Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722K interrupted recording issue

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I also posted this problem on the DISH Network Support Forum.

My 722K has recently started doing a strange thing. Several times a week when I check some of my new recordings I will have one or more shows recorded where instead of just one single recording it will have up to 3 partial recordings for the same program.....if it is a 1 hour show one of the recordings will typically show 0:00 for the time, a second one will show 4 or 5 minutes and then the last one will show 50+ minutes with some gaps in the program that apparently did not get recorded. I am not sure what is happening here but I am seeing this happen more and more often since the problem first appeared.

I have not noticed anything like this happening yet while I am actually watching tv while also recording a show but I have seen my 722K reboot itself a few times while I was watching TV. I got the 722K in August and have seen it reboot itself maybe 3 times since I had it installed. I wonder if it is rebooting itself while recording when I am not watching it and if that is causing my partial recordings.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on with my DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fuzzface

fuzzface

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

What are your HD temps (menu-6-3 then page down a few pages)? Sounds like your unit is getting too hot and rebooting to cool down a bit. Not good signs...

#3 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the help, Fuzzface!

My HD Temps are showing as:

HDD high temp: 140F

HDD low temp: 77F

HDD average temp: 123F

I am not sure what normal should be

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Check a history of your signals also under System Info One -> Details.

#5 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Check a history of your signals also under System Info One -> Details.

Thank you for the help, P Smith. If I am looking at the right place it is telling me that the status is "GOOD" after it went through a few minutes of testing. Is that what you wanted me to check?

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Not exactly - other window under Details button.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

I would say your receiver is rebooting while recording. You can check by looking at the schedule under DVR, go back to when they recorded and it will tell you if it rebooted.

As mentioned a possible reason is temperature/poor ventilation. It could also signal a bad hard drive. Often a loss of the 9 day guide goes along with that.

But first thing to do is unplug the receiver, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in. That sometimes (often) fixes alot of things that the overnight update does not.

#8 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

I would say your receiver is rebooting while recording. You can check by looking at the schedule under DVR, go back to when they recorded and it will tell you if it rebooted.

As mentioned a possible reason is temperature/poor ventilation. It could also signal a bad hard drive. Often a loss of the 9 day guide goes along with that.

But first thing to do is unplug the receiver, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in. That sometimes (often) fixes alot of things that the overnight update does not.

Great call on that advice, Tampa8. Going back through the history of my scheduled recordings, I see where the partial recordings says "Stopped" and then when I look at the details it tells me they were stopped due to 'STB Reboot" so it appears that my 722K is rebooting for 'whatever' reason.

I did power it off/on again to see if this will help. If not, I think I will plug it into a different outlet next as I have another one within reach of the power cord. If none of this things fix the problem I will look into getting the 722K replaced.

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

The DVR isn't in a enclosed space is it? Running hot can make it flakey too. So can stacking it on top of or under something that runs hot too. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see that putting something on it or to close to the sides makes it run hot also.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#10 OFFLINE   fuzzface

fuzzface

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

The DVR isn't in a enclosed space is it? Running hot can make it flakey too. So can stacking it on top of or under something that runs hot too. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see that putting something on it or to close to the sides makes it run hot also.

722ks run hot even if not plugged in and still in their original box. :lol:

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Trying a different outlet is excellent advice, I should have mentioned it.

#12 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

Trying a different outlet is excellent advice, I should have mentioned it.

My 722K is on an open glass shelf underneath my TV and the only thing on top of it is my Slingbox. The 722K always feels quite warm but not hot. I suspect that is just normal operating temps for it.

Unplugging the DVR and plugging it back in after about 30 seconds didn't fix the issue this time, either. I suspected it would not since I have done that in the past. I am going to switch outlets today and see it that helps the problem.

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

Be sure you don't have conflicting timers. If you only have a few timers it might be worth the time to delete them and put fresh ones in. It's possible nothing will work because the hard drive is going bad, though I would expect to see the guide showing "No information available" often too.

Also did you do a memory dump? I don't have a 722, but if it's the same as the 612;

Menu
System setup
Diagnostics
Info
Right Arrow (where select is)(Browse)
Left Arrow (Themes)

Some information will come up, then hit Info again. It might say "volatile memory has been corrupted." It then might say when you do a front panel reset or unplug the receiver it will be cleared. So then unplug the receiver.

In the times I have done that, it has never erased any user information. This is not the same as a complete system reset to factory. You may have to do a separate switch test after this, but usually not.

Someone can correct me, but I believe when the information comes up, one of the first blocks at the bottom row will have a number. If it's a high number you may have an unfix-able problem. I seem to remember 3 is a normal number.

There is an HDD test from that screen also, it's posted here somewhere at DbsTalk.

Edited by tampa8, 11 October 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

This happens to me ocassionally. With me, it's dropouts from the channels and its only my locals that come through the locals package and almost always either Fox or CBS.

#15 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

Be sure you don't have conflicting timers. If you only have a few timers it might be worth the time to delete them and put fresh ones in. It's possible nothing will work because the hard drive is going bad, though I would expect to see the guide showing "No information available" often too.

Also did you do a memory dump? I don't have a 722, but if it's the same as the 612;

Menu
System setup
Diagnostics
Info
Right Arrow (where select is)(Browse)
Left Arrow (Themes)

Some information will come up, then hit Info again. It might say "volatile memory has been corrupted." It then might say when you do a front panel reset or unplug the receiver it will be cleared. So then unplug the receiver.

In the times I have done that, it has never erased any user information. This is not the same as a complete system reset to factory. You may have to do a separate switch test after this, but usually not.

Someone can correct me, but I believe when the information comes up, one of the first blocks at the bottom row will have a number. If it's a high number you may have an unfix-able problem. I seem to remember 3 is a normal number.

There is an HDD test from that screen also, it's posted here somewhere at DbsTalk.

I thought you had actually solved the problem. Changed wall outlets and I went through all of my timers and deleted a bunch of old ones and also set the start and end times on all of them to 0 minutes instead of having some of them record 1 minute longer, etc. For about 1 1/2 days that seemed to fix the problem but that was not the case. I am still getting partial recordings again..... :(

I did not see where the memory dump option is on the 722K. Maybe someone can chime in here and let me know and then I will check that next.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

It's hidden option, not in menu - follow those steps, press remote's buttons.

#17 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

Finally just contacted Dish support and spent about 10 minutes with them via online chat. The tech very quickly determined that my 722K is defective and a new one is on the way and should be here Monday.

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Well you certainly tried most everything!! Hope the new(er) one fixes the problem for you.

#19 OFFLINE   slong115

slong115

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

Well you certainly tried most everything!! Hope the new(er) one fixes the problem for you.

Got the new 722K and had it up and running last night......and within a few hours it was already showing the same problem as the last one. I have a Sling adapter and a Logitech Revue attached to the 722K so I am going to disconnect both of them to see if perhaps one of those devices is causing the problem but I am not holding out much hope that either one of those is the culprit.

Did a Google search on 'Event stopped due to STB reboot' and discovered that I am not the only one having this issue but so far the only solutions I am coming across involve repeatedly swapping out the 722K until you get one that doesn't have this particular issue. This is quite frustrating!!

#20 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Try unplugging everything on that circuit breaker line except for your TV and the DVR before you go to bed.

If it stops rebooting while recording, not very likely, you can start adding what was plugged in until it starts rebooting again.

Best of luck
Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...