Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,192 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

I've had duplicate shows NOT show up in folders and you currently can't tell which dvr the show came from. So you have a 50/50 (or less if more duplicates) chance of deleting the one that's been transcoded.

And another oddity - probably guide data problems, the Ken Burns 'Prohibition' series created a folder for 2 episodes but two others were individual programs (sorted by episode name). The DVR playlist has them all in a folder.

Edited by dennisj00, 15 October 2011 - 12:35 PM.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Yes, as Dennis mentions, there were problems specifically with "Prohibition" (the show, not the act!....although....)
Probably some glitch in the tagging; you found the solution!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#183 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Got to my hotel and tried out nomad from my iPad with Apple TV and Component cables. Apple TV gave me sound but no picture. Component seems to work OK, but a little glitchy. I'm running IOS 5.

Overall video quality is less than I expected. I didn't expect DVD quality, but it could be better given the originals are in HD. My DVD recordings from composite output are much better, even after converting the video for my iPad.

Convenience is great. Auto conversion and download is much better than my manual DVD recording and conversion process. The UI is still iPhone, so I expect better when the new iPad client is available.

The other key difference is the captions. When I record to DVD, I can turn on the DVR captions, and they show in my recordings. So far nomad doesn't have captions. I know it's just the 1.0 release, so maybe they will add this in the future.

Setup

Ken

#184 OFFLINE   dengland

dengland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Overall video quality is less than I expected. I didn't expect DVD quality, but it could be better given the originals are in HD. My DVD recordings from composite output are much better, even after converting the video for my iPad.

What is the resolution transferred to the iDevice?

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

#185 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

What is the resolution transferred to the iDevice?

Per an earlier thread:
...it is a 720x480 encode. The best estimation is 680MB/hour, so that ends up at about 1.5Mbit/sec.

http://www.dbstalk.c...942#post2873942

Quality on the iPad is fine. I watched it on the plane with no issues. My complaint was on the TV at the hotel. It's still watchable, but compressed.

Setup

Ken

#186 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Another thing I noticed was the volume is pretty low on the recordings. I've watched four shows, and with all of them I had to turn up the volume on the TV near the loudest it can go. Am I just unlucky, or has anyone else noticed it?

Setup

Ken

#187 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

Had my first glitch with a recording. The audio is out of sync with the video for the last half of a movie. The first half was fine. I tried rebooting my iPad, but it didn't help.

Setup

Ken

#188 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

I think I found the problem. The three programs were really two shows. Both shows were set to Auto. I turned off Auto, and I was able to load the programs manually. One of the programs had the exact same recording of the same show. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I reread this, and it was not very clear. The same program was recorded on two DVR's at the same time. That's the program that would not process. I manually selected one of the two recordings, and it was fine.

Setup

Ken

#189 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

Had my first glitch with a recording. The audio is out of sync with the video for the last half of a movie. The first half was fine. I tried rebooting my iPad, but it didn't help.

We've had that off and on, and I tried feebly to see if there were any common traits of those shows where there were issues, and those where there weren't.... so far, nada.

Sometimes, it turned out that the original had sync problems, too, but not that often.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#190 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Another thing I noticed was the volume is pretty low on the recordings. I've watched four shows, and with all of them I had to turn up the volume on the TV near the loudest it can go. Am I just unlucky, or has anyone else noticed it?

I've noticed the low volume on my iPad when trying it out in-flight using headphones. Wonder if this can be corrected in the future?

#191 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

I've noticed the low volume on my iPad when trying it out in-flight using headphones. Wonder if this can be corrected in the future?

I picked up one of these long ago:
http://boostaroo.com...d=17550&cat=249

If I didn't have it, I would not have been able to use nomad on my iPad on the plane. Noise canceling was not enough.

Setup

Ken

#192 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

I picked up one of these long ago:
http://boostaroo.com...d=17550&cat=249

If I didn't have it, I would not have been able to use nomad on my iPad on the plane. Noise canceling was not enough.

I don't think it's the actual headphones or device itself, because other things I have downloaded on my iPad (podcasts, apps, etc) have enough volume.

But I might grab one of those anyway...thanks for sharing.

#193 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

Some folks had issues with this model, but it's been solid for me. Even if the volume is fine, it helps with battery life on those long international flights.

Setup

Ken

#194 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

In-flight headphones are notorious for having terrible amplification. Get a set of real headphones and your problem is very likely to go away. I mean you can try the Boostaroo, but with decent headphones it will likely not be required.

I find most aircraft headphones are nearly useless with my laptop or iPod, yet my Apple earbuds, Bose noise canceling, and whatever other branded things I've ever borrowed work just fine.

#195 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

In-flight headphones are notorious for having terrible amplification. Get a set of real headphones and your problem is very likely to go away. I mean you can try the Boostaroo, but with decent headphones it will likely not be required.

I find most aircraft headphones are nearly useless with my laptop or iPod, yet my Apple earbuds, Bose noise canceling, and whatever other branded things I've ever borrowed work just fine.

I'm not sure about Justin, but I'm using Sennheiser noise canceling headphones. Still the volume of nomad recordings is very low. Even with Boostaroo, I had the iPad, and the headphones near the highest possible volume.

Setup

Ken

#196 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure about Justin, but I'm using Sennheiser noise canceling headphones. Still the volume of nomad recordings is very low. Even with Boostaroo, I had the iPad, and the headphones near the highest possible volume.

I use Bose in-ear (regular, not noise-canceling). I ordered a Boostaroo and hopefully it will improve the volume level. I think it's the nomad software though, because like I said plenty of other podcasts, videos, and apps have decent volume.

#197 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading the USB drive in my nomad. I installed an 8 GB stick, and I'm feeling that may not be big enough. Has anyone done this? Do you just pull the old one?

Setup

Ken

#198 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

I have used Bose QC15's with great success on many cross country trips. Yes I know pricey but terrific.

#199 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

I use Bose in-ear (regular, not noise-canceling). I ordered a Boostaroo and hopefully it will improve the volume level. I think it's the nomad software though, because like I said plenty of other podcasts, videos, and apps have decent volume.

Yes, I missed your follow-on post before posting mine. Honestly, I'm guessing the amp will work. But you are solving a problem their software ought to fix in a future revision. There is no reason volume should be low across the board. Yet it appears to be. :(

#200 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

I don't know where else to post those but since installing nomad my two HR22s are extremely slow not just from iPad directv app but using the physical remote as well to pull up. The guide and recording list.

spam firewall