Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR34-700 Home Media Center HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
710 replies to this topic

#661 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

If Stuart is correct and it's $6 per TV, that alters the way I think about deploying the HR34 and I suspect it might do the same for anyone that was running more than one DVR in their family room/living room for the purpose of having access to more tuners.

Original plan
Current: 3 DVRs in family room, 1 upstairs at remote TV
Post HR34: 1 HR34 + 1 HR24 in family room, 1 client box upstairs

New plan
Post HR34: 1 H34 in family room, 1 HR24 upstairs...

If we ever put a TV in the 2nd bedroom, it will get a client box. In the meantime, I'm going from 4 DVRs to 1 HR34 + 1 regular DVR. Unless they find some new fee, I'm going to save $12 per month (so I presume they'll find some new fee; does anyone know yet?!). We'll have 7 tuners instead of 8, but really we only make use of 6 now.

The $399 still feels ridiculous, but we'll see what they'll do for "premier" customers when the time is right. Question: When they don't ask for your gear back, can you sell it to someone obsessed with "owning" receivers?

Edited by markrogo, 25 October 2011 - 03:39 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#662 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:45 AM

They've already set precedent with MRV, charging $3 a month for the "service" to let you play recordings on a different receiver using your own home network. If MRV was a dud because the $3 price didn't attract customers, they may have adjusted the price, but it turned out to be very popular. So ... why do it? Because they can. They will charge what the market will bear.

Then they came out with NOMAD and that service was.......free except for the one time equipment cost. So it will be interesting to see how they end up doing this.
I think its fairly easy to think of solutions on how they will possibly charge for it in a home that ONLY has 1 HR34. Like the other poster mentioned about cable companies not able to charge for boxes they didn't have at homes they might charge per client, and if you have one built in then you not pay, or they might charge for flat rate all 3 together like others said since it can only stream to 3 at once and that would be the "max."

Now where it gets confusing is when you toss in the HR34 into the mix of WHDVR and other HR's. All depends on how they decide to charge for the "clients/RVU," as if its a large client/rvu fee(like ppl have suggested in this thread) does that "fee" include any box in the home or will they make it just "clients" so you'd have to pay for your mirroring fee also on other stb's in home as well. If thats the case then it makes it where the HR34 might not be suitable cost wise for everybody unless you replace multiple boxes with it and clients. Another thought is if they do the "lump charge" for it like some suggested in here, could they offer it and allow you to disable the RVU function on it and allow you to avoid the "lump charge/client/rvu fee" and only use it with WHDVR??

all in all it gets real interesting when you think about all the possibilities here and no one knows till the thing gets put mainstream for everyone to get...

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter, 25 October 2011 - 04:51 AM.

#663 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:28 AM

If you buy an RVU compatible TV, didn't you already pay for the RVU in the TV? So why would you have to pay $6 a month or so? Is this just to appease the content owners (NBC Universal, Viacom, CBS, Fox, etc...) ?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#664 OFFLINE   sd72667

sd72667

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

Actually I think that's a pretty fair price. 2 HD DVRs would cost $398 ($199 x 2) and the HR34 has more functionality then that.

New customers right now can get up to one HD-DVR and 3 HD receivers for free. That's $496 in free equipment. That means they could give out one HR34 and one H25 to new customers and be giving them about the same deal.

I'm hoping the thin clients will run about $50 a piece so maybe new customers could get one HR34 and two thin clients for free once they come out?

Why does DirecTV charge anything for a LEASED receiver? We still pay a lease fee every month. I believe Cable companies give you the receiver for free but charges a monthly lease fee. I'm already paying nearly $300 a month. With that said, I still want a HR34 under my Xmas tree in 2 months.

#665 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:51 AM

Why does DirecTV charge anything for a LEASED receiver? We still pay a lease fee every month. I believe Cable companies give you the receiver for free but charges a monthly lease fee. I'm already paying nearly $300 a month. With that said, I still want a HR34 under my Xmas tree in 2 months.

The "lease" fee replaces a "mirroring" fee on leased equipment. Either way, it's their way of authorizing service on each receiver beyond the first, without charging the full programming package fee for each additional receiver. (In brief, they switched to a "lease" approach for accounting purposes, to lower their overhead on cost of receivers and amortize the cost over the projected life span of receivers.)

#666 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

What Drew said. ^

Another way to look at it is "pay me now" or "pay me later". FiOS gives you a DVR for free, e.g., but charges you $15.99/month for service, $10 more than DirecTV's $6 lease fee. So at the end of 2 years, you paid an extra $240 for the Verizon DVR, vs. whatever you paid "up front" for the leased DirecTV DVR.
/steve

#667 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Get used to it. If you don't like it buy an antenna and a DTV converter.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#668 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

If you buy an RVU compatible TV, didn't you already pay for the RVU in the TV?

You paid for the client, yes.

So why would you have to pay $6 a month or so?

Content. That is why we all pay $6 a month for each receiver past #1 now, content.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#669 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

You paid for the client, yes.

Content. That is why we all pay $6 a month for each receiver past #1 now, content.

I bet it's mandated by the outrageous fees the content owners pass to DirecTV.

The taxman cometh, the taxman taketh away!

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#670 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

I bet it's mandated by the outrageous fees the content owners pass to DirecTV.

Yeah, but they get $6 now to "mirror" your account to each of your receivers, why wouldn't they for an RVU client?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#671 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

I think the RVU clients, no matter if external boxes or built-in, will be $6/month. However, there may also be a minimum charge that applies. It's still up in the air.

I think this (^) would be a mistake.

I'm aware that the use of the HR34 and RVU clients are intended to save DirecTV money (and not necessarily that of the subscriber), and...

...Granted, I have multiple DVRs and only intend ("intend" being the operative word) on getting one HR34 to use as a SUPER DVR... :D

... but, if I was a new subscriber and DirecTV offered an HR34/C30 setup in which I could place a C30 at every TV (including ones I rarely use) for a cheaper monthly price, I would consider them to be hard to beat compared to other providers. I would also be more open to subscribing to higher priced programming packages.

Not to mention that I would be more likely to convince others I know to switch to DirecTV for those very reasons. I know several people who still subscribe to cable because they don't have to pay "mirroring/leasing" fees for each individual TV, and would jump at the chance to get something like the HR34/C30 setup.

Not really surprised... just disappointed. :(

~Alan

#672 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

The cable companies couldn't get away with charging you for every TV you had in your house when you were using the TV tuners built into it. They could only charge you for each box that you rent from them. This is pretty much the same thing. You are using the RVU client built into your TV or Blu-Ray player, why should DirecTV be able to charge you for that?

I think in some markets where Comcast has gone all digital, they lease out small basic boxes for either free or $1.50 a month.

~Alan

#673 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

Alan, I could be wrong, but an example of a minimum monthly charge for an HR34 might be a "minimum of 3 clients", at $6 each, or $18. Since you can only use 3 clients simultaneously, I think this model would allow you to have an RVU client at every location, but only use 3 at a time.

So I could see an HR34 and 3 physical RVU clients having an "up front" charge of $399, e.g., and an $18 monthly charge (minimum 3 x $6).

And maybe an HR34 and no physical clients (because you have RVU TV's, or you plan to use it as an MRV server) is only $299 up front, but you still pay a minimum of $18 no matter how many RVU TV's you have, or a minimum of $18 for three H25's (that cost you $100 each up front). Just my .02.
/steve

#674 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Alan, I could be wrong, but an example of a minimum monthly charge for an HR34 might be a "minimum of 3 clients", at $6 each, or $18. Since you can only use 3 clients simultaneously, I think this model would allow you to have an RVU client at every location, but only use 3 at a time.

So I could see an HR34 and 3 physical RVU clients having an "up front" charge of $399, e.g., and an $18 monthly charge (minimum 3 x $6).

Again... wouldn't surprise me, but still disappointed if true. :(

And maybe an HR34 and no physical clients (because you have RVU TV's, or you plan to use it as an MRV server) is only $299 up front, but you still pay a minimum of $18 no matter how many RVU TV's you have, or a minimum of $18 for three H25's (that cost you $100 each up front). Just my .02.

~Alan

#675 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, but they get $6 now to "mirror" your account to each of your receivers, why wouldn't they for an RVU client?

The 'mirror' fee was brought as a fee "because we want" from beginning.
Pretty sure the 'bright' idea was 'borrowed' from cable co who charged per TV not that long time ago. What I thingk originally been invented as silly attempt to make it even with cinema theaters.
Yeah, each content provider would die to implement same model now: one person+one time view REQUIRED to pay [ticket] ! But that train is went out - Internet is biting their as.. umm, greed.

#676 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if most of that mirroring fee is pure profit.

Do content providers get paid per subscriber or per client machine?

#677 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

So you are saying you want to be able to use an HR34 with less than 3 RVU (or MRV) clients in the home?
/steve

#678 OFFLINE   deardeva

deardeva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

:lol: next year, next year, like the sound of that, :D since we cant get it this year, I will quite happily wait for the HR34. :sure: I dont have to be first on the list, just will be glad if I can get one of these in the future! ;) Looking up for Directv and me! :grin:

#679 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

I'm sure those of us with more than one receiver cost D* no more administrative/technical/content costs than those with just one lone receiver. :sure:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#680 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

I can understand if you lease a c30 or whatever external RVU box from DirecTV, because it's DirecTV's... but say you buy a Samsung HDTV with built in RVU... you OWN that RVU client. It's yours to do whatever you want with.

If the HR34 is built and designed to serve up to 3 RVU clients at a time, one has to wonder will it do so appropriately?

Currently I have an HR24 and it can serve DVR programs to other receivers in the house or my PC via DirecTV2PC.

Now an RVU TV doesn't have an access card slot. It's all being decrypted and decoded once, over in the HR34. So the license fee to NDS for access decryption technology isn't the issue here. My only guess is that content providers are pressuring DirecTV for this fee. "So and so can watch our stuff in different rooms at once? Blasphemy! More eyes = more money!!!!" (especially FOX).

I can see it going both ways. I see two sides to the argument here. While I would prefer your OWN RVU TV not susceptible to a mirror fee, because it is not a tuner (it's just Remote desktop-ed or whatever you want to call it) to the main box (1 access card, 1 physical machine). However like many have said, I'm sure if there's a way to charge money, they will.

Comcast gives 2 free DTA's and it's $1.99 for any beyond that. That only gives you about 100 channels though. If you want on demand, the full guide and everything else, including premiums, that'll cost you (sometimes as much as $9.80 in certain markets!!!)

---
HR24-200
H24-200

spam firewall