Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR34-700 Home Media Center HD DVR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
710 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Do we know what Markets they are in?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yes, just read from beginning or use Search inside the thread.

#163 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

From just a few posts above: Austin, Texas; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Fresno, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Salt Lake City, Utah.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#164 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,966 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I wish I could find an installer in one of those areas to ship one here. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#165 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

What's holding up the C30? Pace announced that it passed RVU certification 6 weeks ago. Now we've got the HR34 getting released. Is the HR34 not properly working with RVU yet maybe? We haven't heard anything about the HR34 being RVU certifited yet (at least not that I can remember).

Possibly waiting for the new HD-GUI, maybe it has all the RVU stuff built into the programming and they didn't bother adding the RVU stuff to the old programming/GUI?

Really looking forward to this getting a broader release. Hoping to pick one up for my parents and finally get them switched from Comcast to DirecTV. So anyone heard anything on pricing yet for new customers? I know right now they are advertising 1 HD-DVR and 3 HD receivers for free. That adds up to $500 if you had to pay full price, so maybe they will give one HR34 to a new customer, but you will have to pay for all additional HR2x/H2x/C30s?

Anyone know what the monthly mirroring fee for this is? Maybe some of the people who beta tested? I would think now that it is available to customers we should be able to be told what the fees are going to be.

Edited by Beerstalker, 07 October 2011 - 12:11 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#166 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

So when using PIP is that using 2 tuners of still just one?

#167 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Can the HR34 output different channels to 2 separate tv's, or is it just PiP on one tv?

:)

#168 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

What's holding up the C30? Pace announced that it passed RVU certification 6 weeks ago. Now we've got the HR34 getting released. Is the HR34 not properly working with RVU yet maybe? We haven't heard anything about the HR34 being RVU certifited yet (at least not that I can remember).

The device formerly known as the HMC30 prototype device was rebranded into the current HR34 name. That change actually took place early this year, and was referenced from the onsite reports from the Consumer Electronics Show back at that time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#169 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

So when using PIP is that using 2 tuners of still just one?

2 tuners, because when you have PIP active, you use Double Play as a means to quickly swap Video and Audio between pictures.

Edited by Canis Lupus, 07 October 2011 - 12:43 PM.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#170 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Can the HR34 output different channels to 2 separate tv's, or is it just PiP on one tv?

:)

If you're asking are there two independent HDMI or component outputs, or a TV2 like Dish receivers, no.

But remember that the HR34 is designed to be a RVU server, handling three concurrent clients. So that means that you can have the main set using PIP with two tuners and the other three being used by three RVU clients.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#171 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

First, great job on the FL as always. :)

And 5 pages in, I have not seen it asked, (if it was and I missed it, the oops) will it do more than 2 DLB's? In other words, can I have 4 DLB's? Would make watching college football awesome. :D

My plan is to get 2. One on my TV and one to help eliminate SPOF by mirroring the other one as well as other DVR's recordings. I will keep it off the "grid" so to speak, but keep it somewhere it will be easy enough to do playlist maintenance. Both will have 2TB drives.

#172 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

I do not think it does IR and RF at the same time. This was never something we discussed.

Just tested mine. It does not do IR and RF at the same time.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#173 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

And 5 pages in, I have not seen it asked, (if it was and I missed it, the oops) will it do more than 2 DLB's? . :D

No - just 1 pair of DLB (DP). But I suppose with 2 boxes you'd have 4 buffers :D
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#174 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

First, great job on the FL as always. :)

And 5 pages in, I have not seen it asked, (if it was and I missed it, the oops) will it do more than 2 DLB's? In other words, can I have 4 DLB's? Would make watching college football awesome. :D

My plan is to get 2. One on my TV and one to help eliminate SPOF by mirroring the other one as well as other DVR's recordings. I will keep it off the "grid" so to speak, but keep it somewhere it will be easy enough to do playlist maintenance. Both will have 2TB drives.

No QLB (Quad Live buffer). Effectively it uses DLB to do PiP. In fact, the swapping uses the down arrow as DLB does.

#175 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Great First Look but I am a bit confused. If this is available initially in a few select markets for NEW customers only and the RVU client is not available, doesn't this mean that the only NEW installation that it can be used in is a 1 TV setup?? (I am presuming that the number of current new clients with multiple RVU enabled TV's is 0) Or will they install H25's with MRV on additional TV's until the RVU client is released?

Just curious. Did I miss a step??

They have to be setting it up as MRV right now.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#176 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Will there be an extra monthly fee to use this bad boy?

#177 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

No QLB (Quad Live buffer). Effectively it uses DLB to do PiP. In fact, the swapping uses the down arrow as DLB does.

Exactly - here's a quick video on PIP on the HR34-700. Sorry in advance - I kept referring to 1 of the channels as ESPN. It was actually ESPN News.

Hmm for some reason the embedded player isn't working - here's the direct link:
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#178 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I've been waiting on this "First Look" for MONTHS!!

I haven't been feeling well the last couple of weeks, so I only saw the front page yesterday ONCE. Imagine my surprise to see it was posted yesterday some time after that... :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm a little disappointed by the 100 Series Link limit. Though I'd prefer unlimited, the 100 limit would probably work for me (certainly better than 50 anyway), but it'd need to be double that before it would work for my household. Thankfully, one HR34 wouldn't work for my household anyway, so not that big of a deal...

I wish there was more verification as to whether the rumors about the eSATA drives were true, but the rumor was that it wouldn't be different from the start anyway, so...

I'm a little disappointed that I can't get one until next year, but then again, I'm dealing with some serious money issues right now, so it's probably for the best. :mad:

I wish we had more information regarding the monthly fee...

I wish we knew if the rumors about an eventual swap-discount being true. I have an HR20-700 and HR23-700 that I'd like to get rid of, and I could probably clear off the HR20-700 in the next couple of months and save myself a lease fee, but I'd hate to get rid of it knowing a few months later that I could save some money on the HR34 by hanging on to it for an additional period of time.

Still, I want one VERY badly... does anyone know if DirecTV will accept slightly used souls as payment?! :D

Great job on the "First Look" guys! :)

~Alan

#179 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

Here's a bit of a novelty picture - 5 simultaneous record icons on a single receiver. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#180 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Here's a bit of a novelty picture - 5 simultaneous record icons on a single receiver. :)

Very Cool Canis!

That picture is a keeper! :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...