Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,643 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

This is the official issues/discussion thread for the initial release of nomad.

PC version 1.01.40 download link
iOS version 1.0 download link

nomad™ First Look

nomad™ Manual
nomad™ Quick Start Guide

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 09 October 2011 - 10:19 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

2. It would be nice if the apps would have an "On Nomad" tab which lists the prepared shows. As it is now, you can click on a show that was already prepared for another device and download it from the Nomad but there is no way to see all of the previously prepared shows.

When you're in DVR playlist view, select "Filters", "Ready for Download". That should show you all files on the Nomad ready to copy that have not yet been downloaded to your client device.

Edited by Steve, 09 October 2011 - 11:06 AM.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Running the 1.0 PC client under Windows XP (laptop). Was working fine yesterday. Today, I get an "account activation" error screen when I try to start it up. Tried "re-try" and "restart", but neither worked.

EDITED TO ADD: Just fired up my Windows 7 client (desktop PC), and the started-up as expected.

Edited by Steve, 09 October 2011 - 11:04 AM.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

When you're in DVR playlist view, select "Filters", "Ready for Download". That should show you all files on the Nomad ready to copy not yet downloaded to your client device.

Do you mean it should immediately show such a list when you select the Ready option in the dialog rather than pressing Done to get to the list?
If that isn't doable for some reason, and two button presses are needed, changing the Done button to "Select" would be more intuitive.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

When you select a program to move onto the iPad, it correctly shows a message, "Preparing". But that page is usually dismissed quickly as one goes to look for others to d/l. So, I am suggesting that the dialog box at the bottom of the main page of both the DVR and iPad be changed from just "Downloading" to "Downloading/Preparing". That should obviate a bunch of questions from newbies.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Do you mean it should immediately show such a list when you select the Ready option in the dialog rather than pressing Done to get to the list?
If that isn't doable for some reason, and two button presses are needed, changing the Done button to "Select" would be more intuitive.

Correct. On the iOS client, you have to press "Done" to activate the selected filter. On the PC client, just selecting the filter is enough.
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   mikeharden

mikeharden

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Just ordered Nomad and I am pleading that a WP7 (Windows Phone 7) App is made. I love the WP7 Directv App for telling my receivers to record, now we need a WP7 app for Nomad. There are some that do not like or use iPhone.... :)

Edited by mikeharden, 09 October 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Just ordered Nomad and I am pleading that a WP7 (Windows Phone 7) App is made. I love the WP7 Directv App for telling my receivers to record, now we need a WP7. There are some that do not like or use iPhone.... :)

+1. Loving my Samsung Focus

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,912 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Just ordered Nomad and I am pleading that a WP7 (Windows Phone 7) App is made. I love the WP7 Directv App for telling my receivers to record, now we need a WP7. There are some that do not like or use iPhone.... :)

Likewise, clients for Android and OS X are needed.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Clients for Android and MAC are listed as "coming soon" on the DirecTV website.

I have not read anywhere anything about WebOS or Windows Phone 7 being supported.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Forgot to mention, I dropped an email to DirecTV, and they sent me the nomad FedEx tracking number. Not sure why they make it so hard. FedEx shows 2nd day service from Atlanta.

Setup

Ken

#12 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Those are being worked on, according to the Nomad page.

I have noticed a couple of issues with the iPhone client (running on an iPad 1 with iOS 4.3.5):

I have 3 DVRs and a long playlist (over 100 titles). One DVR in particular has a very long list. To make scrolling easier, I sometimes "hide" that DVR. When I do, it's playlist sometimes is hidden, sometimes not. When it is not, trying to select a program on the "hidden" DVR instantly updates the playlist correctly.

When I try to "enable" a hidden DVR, it's playlist is usually not added to the Nomad app unless I exit the app and restart it.

This is after waiting for the "loading" to complete.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#13 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Mine came via FedEx on Saturday. I'm running both the PC and iOS client on Windows 7 x64 and an iPod Touch 32GB respectively. Both seem be working fine.

Does anyone know if the clients need to be up and running the whole time for the "preparing" step? I'm hoping you can kick off a bunch of jobs to prepare/transcode, put your PC to sleep or exit out of the iOS app and then come back later to do the download.

#14 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Running the 1.0 PC client under Windows XP (laptop). Was working fine yesterday. Today, I get an "account activation" error screen when I try to start it up. Tried "re-try" and "restart", but neither worked.

EDITED TO ADD: Just fired up my Windows 7 client (desktop PC), and the started-up as expected.

This happened to me also on a Win 7 laptop. Uninstalling and reinstalling the software fixed the issue for me.

#15 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Mine came via FedEx on Saturday. I'm running both the PC and iOS client on Windows 7 x64 and an iPod Touch 32GB respectively. Both seem be working fine.

Does anyone know if the clients need to be up and running the whole time for the "preparing" step? I'm hoping you can kick off a bunch of jobs to prepare/transcode, put your PC to sleep or exit out of the iOS app and then come back later to do the download.

Client does not need to be up for preparing stage, only downloading stage.

#16 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,029 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

IOS 4.3.5
Nomad

Unable to activate iOS Device

I have spent the last 2 hours trying to activate a iOS device with Nomad. I have spent the last hour (maybe even 2) on the phone with DirecTV who can nto seem to figure it out either.

Configuration:

1) Nomad is plugged directly into the router
2) Nomad updated it's firmware yesterday and ALL lights are SOLID BLUE
3) The connection light on the back is BLINKING GREEN

I have installed the lastest iOS app from Apple Store
I have logged into DirecTV.COM from the device
I have received a message informing me that my device has not yet been activated and that I have 5 available licenses

After pressing Activate iOS device, I wait about 10 minutes and then I am presented with an error message 'Activation Failed' and that I am missing one or more system requirements with an error code of AR/1001 in the bottom right hand corner.

What I have done so far:

1) I have double checked that the nomad is connected correctly to the router
2) I have confirmed that all of the HD DVR's are visible on the network
3) I have verified that the Nomad is visible on the network
4) I have verified that the iOS device is visible on the network
5) I have performed both types of reset (3 second and 30 second RBR) on the Nomad
6) I have re-installed the iOS app.
7) I have verified that NOMAD Service is active on my DirecTV account
8) I have changed out the ethernet cable
9) I have moved the Nomad to different ports on the router

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Clients don't have to be up but you may have to restart downloading of the selected programs.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

By any chance is there an apostrophe in your device's name? If so, change the name slightly, omitting everything but characters and numbers.

In the folder that holds apps for iDevices, what version number(s) are present? Look under both Nomad and DIRECTV nomad.

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,029 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

By any chance is there an apostrophe in your device's name? If so, change the name slightly, omitting everything but characters and numbers.

removed any space and dashes - now using the following names

IPHONE4
IPODTOUCH

Still no luck :(

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

removed any space and dashes - now using the following names

IPHONE4
IPODTOUCH

Still no luck :(

Dang! One more little thing occurred to me: When registering hit Done, not Sign In.(or whatever the language)... hoping.....

spam firewall