Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR34-700 Home Media Center HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
710 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

The 100SLs is a big step too - there were some rumors floating around that it was limited to 50 which isn't the case. I know there was a certain tester that couldn't wait to get to 51 and take a picture! :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

Great First Look but I am a bit confused. If this is available initially in a few select markets for NEW customers only and the RVU client is not available, doesn't this mean that the only NEW installation that it can be used in is a 1 TV setup?? (I am presuming that the number of current new clients with multiple RVU enabled TV's is 0) Or will they install H25's with MRV on additional TV's until the RVU client is released?

Just curious. Did I miss a step??

Not 100% sure, but I know it will MRV to H25s (or anything else for that matter) so that may be how they plan on implementing it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#123 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

As a 5-tuner beast DVR with PIP and 1TB standard, it's fabulous.

Never a conflict ever again.

Yes. I only have one TV, so the MRV thing is lost on me, but I do like bunches of tuners. I take it that this would match my SWM5 and replace my HR21 and HR20. If I add an AM21, how many tuners can get OTA?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#124 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

The 100SLs is a big step too - there were some rumors floating around that it was limited to 50 which isn't the case. I know there was a certain tester that couldn't wait to get to 51 and take a picture! :)

Guilty! :P

http://www.dbstalk.c...57&d=1308974640

#125 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

What are the physical dimensions of the box? I see in the picture that it is larger than the HR24 but not by much and I didn't see actual dimensions listed anywhere. I'm trying to figure out whether this will fit in a 2U rackmount slot like the HR24 or if it will require 3U.

#126 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

What are the physical dimensions of the box? I see in the picture that it is larger than the HR24 but not by much and I didn't see actual dimensions listed anywhere. I'm trying to figure out whether this will fit in a 2U rackmount slot like the HR24 or if it will require 3U.

Approximately 16"x12"x3". If you need precise, let me know. I'll have to pull it off the shelf to measure.
/steve

#127 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

I think you'll need 3U. I can measure it when I get home.

#128 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

So, how is this going to be leased? To simplify things, let's say that I am not using MRV, so just the HD DVR fees. Is there going to be a special charge for "advanced DVR" or some such? Or can I actually save some money off my bill? Is there some way to avoid a new purchase/lease fee by returning other leased units?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#129 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Carl, check your eyes :)

Composite Video is right there under the Component Video Outputs

Getting old sucks :lol: Don't know how I missed that, must have been really tired.

#130 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

I just got these dimensions from someone sitting in front of an HR34:

15.75" x 12.5" x 3.25"

#131 OFFLINE   mongo

mongo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

To me this box is a lot more useful if the software is updated to allow for categories or something similar on recorded shows. This would still allow the kids to view all of their recorded shows in one playlist, me in another, my wife in another, etc. Any word on whether that is coming, or do you have to view all recorded shows in one list. Also, any word on whether there is a search function for the playlist? Thanks.

#132 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

To me this box is a lot more useful if the software is updated to allow for categories or something similar on recorded shows. This would still allow the kids to view all of their recorded shows in one playlist, me in another, my wife in another, etc. Any word on whether that is coming, or do you have to view all recorded shows in one list. Also, any word on whether there is a search function for the playlist? Thanks.

It currently has the same playlist category filtering as the HR2x's.
/steve

#133 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Yes. I only have one TV, so the MRV thing is lost on me, but I do like bunches of tuners. I take it that this would match my SWM5 and replace my HR21 and HR20. If I add an AM21, how many tuners can get OTA?

Two ATSC channels, and adding the AM21 doesn't mean you can record 7 things at once, still limited to 5 concurrent.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#134 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

I just got these dimensions from someone sitting in front of an HR34:

15.75" x 12.5" x 3.25"

Thanks! 2U = 3.5" so hopefully Middle Atlantic will make it a 2U faceplate. My two HR24s take up 4 slots. I don't think I have room for 2 more slots if I replace them with HR34s!

#135 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

The other thing you need to know is that these receivers primarily vent out the side... see the first look for a view of the box fan. So if you're going to rack mount you may want to take that into consideration.

#136 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

Another excellent First Look.

I've been wanting to upgrade one of my HR-20's(failed HD - esata only) to an HR-24 for quite some time. Hopefully, DTV will get these out "mainstream" pretty quick. I'll save my "Nomad money" for one of these.

#137 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

This looks great as everybody has mentioned .I probably would like to add in near future if clients become available or if my HR20-700 goes south .Just recently had added HR24-100 and moved the 20 to 2nd location and still have H24-100 on 3rd set on whole house set up.Still could be nice to consolidate or just add this to my system especially with the series total and not to forget Pin P feature.

#138 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

The price is $399 sans promotions/rebates.

I'll get 2 of them to replace the 4 HD DVR's I have that do nothing but sports. It will save me on electricity and home theatre real estate.

Whats sans promotions/rebates and where did this information come from? Also I wonder what the price will be to own one.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#139 OFFLINE   mongo

mongo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

Just to explain what I am hoping for...
As DirecTV moves towards larger hard drives and 100 season passes, playlists become very difficult to use. In the same way as we have multiple Favorites lists (and search) for the guide, something similar is needed for playlists. For instance, I would like to set up several playlist categories/favorites such as "Kids" (for my young kids), "Teens" (for my 14 year old), and "Me". Each time I record something, I will specify the playlist(s) I want it associated with. Then each member of the family can go in and select their playlist to see their recorded shows. There should also be a search function.
This is the number one improvement I would like to see from DirecTV, and I believe it is more important as we consolidate onto fewer (or one) receiver with MRV. I am hoping to get support on this from the masses, as I believe it will improve the viewing experience for families quite a bit. Thanks.

#140 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

The first look got me all excited THANK YOU!

So let me understand how this works.. I currently have SWIM (8) Whole HOME DVR service with 3 HD DVRS (R22 - HR24 & HR23) Total of 6 tuners being used. So If I want to add the HR34, it would use 5 tuners, so I would need to eliminate my other receivers or extended my SWIM capability to 16?

Does DTV have RVU receivers? Do these receivers use up any tuners?

THANK You for all your help.. I'm exited.

spam firewall