Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hockey in HD

• Please log in to reply
796 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

6pm Thursdays is when NHL Hour is live via XM and via the NHL website. I think we need to start calling in about the lack of Canadian HD feeds in the NHL CI package and we can also state our displeasure about the lack of the dual CBC HNIC games (7pm and 10pm). I don't care about NHL On The Fly. If I want scores, I can look on the internet, ESPN, or even the score crawl on the bottom of the screen on NHL Network.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

When they originally went from both games to just one, lots of callers into Bettman complained. His answer was that their studies showed more people wanted to watch NHL Live than the second game (which was available on a CI channel).

#23 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

If you want to call in to the NHL Hour, here is the # 877-645-6696 and the [link] with more info.

"The NHL Hour with Commissioner Gary Bettman" broadcasts live on Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. ET on NHL Home Ice (XM Channel 92 and on Sirius Channel 207 as part of the "Best of XM" programming package) and NHL.com.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#24 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

I was thinking a Versus exclusive but that wouldn't explain the Flyers being on CSN Philly.

Edit: A bit of research shows that Versus exclusives are for games beginning at 7:00. The Flyers are starting at 7:30. That's from the Avs message boards so take it with a grain of salt but it does make sense.

No it doesn't make sense. I've looked through the NHL schedule and found numerous examples that disprove that theory (games scheduled at 7:00PM alongside a Versus game with local TV coverage, including games on Wednesdays). Further, if 7:00PM was the magic start time, it would be very easy for teams o move the start time a half hour later and get around it (many games in the eastern time zone start at 7:30PM). Finally, note that Versus' game tonight is at 7:30PM. Why would Versus have exclusivity at a time when they aren't carrying a game?

This is the only game all year that Altitude isn't televising (apart from those scheduled on Versus). I'm sure there's a reason, but the one you gave doesn't hold up.

#25 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Regarding the "Exclusive" games:

Included in the schedule is a "Game of the Week" for selected dates. In this "Exclusive" time period, which was created in 2006–07, no other National Hockey League game may be broadcast involving a team based in the United States and, in most cases, no other game is scheduled unless it involves two Canadian teams. Regional carriers are allowed to air games outside Versus' exclusive window.

Like NBC, games aired on The NHL on Versus usually feature teams based in the United States, with the exception of playoffs. As previously mentioned, for the first two playoff rounds, Versus will occasionally simulcast TSN or CBC feeds depending on the schedule and match-ups, although it has made a commitment to offering its own production in most cases.

The selection of teams for The NHL on Versus is somewhat more diverse (possibly because there are more game slots to air) than its broadcast partner, NBC. Because of inordinately high ratings in the Buffalo and Pittsburgh markets, Versus has made note to air a significant number of games featuring the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins. Traditionally ratings-friendly teams such as the New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, and Boston Bruins, along with the Comcast-owned Philadelphia Flyers, also get selected regularly, frequently at or near the maximum of nine appearances per team during the regular season.

Any regular season game selected by Versus airs exclusively on that network, which has caused controversy due to the relative lack of availability of Versus compared to other channels like ESPN (a similar situation developed with Thursday Night Football on the NFL Network, but unlike the NHL games on Versus, these games are not exclusive to NFL Network, and must be simulcast over-the-air in the primary markets of the participating teams).

http://en.wikipedia...._of_the_Week.22
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Regarding the "Exclusive" games:

http://en.wikipedia...._of_the_Week.22

I know about that. In years past, the exclusive window affected games that started within 2 hours of the Versus game's start time. Tonight's game on Versus is at 7:30PM, and there's another game at 7:30PM with local TV coverage (Canucks at Flyers on CSN Philly). Thus, the Versus exclusive window is not in effect tonight, at least not in the same way it was in past seasons.

I looked through the full schedule now, and it looks as though what was posted earlier (games affected only when they start at 7:00PM) might be true. I was able to find two other games scheduled on a Wednesday at 7:00PM that lacked TV (Phoenix @ Carolina and Florida @ Carolina). In each case the game was the only one at 7:00PM that night. That being said, I found several other Wednesdays in which this did not apply - games scheduled at 7:00PM with local TV. So, I guess the Versus thing only applies on certain Wednesdays and not others. (There were also a number of Wednesdays without any games at 7:00PM.)

I still think it's silly. Why in the world would Versus have an exclusive window that only affected games at 7:00, especially when their own game is at 7:30?

#27 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Well pardon me for trying.

#28 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

this is off topic, been when are we going to be able to remove those score tickers??? These channels should give you the option without having to zoom in and mess up the picture.

I'll give you one worse. First game of the season, Isles v. Panthers, and the MSG+ feed is "blacked out" in Nevada for unknown reason (Dolans suck, cough, cough), so gamesearch found the Panthers boradcast. Unfortunately, the Panthers broadcast has closed captioning embedded across the bottom 1/3 of the screen. Its in the broadcast, so no way to turn it off. And to top it off, the captioning is about 30 seconds delayed from the action. I guess the median age for a Panthers fan is around 90, so they need the CC to know what's going on, but come on!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#29 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

this is off topic, been when are we going to be able to remove those score tickers??? These channels should give you the option without having to zoom in and mess up the picture.

You'd think in 2011 with ESPNEWS, smartphones, and iPads that the demand for tickers would decrease but it seems to have gone in the opposite directions. Are people really so ADD now that they have to see every score to every game at all times? Those tickers really are distracting and make broadcasts look cheap.

The NFL on Fox's new 10% of the screen always-on bright colors ticker is the worst offender of all. :nono2:

#30 OFFLINE   1dersky

1dersky

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

Well it's on 771-1.

Oh my GOD.

Complete abortion of a broadcast. SD stretch vision that appears to be a simulcast of the luxury box feed.

Shoot me now.

#31 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

When they originally went from both games to just one, lots of callers into Bettman complained. His answer was that their studies showed more people wanted to watch NHL Live than the second game (which was available on a CI channel).

My studies showed that NHL leadership has no frickin idea what fans want.

#32 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

And that was/is my thought. However when we discussed this here two years ago, there were a number of members here who stated they'd rather watch NHL Live to keep up on all the games on a Saturday night. Personally, Fri & Sat are the only two nights I can watch the west-coast games, so I'd much rather have live games than a show I'll be able to watch multiple times on Sunday before noon.

#33 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

And that was/is my thought. However when we discussed this here two years ago, there were a number of members here who stated they'd rather watch NHL Live to keep up on all the games on a Saturday night. Personally, Fri & Sat are the only two nights I can watch the west-coast games, so I'd much rather have live games than a show I'll be able to watch multiple times on Sunday before noon.

I remember that as well. I have no doubt that the the majority of NHL fans are in the central and eastern time zones, but for us out West the second game is 7:00PM Prime Time on Saturday. While there could be an argument for folks preferring On The Fly highlights at 10:00 in the East, for us, losing the second game was especially tough.
TOTAL CHOICE Plus - HR22-100 , HR23-700
Sunday Ticket - Super Fan | MLB Extra Innings | NHL Center Ice | NBA League Pass

#34 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:41 AM

I tried watching some of the Columbus game last night and the picture was stretched. Not true HD

#35 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

OK, this is really getting screwy. Looking at the CI listings, I see...TWO Canadian HD feeds tonight? Flames/Habs AND Jets/Hawks? And what happened to the Canucks/Red Wings game? It was listed last night, but it isn't there now. And I don't see an HD feed for the Jackets/Stars game Saturday, even though FS Ohio has it in HD. And why is the second half of the HNIC doubleheader on Saturday shown to be in HD, but not the first half? I don't know how much of this can be trusted. You'd think someone there knows what they're doing by now.

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

OK, this is really getting screwy. Looking at the CI listings, I see...TWO Canadian HD feeds tonight? Flames/Habs AND Jets/Hawks? And what happened to the Canucks/Red Wings game? It was listed last night, but it isn't there now. And I don't see an HD feed for the Jackets/Stars game Saturday, even though FS Ohio has it in HD. And why is the second half of the HNIC doubleheader on Saturday shown to be in HD, but not the first half? I don't know how much of this can be trusted. You'd think someone there knows what they're doing by now.

Jets/Hawks likely is CSN Chicago
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

Canadian HD feeds have been showing up in the online and on screen guides on a regular basis but by game time they are gone. This is poor, very poor. Why put them in if they aren't going to be shown?

#38 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Calgary/Toronto is listed in HD.

#39 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

Calgary/Toronto is listed in HD.

I know it is....but don't expect to see it by the time the puck drops.... I hope I'm wrong but....

#40 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

I know it is....but don't expect to see it by the time the puck drops.... I hope I'm wrong but....

Toronto is the only Canadian HD we get from Rogers. The equipment is already in place to get the Blue Jays games for Extra Innings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...