Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate DVR"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Last month, TiVo announced the release of the TiVo Premiere Elite, a 4 tuner DVR for digital cable or FIOS. Today, I received an email from Weaknees announcing its availability. The new box discards analog cable capability and antenna inputs, meaning it is compatible only with FIOS or digital cable. I has a 2 TB internal hard drive and also accepts an external expansion drive. A multistream cablecard is required. More details are at http://www.tivo.com/...lite/index.html

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,902 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

No more stupid tuning adapters?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

No more stupid tuning adapters?

Good question, but I'd guess that they are still required for switched digital video. I didn't see anything in the unit's description that says SDV is handled by the box. :(
Since the specs state TiVo Series 4 architecture, I'd venture to say the adapter is still required

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Wonder if this boxes HD menu's are finished...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

it still doesn't match the capabilites of windows media center, although the tivo is less expensive to get started with.

#6 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Works with cable. Does not work with satellite.

Oh well. :nono2:

With the thread's title I was thinking about Godzilla.

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

it still doesn't match the capabilites of windows media center, although the tivo is less expensive to get started with.

Each has its merits. Media Center works only with analog and unencrypted digital TV (dependent upon a tuner card), and of course, with only one channel at a time. It does offer FM radio, slide shows, and a few other things not available on TiVo. Further, TiVo does require a subscription in addition to cable service, a CableCard and SDV adapter. The Premiere series of TiVo boxes offer capacity for Hulu2, Amazon and Netflix streaming services, access to a myriad of podcasts, Rhapsody (fee), Pandora (free) YouTube and more.
I have the low end Premiere with external 1 TB drive in my bedroom and am quite happy with it. Would I like the new model? Sure, but not for $499 plus the cost of a lifetime subscription. :eek2:

Charlie
--------------------

#8 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Each has its merits. Media Center works only with analog and unencrypted digital TV (dependent upon a tuner card), and of course, with only one channel at a time.

Media Center can record 8 channels of each type at once (4 out of the box, 8 with a free plugin); so 8 HD encrypted channels, 8 HD clear QAM channels, 8 HD ATSC channels, 8 NTSC channels; so 32 simulataneous recordings. Although that would take an enormously powerful computer. But you could easily do 8 HD cable channels at once.

They have cards for all types of signals, including HD capture cards for use with Dish and Direct.

And storage is endless. It also holds a massive movie library and a netflix plugin.

You can also run media center within the xbox 360, so instead of buying more computers (or tivo's), use the xbox. The xbox is the best way to use it, i think. it has a better netflix plugin, plus hulu and zune.

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

Media Center can record 8 channels of each type at once (4 out of the box, 8 with a free plugin); so 8 HD encrypted channels, 8 HD clear QAM channels, 8 HD ATSC channels, 8 NTSC channels; so 32 simulataneous recordings. Although that would take an enormously powerful computer. But you could easily do 8 HD cable channels at once.

Granted, in theory this is possible. However, I'm not aware of any PC motherboards that would support even 4 2 channel tuner cards in addition to other PCI Express cards. Further, simultaneous recording of even four HD signals would tax the system. As to better Netflix and Hulu capacity, that ould not surprise me. For live streaming, TiVo's Netflix app is not as good as you can get with today's internet ready TV's or Blu-ray players.

Charlie
--------------------

#10 OFFLINE   schampio

schampio

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

Its great to see them getting serious about putting more than 2 tuners and a puny 1TB drive in a dvr at last. Wonder how long before you can upgrade to a 3Tb drive.

#11 OFFLINE   schampio

schampio

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

(filling out my required 4 posts to pm - mea culpa)

And having accessibility from the Tivo Preview is great too. But it still needs to able to remotely schedule from other connected Previews and Premieres.

#12 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

Granted, in theory this is possible. However, I'm not aware of any PC motherboards that would support even 4 2 channel tuner cards in addition to other PCI Express cards..

you can now buy pci express and usb quad-tuners for digital cable from ceton. i haven't seen any quad atsc tuners yet (plenty of dual tuners available). users @ TGB forums report using two quad tuners to record 8 simultaneous digital cable streams. you can also buy network-based cable tuners; silicondust makes a dual-tuner for atsc and clear qam, and just introduced a 3-tuner model for cablecard use. i've also seen pci-express dvb-s and dvb-s2 quad tuners from tbs.

Further, simultaneous recording of even four HD signals would tax the system...

i'm recording 4 HD channels right now on a core2duo w/ 4GB of ram, and its not batting an eye. the encoders are built into the tuner cards, requiring very little CPU.

#13 OFFLINE   jchambers2586

jchambers2586

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Here is a 6 tuner PC tuner card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815345009

spam firewall