Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hockey in HD

• Please log in to reply
796 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Both Dish and InDemand are showing CBC's Hockey Night in Canada in HD as part of NHL Center Ice.

So it looks like DirecTV have decided not to pick these up. Not surprising but disappointing.

Come on DirecTV, I thought you were the leader in sports broadcasting.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   iluvtv

iluvtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

One can only assume it must be some type of contract thing, no other reason could be possible. :(

#3 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

I suppose it's contract in the sense they aren't REQUIRED to carry Canadian HD but it's more that they would rather pocket our money.

This package costs the same on all platforms, but we are getting less.

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

I suppose it's contract in the sense they aren't REQUIRED to carry Canadian HD but it's more that they would rather pocket our money.

This package costs the same on all platforms, but we are getting less.

very few cable systems have all 9 HD feeds. Most only have 1-2 HD feeds.

Dish can't even get RSN HD right. Dish I want my local games in HD.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

I probably would have kept Center Ice this year if they had all available HD feeds. Enough Red Wings games on Versus, NBC, and NHL Network (in addition to the weeks of free previews now and mid-season) for me. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I enjoy the CBC (and Rogers Sportsnet) coverage enough to justify the expense if those games were in HD. No HD = No sale.

#6 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:36 AM

This is my first year with Center Ice. Hard to tell after a couple of days how much Im actually gonna watch. but the MLB package was so much better as far as what's available in HD.

PS I got plenty of discounts when I made the call a few days ago.

#7 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

A couple of answers...

The NHL does have a material weakness in the manner it operates versus the other major sports leagues. MLB and NBA require its members to provide HD and SD feed of games to a central broadcast center and controls the sale of out of market games on the web and tv. The NHL is much weaker and does not have such an arrangement. The only thing they receive from their clubs is an SD feed. All else is subject to negotiations.

Directv uses cost accounting rules for Center Ice and is not concerned about marketing failures. Last year SR clearly indicated the low overall subscription rate for CI precluded taking bandwidth from other operations to put up HD broadcasts that are not simply remapping RSNs. Also, since HD is not provided by the league, then additional costs exists in acquiring the signal.

My hope is twofold. NBA lockout gets the NHL to seize the opportunity. The owners stop being myopic and truly try to put the best product on the ice and in living rooms. The lockout also produces higher subscription rates along with InDemand's expansion puts pressure on Directv to provide HD feeds.

#8 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

This is your opportunity to watch the CBC HD feed of a game. The Canadiens/Jets game on NHLN right now.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

This is your opportunity to watch the CBC HD feed of a game. The Canadiens/Jets game on NHLN right now.

It was nice to see...except for the wretched crawl/ticker across the bottom of the screen.

#10 OFFLINE   mcl77

mcl77

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

It was nice to see...except for the wretched crawl/ticker across the bottom of the screen.

this is off topic, been when are we going to be able to remove those score tickers??? These channels should give you the option without having to zoom in and mess up the picture.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

When has any channel had an optional crawler? I'd assume that was in the feed

#12 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Noticed that Canucks/Flyers Wed. and Flames/Habs Thursday are listed as HD feeds. Could Canadian HD finally be coming?

#13 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

Wait to see them live on your TV before you decide. D* has a history of changing the guide (removing HD feed channels) right before game time.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#14 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Wait to see them live on your TV before you decide. D* has a history of changing the guide (removing HD feed channels) right before game time.

I know, but it seems they're updating their schedule pretty regularly with the MSG HD on again off again nonsense. Plus I really don't care that much for the above teams so if they're not HD, it's not going to ruin my day.

#15 OFFLINE   crimpshrine

crimpshrine

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Noticed that Canucks/Flyers Wed. and Flames/Habs Thursday are listed as HD feeds. Could Canadian HD finally be coming?

I noticed the same thing yesterday but now the HD feeds have disappeared in my guide..

#16 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

Canucks/Flyers might be CSN Philly. DirecTV did use CSN Philly HD during the playoffs last season. That said, the last time I looked in my guide neither of the two games you mentioned were listed in HD, though they could've been added since (given all the recent guide updates, it's hard to know what's where).

#17 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Canucks/Flyers might be CSN Philly. DirecTV did use CSN Philly HD during the playoffs last season. That said, the last time I looked in my guide neither of the two games you mentioned were listed in HD, though they could've been added since (given all the recent guide updates, it's hard to know what's where).

I saw them last night, sounds like they are gone already.

#18 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I saw them last night, sounds like they are gone already.

Yeah, they're gone all right. I did, however, see the Canucks/Oilers game listed in HD on Saturday, but who knows...

No MSG Plus 2 HD (as seen with the Devils/Preds game on Saturday). Cablevision still withholding the overflow HD feeds it appears. Oh well, at least the game's available in at least some form (how in the world did tomorrow's Avs/Jackets game manage not to get any TV coverage at all?!).

#19 OFFLINE   crimpshrine

crimpshrine

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

how in the world did tomorrow's Avs/Jackets game manage not to get any TV coverage at all?!

I was thinking the same thing? I thought Altitude showed all the Avs games? Looking at the schedule for both RSN's that cover the teams, they are showing "filler" shows in the games time slot. :confused:

#20 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:18 AM

I was thinking a Versus exclusive but that wouldn't explain the Flyers being on CSN Philly.

Edit: A bit of research shows that Versus exclusives are for games beginning at 7:00. The Flyers are starting at 7:30. That's from the Avs message boards so take it with a grain of salt but it does make sense.

Edited by Grafixguy, 12 October 2011 - 07:26 AM.
added info

Protected By... spam firewall...And...