HR34 offers instead of scaling from two independent sources. I know that is the way I'm leaning.

I don't have to "convince" you of anything. The HR2x boxes have been out since 2006 and people have been clamoring for PIP ever since they knew they would contain dual tuners. The chipset just doesn't support it. If it did, Directv would have enabled and supported it - it would have been a TREMENDOUS selling point, especially given Directv's long-standing commitment to be seen as a sports programming leader.

The chipset in the HR34 DOES support it. And it's great. :)

The HR34 sounds great like you exclaim. I love it and want one. The fact that DirectTv offered PIP in 2000 and it went away until now because "hardware can't handle it" is absolute BS in my opinion. If they wanted to include it, they could have.

Despite this lack of (previous) functionality that a few choose to beat me up about, I have stayed a loyal subscriber since 2001. There are many positives from DTV that long outweigh the negatives IMO.

#263 OFFLINE   richardeholder

richardeholder

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

Any information on power consumption and heat output as compared to existing HDVR models?

#264 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

Now that I think about it, with the new GUI, it will be total BS if they don't offer PIP for the current HR2X's. They have 2 tuners. Use them. The ULTIMATE TV FROM MICROSOFT IN 2001 had this as a feature.

They can't offer PIP on the HR2X's, the chip will not support it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#265 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

So you are trying to convince me that the current HR2X line does not have a more advanced chipset than the UltimateTV receivers offered by DTV manufactured by Microsoft and Sony back in 2001? (It was actually Oct 2000. I looked it up.)

UltimateTV was SD. This is HD. Different animal.

#266 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

Waiting for that to be brought up. ;) I'm glad the HR34 supports this function a decade later. I still attest that my (many) receivers between then and now should all have had this functionality. My best football watching days were my two UTVs hooked up to a Mitz 55" rear projection with split screen PIP. Two games split screen and two more games in PIP windows. 4 games at the same time. It would take a whole lot more to do that today.

My intention is not to argue. (Certainly not about the past) The main objective is to get the best viewing experience in my almost completed home theater, bar, sitting area, and gym (in my basement).

Edited by TheJackal, 08 October 2011 - 06:43 AM.

#267 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

So has anyone tried a 3TB eSATA drive on this puppy yet?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#268 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Any information on power consumption and heat output as compared to existing HDVR models?

Someone mentioned replacing two their HR24s with this to save power so I went and looked at them both. I don't have one of those fancy kill-a-watt meters but the HR24 is rated at 50 watts max and the HR34 55 watts max so I wouldn't think it's uses that much more.

So has anyone tried a 3TB eSATA drive on this puppy yet?

No, PM me for my address where you can send one and I'll try it and let you know.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#269 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

Now that I think about it, with the new GUI, it will be total BS if they don't offer PIP for the current HR2X's. They have 2 tuners. Use them.

From whats been said before on this topic, yes the HR2x have two tuners, but the chip set doesn't have two video processors, so it can't handle outputting two video streams at the same time.

The ULTIMATE TV FROM MICROSOFT IN 2001 had this as a feature

UTV was designed and made my Microsoft and sold through D*, this is why they had PIP, different manufacturer.

I agree with you though, PIP should have been on the HR2x when they came out. PIP has been available through E* and c* for a few years now, D* is finally catching up. It'll be good for sports, I plan on using it.

#270 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

You will be wanting to replace your 12 2T HR20-700s with 12 2TB HR34-700s before too long...

I doubt it, but you might be right. I'm gonna wait until I fully understand the 34 and see how it performs for others.

Rich

#271 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

Why would it be lease only? Someone posted earlier that they would surely want them all back so they would be leased. What do you think we are doing with owned ones??? They stay in the system, or "they get them back", just on a different account. They are useless for anything else other than a D* system so they aren't going anywhere. Nobody is going to pay the cost to own one just so they can take the drive out of it and use it in their computer.

My thoughts exactly.

Rich

#272 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

I still think the HR 2X should be able to handle PIP.

PIP is not a software feature, it's a feature of the system video processor and compositing architecture. Way back in the day, someone dug up the spec sheet on the Broadcom chips used in the HR20 and discovered that PIP was part of the design, but only for one HD and one SD stream or two SD streams. With that limitation, given the fact Directv was still in the beginning stages of their HD rollout and customers would be horribly confused about why PIP worked on some channels but not others, they obviously chose not to bother with it. There are threads from years past discussing it if you want to go do a search.

Now, five years later and literally tens of millions of boxes later, chip specs have advanced, system costs have decreased, and the chipset used in the HR34 can support PIP with two HD streams.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#273 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

PIP

I've had so many TVs with PIP and I never used it. Could never see a use for it. Seems like a step backward. For those who never had it, I can understand their interest in it. I even had TVs that would do side by side split screen PIP and never used the feature. I also had gizmos that would put a PIP on the screen and gave them away years ago. Not gonna be a selling point for me. (Of course, my opinions change rather quickly, I saw no reason for MRV and I was wrong about that...:lol:)

Rich

#274 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, that was a roaring success. :nono2:

I had the UTV DVRs and never used the PIP feature. By that time I had it on several TVs and never used it. I do like the PIG, but that's a different thing. PIP is a 20th Century innovation that never really caught on.

For a while, back then, every hi-end TV had PIP. You don't see many, if any, today.

Rich

#275 OFFLINE   sunking

sunking

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

Will there be a fee per RVU? I can't believe Directv is going to give up the cash cow that is lease/mirroring fees. Does anyone have an idea yet of cost differences between currently have say 1dvr +2 hd receivers versus an hr34 + 2 rvus (directv or other manufacturer)?

I'm suspecting quite a billing and cost structure change in the future with this unit.

#276 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

I could put it on my Sony HD set using two HRs in HD and I never used it. Shouldn't say "never", I did try it and saw no real use for it. It's actually kinda distracting. But my opinions aren't written in stone.

Rich

#277 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

Someone mentioned replacing two their HR24s with this to save power so I went and looked at them both. I don't have one of those fancy kill-a-watt meters but the HR24 is rated at 50 watts max and the HR34 55 watts max so I wouldn't think it's uses that much more.

Matt, they only cost a little over $10...:lol:

Rich

#278 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

I've had so many TVs with PIP and I never used it. Could never see a use for it. Seems like a step backward. For those who never had it, I can understand their interest in it. I even had TVs that would do side by side split screen PIP and never used the feature. I also had gizmos that would put a PIP on the screen and gave them away years ago. Not gonna be a selling point for me. (Of course, my opinions change rather quickly, I saw no reason for MRV and I was wrong about that...:lol:)

Rich

I've had PIP before and would love to have it again. It would come in handy on Sundays so I could watch NASCAR and Football.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#279 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

I've had PIP before and would love to have it again. It would come in handy on Sundays so I could watch NASCAR and Football.

It's nice on the HR34 (I use it for overlapping baseball playoff games + football, or two overlapping football games). Side-by-side is a great "wow" feature but unless your TV is huge it's not very useful. I have a 56" screen in the living room and I don't think the picture is big enough when there are two side by side. Putting the window in one of the corners is nice, however. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#280 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

It's nice on the HR34 (I use it for overlapping baseball playoff games + football, or two overlapping football games). Side-by-side is a great "wow" feature but unless your TV is huge it's not very useful. I have a 56" screen in the living room and I don't think the picture is big enough when there are two side by side. Putting the window in one of the corners is nice, however. :)

It would probably look good on my 67" Samsung. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall