Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading the USB drive in my nomad. I installed an 8 GB stick, and I'm feeling that may not be big enough. Has anyone done this? Do you just pull the old one?

I added a 32GB USB Flash Drive and it works fine. More info here ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197817
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

Had my first glitch with a recording. The audio is out of sync with the video for the last half of a movie. The first half was fine. I tried rebooting my iPad, but it didn't help.

i've got an iPad 1 running version 4.3.3.

watched a couple of shows taped off the local NBC affiliate on sunday (the chris matthews show and meet the press) and didn't notice any issues.

went to watch a couple of movies tonight, to live and die in l.a. (taped off showtime extreme) and 13 rue madeleine (from 5 star cinemax). the audio for to live and die in l.a. was seriously delayed pretty much from the beginning, whereas 13 rue madeleine was fine for the first 30-40 minutes before starting to slip and then getting progressively worse the rest of the way.

#203 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:20 AM

64 GB iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0 (9A334)

Whenever I launch the nomad app, it loads and when I press the Activate This iOS Device, the app starts, and I see the D* logo and the spinning indicator, but then it quits and exits out to the Home page.

Anyone else having this problem...?

No problems with the app on Win7 or my iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

#204 OFFLINE   pooch215

pooch215

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

So i have two problems that i need help with. I have a program that seems to have failed to convert correctly. It's a hour long program that converted to 7 hours, and at 50 minutes it just goes wonky. Audio doesn't match, video stops playing, etc. Is there a way to delete and reenocode.
Second problem is I recorded a football game this weekend. Set the recording to 4 1/2 hours in case of overage. I tries to download to my iphone and looks to complete the transfer, but the program never shows up on the phone. How do i troubleshoot?

#205 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

To quote Gilda Radner, "Nevermind..."

Figures, simply deleted the app, reinstalled the app, all's fine...

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

#206 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

I added a 32GB USB Flash Drive and it works fine. More info here ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197817

I didn't see any posts in that thread where someone had removed a drive.

Setup

Ken

#207 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

So i have two problems that i need help with. I have a program that seems to have failed to convert correctly. It's a hour long program that converted to 7 hours, and at 50 minutes it just goes wonky. Audio doesn't match, video stops playing, etc. Is there a way to delete and reenocode.
Second problem is I recorded a football game this weekend. Set the recording to 4 1/2 hours in case of overage. I tries to download to my iphone and looks to complete the transfer, but the program never shows up on the phone. How do i troubleshoot?

What iOS and device?

What program? Where does it indicate 7 hours? Does it play all right on the DVR?

As to FB game- does it show it's been fully transcoded? Does it offer to play while downloading?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#208 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,648 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

I would just power down nomad, pull the stick and repower. Do the same on adding the next stick and the client should ask about formatting it.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#209 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

I think you simply ....
  • Power down the Nomad
  • Remote the old external USB drive
  • Power up the Nomad
  • Wait for the front lights to stabilize
  • Launch a client (iPad, PC)
  • Connect the new USB drive
  • Select "format" when the prompt pops up on the client

Realize that any prepared recordings that were stored on the old drive will now be gone.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#210 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,648 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

Currently, there is no file management of nomad and I assume it's a first in, first out when space is needed.

A long (either 2 or 3 minutes) reset should clear nomad of everything.

And I think I've seen some problems with programs over 4 hours. You may try a short reset before clearing everything.

#211 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

For the audio issue, I've not seen or heard of any way to force a reencode. Maybe a reset that wipes everything is the only option? Will that mess up the Activation? I've had the same problem with a program this week. It's really irritating when your on the road. Did you try to reboot and start from where you left off?

For the missing program, I'd suggest trying another device, like a PC. There is no log on the i-Devices, and the nomad log you can get on the PC is not human readable.

Setup

Ken

#212 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I think you simply ....

• Power down the Nomad
  • Remote the old external USB drive
  • Power up the Nomad
  • Wait for the front lights to stabilize
  • Launch a client (iPad, PC)
  • Connect the new USB drive
  • Select "format" when the prompt pops up on the client

Realize that any prepared recordings that were stored on the old drive will now be gone.

I'm guessing the specific programs that are lost are random, but that's not a huge problem. I just have to make that the last thing I do before I head out the door for my next trip.

Setup

Ken

#213 OFFLINE   Herbie

Herbie

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

So I seem to be having some repeating errors with the Windows Client.

I previously had the 2-0-2 "Something is wrong with your account" error and after a lengthy tech support call involving uninstalling and reinstalling the PC client things were working again.... until I actually took the PC on a trip.

Then it failed AGAIN in the field, couldn't watch the sideloaded content (luckily had some other digital content on the laptop or my 2-year-old would have melted down).

Back home trying to diagnose the issue I'm now getting code 2-4-2. Oddly it seems to be "intermittent", and not just a matter of lost/corrupted data, as it worked on one out of five attempts this AM.

I will try another uninstall/reinstall, but since that process requires re-initialization with the Nomad hardware, it isn't a practical approach for a "field fix" if things break while away from home again.

Any other ideas on how to nail down this issue?

On the first uninstall (while on with tech support), it did report that it couldn't find a particular file (didn't write down name but was an .xml file with "user config" or something like that in the title), seems like a good candidate as the culprit if this file gets lost, corrupted, or remains access locked incorrectly after the client exits or something. I'll nail it down on the next uninstall/reinstall when I get home tonight.

Edited by Herbie, 18 October 2011 - 10:21 AM.
EDITED to add: PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit)

#214 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

On the first uninstall (while on with tech support), it did report that it couldn't find a particular file (didn't write down name but was an .xml file with "user config" or something like that in the title), seems like a good candidate as the culprit if this file gets lost, corrupted, or remains access locked incorrectly after the client exits or something. I'll nail it down on the next uninstall/reinstall when I get home tonight.

I do see a user.config file stored in: \AppData\Local\DIRECTV\DIRECTVnomad.exe_Url_...\1.0.1.40

Setup

Ken

#215 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Nomad PC version appears to stop transcoding if you haven't downloaded in a while. In other words, if you queue up 50 programs to prepare and download then shut the client down, at some point, Nomad "gives up" and just waits until you start up the client and start downloading the already prepared programs again. Doesn't seem to be a matter of free space since I have 130GB free. It seems like 5 or 10 programs queue up to download and then Nomad just sits there with however many left in the queue to prepare. Anyone else see this behavior?

I really thought Nomad would continue on and prepare all of the programs in the background without having the need to have the client up and running but that doesn't appear to work.

#216 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Sorry, I haven't been close to that volume- probably have no more than 50 unwatched, including saved- about 12 movies- on each DVR.
Is this a limitation by nomad, or the PC client?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#217 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I haven't run into this yet, but sounds like something I will run into.

I would love it if DirecTV would just give us an option to set Nomad up to just automatically transcode everything stored on our DVRs. I realize that not everyone will need it, but it would be really nice for those of us willing to put big external drives on ours to do this.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#218 OFFLINE   pooch215

pooch215

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

What iOS and device?

What program? Where does it indicate 7 hours? Does it play all right on the DVR?

As to FB game- does it show it's been fully transcoded? Does it offer to play while downloading?

I am running IOS5 on iPhone 4.

So for the 1hour show, it was Secrets of Seal Team 6. On both the phone and windows app it shows the same behavior where the show it over 7 hours long, and it stops at 49:12. When playing on the DVR, the DVR gives an error "All or Part of this program did not record dur to lost satellite signal", though it does play the entire show.

For the football game, it downloads fine to the windows app and runs. On the iphone app I am given the option to play while it is downloading, and it does "stream" while it is downloading. However, once it finishes downloading, I never see it to be able to play it.

I will try reset and encoding over again tonight and update tomorrow.

#219 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,648 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I haven't run into this yet, but sounds like something I will run into.

I would love it if DirecTV would just give us an option to set Nomad up to just automatically transcode everything stored on our DVRs. I realize that not everyone will need it, but it would be really nice for those of us willing to put big external drives on ours to do this.

Just set everything to Auto-Download on a client with lots of space.

#220 OFFLINE   AndrewSi

AndrewSi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

I don't know where else to post those but since installing nomad my two HR22s are extremely slow not just from iPad directv app but using the physical remote as well to pull up. The guide and recording list.

Nobody seems to have responded, but yes, I'm definitely seeing slow responsiveness on my HR21's since setting up the Nomad. That's pretty annoying.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...