Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Nobody seems to have responded, but yes, I'm definitely seeing slow responsiveness on my HR21's since setting up the Nomad. That's pretty annoying.

I had an HR21 connected and didn't experience that. Perhaps you can disconnect the Nomad from your router and see if the HR21 is the same with and without the Nomad box connected.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

So I seem to be having some repeating errors with the Windows Client.

I previously had the 2-0-2 "Something is wrong with your account" error and after a lengthy tech support call involving uninstalling and reinstalling the PC client things were working again.... until I actually took the PC on a trip.

Then it failed AGAIN in the field, couldn't watch the sideloaded content (luckily had some other digital content on the laptop or my 2-year-old would have melted down).

Back home trying to diagnose the issue I'm now getting code 2-4-2. Oddly it seems to be "intermittent", and not just a matter of lost/corrupted data, as it worked on one out of five attempts this AM.

I will try another uninstall/reinstall, but since that process requires re-initialization with the Nomad hardware, it isn't a practical approach for a "field fix" if things break while away from home again.

Any other ideas on how to nail down this issue?

On the first uninstall (while on with tech support), it did report that it couldn't find a particular file (didn't write down name but was an .xml file with "user config" or something like that in the title), seems like a good candidate as the culprit if this file gets lost, corrupted, or remains access locked incorrectly after the client exits or something. I'll nail it down on the next uninstall/reinstall when I get home tonight.

First, WELCOME to dbstalk.

I did experience something similar once that the uninstaller and installer couldn't find a particular .msi file. Drove me crazy. Finally I went into the registry and manually deleted every instance of Directv Nomad there. Some bad install caused something.

Before you do this, be sure you know what you are doing. Nomad as a name is used by other companies. For example you might come across NomadBranch or NomadSMS, they are not Directv Nomad files.

Once I did that and reinstalled, all was good.

So if you choose this method, be aware of the risks, and backup your registry first. If this is all new to you, don't do it. Find a knowledgable PC person that can tackle it. And good luck.

#223 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

Nobody seems to have responded, but yes, I'm definitely seeing slow responsiveness on my HR21's since setting up the Nomad. That's pretty annoying.

We have 2 HR22s and 5 other hd receivers I have the whole home though wired Ethernet. I also use the iPad app and all receivers are connected with static IPs on my LAN and everything was zippy per say for directv. But now it's all come to a grinding hault after adding Nomad, I asked my mother and she said her HR dramatically slowed down too. The iPad app is faster than the physical remote but theyre both terrible slow I'm about to call up and bitch and I don't normally do that kind of stuff but paying $150 to slow down the whole system I guess?

#224 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

anybody had any issues with using nomad to put sporting events on their devices? i dvr'd the rangers - canucks game last night and it wouldn't complete the preparing / download process.

a few questions / theories:

- i'm not an nhl center ice subscriber. the game is part of the free preview going on until the 24th. is it possible that the nomad is doing some sort of authorization check and, seeing that i'm not a subscriber, not allowing me to put the game on my ipad?

- i know it's been mentioned before that nomad doesn't allow the transfer of pay per views. does directv categorize all sports subscriptions as pay-per-view, and therefore any sporting event recorded from mlb extra innings, nfl sunday ticket, nhl center ice, etc. cannot be moved onto your device of choice?

- is this prohibition just for sporting events shown on seasonal subscriptions, or is it league / sport-wide? as an example, should i be able to record and transfer hockey games recorded off of nbc, nhl network, versus, fox sports west / prime ticket, etc., or does directv's deal with the nhl preclude any games from being transferred?

#225 OFFLINE   tcrabtree

tcrabtree

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

When my HR21P was recording 2 programs and downloading 2 streams to Nomad to a PC and iPad, I could not play recorded programs on my HR21P. It just displayed black where the picture would be. The timeline progressed but no picture. While watching live tv on one of the currently recording channels, I could not rewind live tv. Again the timeline moved but the picture was a still shot of the last frame before rewinding. When downloading a single stream to the Nomad, the HR21P behaves normally. (Note: My HR21P was hacked by DirecTv to make the device appear as a HR21 for testing as Nomad does not yet work with HR21P. We have since changed it back to HR21P and the Nomad no longer works.) Does anyone with a normal HR21 experience the recorded show playback showing a black screen when 2 streams are going to Nomad while 2 programs are being recorded? Does the Nomad typically allow two programs to be transcoded at the same time, one on the iPad and one on the PC or is it supposed to queue them and do one at a time?

#226 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

In my experience with nomad, it only transcodes one program at a time from a DVR - when it's available. If someone wants to MRV a program from that DVR, nomad will bow out and start over when the DVR is available again. All other transcode requests are queued.

Not sure how your're seeing 2 streams transcoding or how the 21 was 'hacked' by DirecTV.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#227 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

When my HR21P was recording 2 programs and downloading 2 streams to Nomad to a PC and iPad, I could not play recorded programs on my HR21P. It just displayed black where the picture would be. The timeline progressed but no picture. While watching live tv on one of the currently recording channels, I could not rewind live tv. Again the timeline moved but the picture was a still shot of the last frame before rewinding. When downloading a single stream to the Nomad, the HR21P behaves normally. (Note: My HR21P was hacked by DirecTv to make the device appear as a HR21 for testing as Nomad does not yet work with HR21P. We have since changed it back to HR21P and the Nomad no longer works.) Does anyone with a normal HR21 experience the recorded show playback showing a black screen when 2 streams are going to Nomad while 2 programs are being recorded? Does the Nomad typically allow two programs to be transcoded at the same time, one on the iPad and one on the PC or is it supposed to queue them and do one at a time?

The transcoding takes place on the nomad black box, not on the viewing devices, and it's sequential. I've read of problems if two devices are trying to do things at once.

Playing a show on the DVR while being transcoded is a no-no, so I've read, also.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#228 OFFLINE   tcrabtree

tcrabtree

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

In my experience with nomad, it only transcodes one program at a time from a DVR - when it's available. If someone wants to MRV a program from that DVR, nomad will bow out and start over when the DVR is available again. All other transcode requests are queued.

Not sure how your're seeing 2 streams transcoding or how the 21 was 'hacked' by DirecTV.

I am not certain about both my iPad and my PC downloading programs from the Nomad at the same time. Each was showing a progress bar. It is possible that they went one at a time while we focused on testing the HR21P. I say that DirecTv "hacked" the 21 because that is what DirectTv and I decided to do. They changed my receiver in thier local account database from an HR21P to an HR21. I call it a "hack" because the person that did it became unavailable an knowone knew how to switch it back and had never seen it done before. It took days to switch it back while they tracked down the original support persons secret technique.

#229 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

I am not certain about both my iPad and my PC downloading programs from the Nomad at the same time. Each was showing a progress bar. It is possible that they went one at a time while we focused on testing the HR21P. I say that DirecTv "hacked" the 21 because that is what DirectTv and I decided to do. They changed my receiver in thier local account database from an HR21P to an HR21. I call it a "hack" because the person that did it became unavailable an knowone knew how to switch it back and had never seen it done before. It took days to switch it back while they tracked down the original support persons secret technique.

Still don't know from this description what's going on, but typically nomad will 'transcode' one program at a time when it's available on a non-busy DVR.

It can download simultaneously one or more programs (already transcoded and 'Ready to Download') to different clients at the same time - although more slowly on the downloads that are happening simultaneously.

I haven't tried how many that will support. But I have had two or three going at the same time.

Edited by dennisj00, 20 October 2011 - 04:01 PM.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#230 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

I've given this stuff some time and I am more confused about this than ever. Last week, I had set up People's Court, Tom and Jerry and CSI to auto download series. I was able to transfer a few shows to my wife's phone and left it at that. Today, I un-jailbreak my phone and install the app. It's now been 7 hours and I have nothing on the phone. I fire up the PC app and it is downloading 5 of 16. None of the auto-series are saved to Nomad, everything needs to be transcoded.

Am I required to have a device open at all times to enforce the auto downloads? It seems nothing is coming across unless a client is active. Is there anything I can do on my phone to tell Nomad to stop transcoding and start sending me something?

Is each client able to select its own programming or does the Nomad playlist go to each device? For example...I'd want People's Court on her phone, Tom and Jerry on the laptop and CSI on my phone. I don't want them all on every device. Is that the way it is supposed to work?

Edited by MikeW, 20 October 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#231 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

As far as I can tell it will only auto download to the devices you have it set to auto download to. And it only downloads to those devices while the Nomad app is running on the screen.

As far as getting the stuff to transcode I still haven't quite figured that out. I'm beginning to wonder if you don't have to leave them set to auto download on something in order for them to keep transcoding. I've had some programs that I originally set up to auto download that I then went through and deleted them from auto download on that device later. It seems that after I deleted the program from auto download it also stopped automatically transcoding.

I should have got my external drive today to hook up to my Nomad. I'll try messing with some settings tonight and see if I can figure this thing out. I really just want my Nomad set up to just automatically transcode anything I record. I don't want it trying to automatically send the file to any of my devices though. I guess if I have to I can always install the app on my computer and just let it automatically copy everything over to it. I really hate to waste the hard drive space on it though just to get my Nomad to work the way I want it to (and the way I think many people will want it to).

I just want a simple setting somewhere I can set to have the Nomad automatically transcode anything I record. Or maybe like someone else mentioned, have 2 seperate options for each show, one to auto transcode the show, and one to auto transfer the show. So if I want a show to always auto transfer to my iPad I can set it up that way, but if I want another show just to be available to transfer to my iPhone if I need to and have free space (sometimes my iPhone is full) then I can do that too.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#232 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

Each device can have its own material. ---- edit.... I see Beerstalker has replied while I was starting out.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#233 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thought I'd give an update. I came home from my trip and fired up the nomad client on my iPad, and just like that a bunch of shows downloaded. No issues at all. I have to give nomad a 10 on convenience.

Setup

Ken

#234 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

My first attempt was the Raiders-Browns game. But when I tried to play it, it the audio seemed fine, but the video was frozen. And I also noticed that the 3 hr record displayed as if it was a 6:30 hr recording.

My second attempt was a 1 hr show, Falling Skies and it was fine.

We need a forward advance or skip ahead button! :D

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

#235 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Sorry if this has been covered already - haven't had time to go through the whole thread.

I'm disappointed in the picture quality for watching full screen on a laptop, my primary intended use of nomad.

I know there may need to be some compromise in file size vs. picture quality and it may be fine for phones and iPads.

I'd like to see a control setting or option that would allow selection of higher picture quality at the expense of file size and/or preparation time if needed.

#236 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'd like to see a control setting or option that would allow selection of higher picture quality at the expense of file size and/or preparation time if needed.

Seems like a reasonable option request to me. There's no doubt viewing quality suffers when you go bigger than tablet-sized output.
/steve

#237 OFFLINE   NuklearNik

NuklearNik

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Been working with DTV for over a week on an activation issue with a Win 7 64 bit client. It will activate in safe mode but not real mode. DTV have been very responsive but unable find a solution. Anyone out there had a Win 7 64 bit issue resolved?

#238 OFFLINE   mnMark

mnMark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

+1 to getting the Nomad to 'auto transcode' by default everything on my DVRs. I would love that.

I'm having a problem today, whereby I cannot select the auto-download option on my PC-connected device. I had 20 programs selected to auto-download, and the behavior the app is showing is that, when clicking the check box, the box will briefly show selected, then go back to cleared.

Thinking there may be a limit, I removed one of the auto-download shows, then attempted to add a new one. Same behavior is showing.

My setup: Win7 Pro, 64bit (1.0.1.40), and the Nomad (FW 1.0.p25.36929S) has a 1.5TB external drive attached. The transcoding, downloading, etc is all working just fine. My only problem is getting the auto-download to select.

Anyone else experiencing this?
DECA Networked:
HR22-100 - Living Room
HR21-100 - Master Bedroom
Nomad!

#239 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

+1 to getting the Nomad to 'auto transcode' by default everything on my DVRs. I would love that.

It's funny. I had a long back-and-forth in PMs about this with a forum mod. The upshot of it was more or less "such a feature is really not needed, Nomad is so simple". I'm so completely with you on this; I just want to be able to take whatever is on my DVRs with me whenever I want to head out with something. DirecTV seems to get this by allowing "season passes" to be auto added to Nomad. Maybe eventually they'll realize it should be a toggle for any recording. Seems very arbitrary it isn't.

#240 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

It's funny. I had a long back-and-forth in PMs about this with a forum mod. The upshot of it was more or less "such a feature is really not needed, Nomad is so simple". I'm so completely with you on this; I just want to be able to take whatever is on my DVRs with me whenever I want to head out with something. DirecTV seems to get this by allowing "season passes" to be auto added to Nomad. Maybe eventually they'll realize it should be a toggle for any recording. Seems very arbitrary it isn't.

The season passes are fine for regular TV series, but not good for movies and other programs. You need to remember to start the encode, or it won't be there when you are ready to go. Would be nice to have this feature.

Setup

Ken

spam firewall