Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Free Agents" premiers - no, not that one, the original one

failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Posted Image

"Free Agents" premiers tomorrow, Saturday, October 8.

Now you may ask "Didn't NBC just cancel this show?"

Yes. But the 2009 original will be shown on BBCA - all six episodes which is the usual season for Brit TV. Unfortunately this Channel 4 Television Corporation production was not picked up for even another six.

So if you're NBC, why not buy an American version...?:rolleyes:

And yet, I'm going to watch because I'd bet the six episodes will be funnier. I may be wrong, but I'll risk the half hour.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

It is so effing funny however as the norm BBCA will probably edit it for broadcast tv, don't know why they do that because they are a cable channel. I am afraid much of the risqué humor will be bleeped or removed.

Here is a post I put on my Facebook wall about Free Agents:

Clyde Jewett

I love UK TV shows, I'm currently watching the Channel 4 comedy Free Agents which NBC is remaking hoping for another "Office". Anyway the funny thing about our British cousins is they have so many different slang words for just about everything. I speak English yet I'm always having to look up words like Bellend or Minge. Todays word from Free Agents UK was Felching. The sad thing is once you learn the meaning of a newly discovered word no matter how hard you try you can never unlearn it.

LikeUnlike · · Share · 16 September at 00:59 near Miami

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Yes. But the 2009 original will be shown on BBCA - all six episodes which is the usual season for Brit TV. Unfortunately this Channel 4 Television Corporation production was not picked up for even another six.

So if you're NBC, why not buy an American version...?:rolleyes:

Well...

To be fair... The Office was a huge hit in the UK... but only had two 6-episode seasons plus a Christmas special (~14 episodes total)... and yet NBC has taken that into what 7 or 8 20+ episode seasons now?

The flip side... Fawlty Towers has been optioned a couple of times in the US to abysmal failure.

Sometimes the shows work, sometimes they don't. When they do work, it's genius and we get WAY more than the BBC ever does for a series... but when they fail, they tend to crash and burn in a hurry.

I honestly can't think of any middle-of-the-road American options for British shows. They all seem to be great success or horrible failure.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Whoa, it's the Brit from Episodes.

#5 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

The flip side... Fawlty Towers has been optioned a couple of times in the US to abysmal failure.

I thought that sounded familiar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182623/
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

Whoa, it's the Brit from Episodes.

Yeah, that's what makes the failure of the American version of "Free Agents" so ironic. Brit show brought to America....;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...