Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR34-700 Home Media Center HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
710 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Also I wonder what the price will be to own one.

One arm and both legs. From the ACDT an HR2x is $562 and change so you can imagine, probably $1k+.

Just like all the others eventually owned ones will pop up but based on the way HR24s sold second hand I would bet an owned HR34 *right now* would bring $800 on ebay easily, eventually settling down to around the $500 mark, with better deals popping up from time to time.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Nice First Look, but why was the C30 RVU client the test team used not included in the review?

Also, while happy with the FL for the HR34 at least, not so happy with its release information known so far posted in the other thread.

HR34 price: $399.00 lease fee minus any possible promotional discounts.

Initial release date: 10/13, to new customers only in six test markets

Austin, Texas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Fresno, California
Phoenix, Arizona
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Salt Lake City, Utah

Release date for existing customers: 2012

Oh well ... looks like still another 4-5 months wait to go for us existing subs. :(

#143 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Okay, I ranted and raved a little bit about lack of flexibility as compared to a MythTV setup before, and I thought the HR34 would have only 4 tuners. But I am beginning to see where the HR34 would be a perfect fit in my home, albeit still not as flexible or unified as the potential MythTV setup I really want.

I would get 2 of them (one each for myself and my wife, located at our primary viewing locations in the living room and family room), an H2x box or two (for the MBR and a possible 2nd BR), a SWM16 switch, re-convert my dish back to the 4-output LNB assembly from the SWMLine LNB, and a pair of fast 2TB SATA drives in eSATA enclosures for storage on each of the HR34s. One HR34 would be "mine" and I could manage it easily enough from my primary viewing location in the family room. The other HR34 would belong to my wife and she could manage it from her primary viewing location in the living room. The MBR would get an H2x box to get live feeds and to watch recordings from either of the HR34s. Another BR *might* get another H2x in the future, depending on if we turn that room into a full guest BR or not.

I currently have a trio of HR20s running MRV in unsupported mode using my home LAN to shuttle shows from box to box, so I have no DECA equipment at all. I mention this because I have a few questions:

First, if I decide to make this move when the HR34 becomes available, I'm assuming it will have DECA built in?

Second, if DECA is built in and I want to bridge the DECA system into my home LAN, would I need to supply a DECA adapter or could I simply plug one of the HR34 boxes into my home LAN, instead?

Lastly, what H2x receiver should I be looking at getting for the BRs to have DECA built-in, as well?

As always, this community rocks. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind about my first and last question... I answered both of those after a lot of searching and reading. However, I think I can safely assume that I need the DECA broadband adapter (and a bandpass filter or two) to get the entire setup bridged to my home LAN, which was my second question above.

Edited by racermd, 07 October 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#144 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Nice First Look, but why was the C30 RVU client the test team used not included in the review?

Also, while happy with the FL for the HR34 at least, not so happy with its release information known so far posted in the other thread.

Austin, Texas
Fresno, California
Phoenix, Arizona
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Salt Lake City, Utah

Oh well ... looks like still another 4-5 months wait to go for us existing subs. :(

I have no information regarding a C30 client.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#145 ONLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Austin, Texas
Fresno, California
Phoenix, Arizona
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks for the test markets - I had forgotten which ones during the initial MRV rollout.

Will this be a self-install? Since I bat about 33% with adequate installers, I would prefer to do it myself.

Will it be available thru Solid signal?

#146 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

I don't think that's been decided yet.

#147 OFFLINE   sipester

sipester

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Just so I have this straight, there are 5 different streaming options from the HR34:

1. Stream to another HR device with MRV (benefit is local tuner and local trick play for live tv and local recordings, downside is that from the HR, you can't control the recordings of the HR 34)

2. Stream to another H device (benefit is local tuner and you can control recordings of HR34, downside is no trick play for live tv using local tuner).

3. Stream to an RVU device (benefit is trick play for live tv and control of recordings on HR34, downside is no local tuner (but generally a moot point since 5 tuners in HR34)

4. Stream to PC (can only view recorded programs (although that could include a "live" recording, no control of recordings on HR34)

5. Stream to Nomad

From what I understand, there are a maximum of 3 streams for all 5 options above, and items 1 - 4 are on a first-come, first serve basis. I.e., if you try under any of the first 4 options to get a stream and 3 are in use, you'll get a busy signal.

For #5, streaming to Nomad will occur as long as 2 or fewer streams are occuring to the first 4 types of devices. Otherwise, once stream 3 is requested by one of those 4, the nomad will pause.

Also, from what I've read I think these are the limits of what could connect to the HR34:

Items 1, 2, & 4 (HR, H, and PC): I think up to a maximum of 15 other devices can connect (for a big house, but note only 3 streams available at any one time)

Item 3 (RVU): I think up to 8

Item 5 (Nomad): In theory, one could try to connect up to 3 nomad, each to capture one of the 3 streams available. That could be helpful in a house where more than one person wanted to watch things on the go, is this possible or can you only connect 1 nomad?

So in theory, I think there could be a maximum of 26 other devices (even though I doubt anyone would get near that limit) connected to the HR34 for streaming.

Anyone have any thoughts to the contrary on this?

#148 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Not enough e's in sweeeeeeeeet to describe this new box.

Wish I was in one of the test markets for this. Ah well. I can wait...sort of...maybe...:D
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#149 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

This thing has got to be the best DVR on the market.

Except that it isn't on the market yet.

It will probably be the best DIRECTV DVR on the market once it becomes "on the market". The market is already populated with similarly functional DVRs from FIOS, AT&T and Comcast (AnyRoom DVR). One might give a slight practical advantage to the Comcast unit as each client is a fully functional receiver so it doesn't consume a DVR tuner to watch live TV.

For $400 + a yet-to-be-announced monthly fee, it needs to be awfully good.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out once populated with client devices (assuming such clients make an appearance in appreciable quantities).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#150 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

Not enough e's in sweeeeeeeeet to describe this new box.

Only needed 2 to do the First Look! :P
/steve

#151 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

It will probably be the best DIRECTV DVR on the market once it becomes "on the market". The market is already populated with similarly functional DVRs from FIOS, AT&T and Comcast (AnyRoom DVR). One might give a slight practical advantage to the Comcast unit as each client is a fully functional receiver so it doesn't consume a DVR tuner to watch live TV.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out once populated with client devices (assuming such clients make an appearance in appreciable quantities).

But do any of theirs offer 5 turners like the HR34 does or they have PIP either?

#152 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

Just so I have this straight, there are 5 different streaming options from the HR34:

1. Stream to another HR device with MRV (benefit is local tuner and local trick play for live tv and local recordings, downside is that from the HR, you can't control the recordings of the HR 34)

2. Stream to another H device (benefit is local tuner and you can control recordings of HR34, downside is no trick play for live tv using local tuner).

Correct on both.

3. Stream to an RVU device (benefit is trick play for live tv and control of recordings on HR34, downside is no local tuner (but generally a moot point since 5 tuners in HR34)

Correct

4. Stream to PC (can only view recorded programs (although that could include a "live" recording, no control of recordings on HR34)

5. Stream to Nomad

Correct on both.

From what I understand, there are a maximum of 3 streams for all 5 options above, and items 1 - 4 are on a first-come, first serve basis. I.e., if you try under any of the first 4 options to get a stream and 3 are in use, you'll get a busy signal.

Correct, though the exact type "busy signal", popup message or whatever, is unknown AFAIK.

For #5, streaming to Nomad will occur as long as 2 or fewer streams are occuring to the first 4 types of devices. Otherwise, once stream 3 is requested by one of those 4, the nomad will pause.

Correct

Also, from what I've read I think these are the limits of what could connect to the HR34:

Items 1, 2, & 4 (HR, H, and PC): I think up to a maximum of 15 other devices can connect (for a big house, but note only 3 streams available at any one time)

Yes if you include the CCK as one of the DECA nodes for DIRECTV2PC, correct

Item 3 (RVU): I think up to 8

According to news from the CEDIA Expo. 2011, yes up to eight registered RVU clients with no more than three active at any one time of course.

Item 5 (Nomad): In theory, one could try to connect up to 3 nomad, each to capture one of the 3 streams available. That could be helpful in a house where more than one person wanted to watch things on the go, is this possible or can you only connect 1 nomad?

Only one nomad unit allowed per account.

So in theory, I think there could be a maximum of 26 other devices (even though I doubt anyone would get near that limit) connected to the HR34 for streaming.

Actually 24 by this count, as only one nomad is permitted.

#153 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

Worth mentioning again, there aren't any RVU clients yet. DIRECTV is expected to release one at some point and Samsung should enable it on their 2011-model smart TVs.

#154 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

Nice job on the First Look as always Stuart :)

I can attest this has been a unique and fun box to work with.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#155 OFFLINE   sipester

sipester

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Actually 24 by this count, as only one nomad is permitted.

Thanks HoTat2. This is great fun for us geeks, but I wonder how the marketing dept. is going to try to explain the HR34 and Nomad & RVU's and MRV to the average Joe?!

#156 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

It will probably be the best DIRECTV DVR on the market once it becomes "on the market". The market is already populated with similarly functional DVRs from FIOS, AT&T and Comcast One might give a slight practical advantage to the Comcast unit as each client is a fully functional receiver so it doesn't consume a DVR tuner to watch live TV.

I would disagree that it's not "on the market" as would everyone in Austin, Texas; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Fresno, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Salt Lake City, Utah.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#157 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Your point is well made but I have been told that supplies in those markets are very limited at this time.

#158 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

My Samsung UN55D6400 is a RVU client/capable TV. I am so looking forward to combining it with the 34!

And please inform us if it anyway less than a Hxx when you get your HR34.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#159 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I agree! Great field trial! :) Great first look as usual Stuart.

Nice job on the First Look as always Stuart :)

I can attest this has been a unique and fun box to work with.

#160 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

And please inform us if it anyway less than a Hxx when you get your HR34.

I have an HR34 and a Samsung UN46D6420 and it doesn't work over RVU, yet. That's all I can tell you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...