Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

A week ago, activated a new iphone 4S as my 5th license. Worked great. Sadly, it died a few days later, the phone, not Nomad.

Replacement phone arrived but cannot transfer the license from old 4S to new 4S. Directv Nomad tech support stumped. (no apostrophes or commas). I learned from the CSR that there's a 30 day re-license rule. Meaning once a device loses it license due to transfer, it can't have it back for 30 days.

They don't believe one must keep a license for 30 days but can't explain why new 4S can't replace defective 4S. So for now, wait to see if they resolve this and get back to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I learned from the CSR that there's a 30 day re-license rule. Meaning once a device loses it license due to transfer, it can't have it back for 30 days.

Glad you mentioned this, because I read about this 30-day rule in the manual and I didn't (maybe still don't) understand it. The manual states

A device may be reactivated 30 days after it is deleted.

I didn't understand this but putting this statement together with what you were told, I think I may now. Does it mean that a device can't be reactivated until 30 days from the date it was deleted? If so, is the reason they are doing this is because deleting a device doesn't delete any shows on the device and this is how they are going to control someone downloading to more than five devices?

#263 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

Glad you mentioned this, because I read about this 30-day rule in the manual and I didn't (maybe still don't) understand it. The manual states I didn't understand this but putting this statement together with what you were told, I think I may now. Does it mean that a device can't be reactivated until 30 days from the date it was deleted? If so, is the reason they are doing this is because deleting a device doesn't delete any shows on the device and this is how they are going to control someone downloading to more than five devices?

The rule does make sense. If there wasn't a 30 day relicense requirement, one could just license devices every day, pushing out the oldest and then the next day that same deleted one could come back and grab someone else's license.

In my case, I wondering if there's also a requirement that once a device is licensed, it's license can't be transfered for 30 days. That might explain why I can't do the defective phone transfer since that license is only a week old.
Of course I could try a different device to transfer and if successful that would explain it. But then that PC or iPad can't be used again for 30 days so I don't want to try that.

Or I wait 3 more weeks and then will know if that was it since the defective phone was licensed about a week ago. This may be an unintended issue that reporting here will help solve.

#264 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Another question I don't recall seeing asked already. Will having a wireless n router transfer things faster then g, or is the write time on the iPad going to slow it down enough that it won't make any difference? Has anyone tried both?

#265 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

Another question I don't recall seeing asked already. Will having a wireless n router transfer things faster then g, or is the write time on the iPad going to slow it down enough that it won't make any difference? Has anyone tried both?

Well they are both flash memory but it still seems to go pretty slow I don't necessary think it will speed it up much or at all I have N router

Ok. The reason I asked is that some devices (i.e. my Apple TV) for some reason won't work right with DHCP (issue with the DNS). Part of the problem may be because I am on a WISP and my external IP is actually another private 10.10.x.x addresss. If I set it with a static IP and 'hard code' the DNS address, it works fine. Hopefully I won't have any problems.

That said, it seems odd that they would not let you set a static IP like you can with the DVRs.

Looks like your using an Apple router with 10.x.x.x addresses (or another router) try DHCP Reservations most have it including Apple routers that allowed me to set a "static" IP on my nomad as well as all my receivers

#266 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

Nomad returnable?

#267 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

I used both.

The wireless "N" router is definitely faster for the download stage of the process than using a "G" router.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#268 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Well they are both flash memory but it still seems to go pretty slow I don't necessary think it will speed it up much or at all I have N router

Thanks for the info on the N and transfer speed. I had a feeling it would not be much faster due to the flash memory. But if anyone else has actually done a G vs N transfer speed comparison test with the nomad, please post your findings.

Looks like your using an Apple router with 10.x.x.x addresses (or another router) try DHCP Reservations most have it including Apple routers that allowed me to set a "static" IP on my nomad as well as all my receivers

I don't have a Apple router. My LAN IPs are 192.168.x.x. , but my external IP on my router is a 10.10.x.x. address supplied by my ISP. My ISP (wisp) then routes the 10.10.x.x addresses out to public addresses. The problem is that when using DHCP, the router doles out the router's IP as the DNS server to the devices. The router does have the DNS addresses set up on it, but some devices just don't work properly with this setup. I just assume it's because of the 10.10.x.x external address thing. Oddly my iPad works fine, but my Apple TV would not. The Apple TV could see my lan, but would not connect to the Internet. I had to use a static IP on the Apple TV and 'hard code' the actual DNS addresses into it before it would work.

Reserving addresses won't help because it will still be using DHCP and using the router as the DNS server. I need to be able to put the DNS addresses directly on the unit to eliminate the problem.

My nomad should arive today. Hopefully it will not be an issue.

#269 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Nomad returnable?

That would be a good question for a csr. Not liking it or just worried you may not like it?

#270 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info on the N and transfer speed. I had a feeling it would not be much faster due to the flash memory. But if anyone else has actually done a G vs N transfer speed comparison test with the nomad, please post your findings.

I did some timings off the same Actiontec router on a 295.2 MB transcode.
  • Hardwired was 145 seconds (16.8Mbps) to a PC.
  • G and N to an iPad each took about 240 seconds (10.1Mbps).

/steve

#271 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Nomad returnable?

Call and ask. But generally "accessories" like Nomad, AM21 Off-Air Tuner, etc. are not returnable.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#272 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

That would be a good question for a csr. Not liking it or just worried you may not like it?

My receivers are bogged down with it sounds ridiculous but they are so slow even when not transcoding on nomad

#273 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

I did some timings off the same Actiontec router on a 295.2 MB transcode.

• Hardwired was 145 seconds (16.8Mbps) to a PC.
  • G and N to an iPad each took about 240 seconds (10.1Mbps).

Thanks. I was thinking about upgrading my router, but it does not look like it would gain anything.

#274 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks. I was thinking about upgrading my router, but it does not look like it would gain anything.

Probably not. I had 3 bars (max) wifi signal on my iPad, and it was in the same location when I downloaded both. All I did was change the router from N to G and reconnect the iPad after the router rebooted.
/steve

#275 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

My nomad just arrived. :D Thanks to reading this thread, setup was a breeze. They included a big notice to not do anything for about 10 minutes so it could download new firmware (which it did). Everything else went pretty quick. I'm doing a test download now.

#276 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

anybody had any issues with using nomad to put sporting events on their devices? i dvr'd the rangers - canucks game last night and it wouldn't complete the preparing / download process.

a few questions / theories:

- i'm not an nhl center ice subscriber. the game is part of the free preview going on until the 24th. is it possible that the nomad is doing some sort of authorization check and, seeing that i'm not a subscriber, not allowing me to put the game on my ipad?

- i know it's been mentioned before that nomad doesn't allow the transfer of pay per views. does directv categorize all sports subscriptions as pay-per-view, and therefore any sporting event recorded from mlb extra innings, nfl sunday ticket, nhl center ice, etc. cannot be moved onto your device of choice?

- is this prohibition just for sporting events shown on seasonal subscriptions, or is it league / sport-wide? as an example, should i be able to record and transfer hockey games recorded off of nbc, nhl network, versus, fox sports west / prime ticket, etc., or does directv's deal with the nhl preclude any games from being transferred?

I am. I've tried to download two different hockey games. Neither completed the "preparing" process so neither could be downloaded. I did a manual record on NHL CI channel (set for 3 hours; not 6). Shows recorded fine and can be watched on our home DVRs. I watched one game get down to about 58 minutes left of preparation and then it reset and went back to 3 hours ( and a few minutes). It did that twice before I cancelled the download. DVR that recorded the game was not in use during the prep time. I really want to figure this out; one of the main reasons for getting a nomad was to watch late night hockey games the following day when not at home.
EDIT/Added: On my nomad System Info, it says I have 10.24 GB free of 15.26GB. Should be enough room for a 3-hour show, correct?

#277 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

I just re-read the whole thread and am a little confused on one thing. If a program is in the process of 'downloading' to the nomad and you start a MRV from that DVR, the nomad takes a back seat. But does it pick up where it left off or does it need to start all over?

Also, I think this has already been mentioned, but DirecTV needs to be more consistent in their terminology on this. If you have set up a show to download (DVR to nomad), the main screen shows a bar at the bottom that says downloading 1 of 1, but click on the little up arrow to expand it, it says 'preparing'. IMO the term 'prepare' or 'tanscode' should be used on any screen when talking about shows being moving from the DVR to the nomad. And 'download' or 'transfer' should be used when talking about the show moving from the nomad to the device. It can be confusing if you have several processes going on at the same time and the screens are inconsistent.

#278 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

I just re-read the whole thread and am a little confused on one thing. If a program is in the process of 'downloading' to the nomad and you start a MRV from that DVR, the nomad takes a back seat. But does it pick up where it left off or does it need to start all over?

It has to start over from the beginning.
/steve

#279 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

Also, I think this has already been mentioned, but DirecTV needs to be more consistent in their terminology on this. If you have set up a show to download (DVR to nomad), the main screen shows a bar at the bottom that says downloading 1 of 1, but click on the little up arrow to expand it, it says 'preparing'. IMO the term 'prepare' or 'tanscode' should be used on any screen when talking about shows being moving from the DVR to the nomad. And 'download' or 'transfer' should be used when talking about the show moving from the nomad to the device. It can be confusing if you have several processes going on at the same time and the screens are inconsistent.

They are pretty consistent. The problem is they only allow you to set up stuff to download. So when you tell it to download a show, you are actually setting up 2 steps, the transcoding and the transferring to the device. If the program is already transcoded then it just skips that step.

What needs to happen is DirecTV needs to separate these two steps. You should be able to set up shows for transcoding and transferring to a device separately.

My guess is they did it the way it is currently to cause less confusion. People wouldn't be calling up saying "I set my Nomad to transcode these shows but they aren't on my device" because they weren't going through the separate step to actually transfer it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#280 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

One can effectively make it two steps: After choosing programs to transcode, quit the nomad app.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...