Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#451 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I have the pc nomad program running in a virtual machine - tonight I expanded the virtual disk a bit and now am getting "Account Validation Required - There is a problem with your DirecTV account. Please insure that you have internet access and Try-again if this problem persists Restart the application or call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code below. 2-0-2"

I figure this particular installation needs to be reactivated - everything clickable is disabled, even the "?" help button.

Short of uninstalling the entire application (and deleting a couple of other folders that the uninstall routine forgets to, according to posts on DirecTV technical forums), is there anyway to reactivate? It can talk to the Nomad (I mean it's on the same local network, and my iPhone app is running fine), so where is the list of activated clients, and how do you delete and re-authorize clients?

edit: I ended up doing a full uninstall and reinstall, and that seemed to work fine. My fear was the "if you deactivate a device, you must wait 30 days to reactivate..." caveat in the manual. Apparently they aren't enforcing that yet?

I got an "Account Validation Required" error today. I got error AR/3004 though. This is on an iPhone I've been using Nomad on for weeks. I even launched the app last night without issue.

Not sure what I should do about it. Do the uninstall/install thing I suppose.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#452 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

It should be noted that this is the computerly definition of resolution. In TV, resolution is a much more meaningful (and perhaps more subjective) metric. TV resolution is a measure of how fine the detail of the finished product is.

The pixel matrix is one element of TV resolution but it only tells part of the story. TV resolution takes into account the ravages of the transport method that computer resolution doesn't consider. There's also the concern of display speed (much like CRT persistence) that literally muddies the resultant picture.

Somewhere in the middle, we have digital video resolution which is impacted by the pixel matrix, scaling and lossy compression damage.

!rolling

Resolution means the same thing on TV's, you're just confused.

What a TV does with a imagine at any given resolution and how it displays it does not change the physical resolution that a tv can display. Don't confuse quality and quantity.

#453 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I got an "Account Validation Required" error today. I got error AR/3004 though. This is on an iPhone I've been using Nomad on for weeks. I even launched the app last night without issue.

Not sure what I should do about it. Do the uninstall/install thing I suppose.

Same thing happened with my iPad this AM. I haven't had time tonight to see if I still have the same problem.

#454 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

!rolling

Resolution means the same thing on TV's, you're just confused.

What a TV does with a imagine at any given resolution and how it displays it does not change the physical resolution that a tv can display. Don't confuse quality and quantity.

Precisely. Resolution = pixel count.

All the other things mentioned in the post you quote are not resolution, even if they are part of picture quality. In fact, that's what I've been harping on with Nomad from the beginning. It's "weakness" appears to be the quality of its encoding, which has nothing to do with the resolution choice DirecTV has made per se. If they upped the resolution and still made mediocre encodes, the picture would look no better or not much better.

A great example is YouTube where many of the "HD videos" have clearly higher pixel counts, but have as much digital noise, macroblocking, etc. as some of the lower res ones (rarely are they are bad as the lowest resolution ones, which honestly are too low resolution for full-motion video that mimics what the eye sees) and they have no more color information some of the time. The problem is -- and this is where it gets confusing -- some of those YouTube videos look amazing, but why?.

People have conflated the term resolution with all sorts of things it doesn't mean thanks in part to things like YouTube where is technically just means pixels, but often also appears on better encodes with higher bitrates, more color info, etc. Those things that are not pixels, however, are not resolution.

#455 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Here's another wrinkle: The same transcode (of Arial America:Hawaii) looks better on an iPad than on a new MacBookAir, especially if the pictures are stopped and compared. Running, not so much. Same with America's Test Kitchen- better on iPad than new MacBook (screens sized the same). The ones on the laptop are softer that the iPad display. If there's that much discrepancy between two recent products from one company who's outstanding in display technology, imagine how hard it'd be to optimize for every dang device.....

Further, the quality of AA:Hawaii is higher than ATK on both screens, leading me to believe that that's a function of the quality of the transcode, or original pixels provided by the content maker to DIRECTV®.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#456 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

I would like a higher quality choice, because the artifacts are noticeable on 15" macbook pro.

Are the resulting videos watermarked with the dtv account?

Bootcamp? how are you watching on macbook pro? I wanna watch on my 17" macbook pro

#457 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

Since my reinstall yesterday, I have been getting frequent 8-8-0 messages (the nomad could not be found). I check that the nomad is pingable, which it is, and hit the Retry button - but that just gives me the 8-8-0 message again.

If I quit the Nomad program and then restart it, it immediately finds the Nomad - so there seems to be a problem with the Retry routine.

Also, if I just hit cancel and go into offline mode, there seems to be no mechanism for going back to online connected to the Nomad mode. That would be a nice feature to have.

Edit: got the same message this morning, but the Retry option did work. Thankfully, the Nomad itself keeps chugging away at transcoding programs while the client is disconnected

Edited by Fraaaak, 06 December 2011 - 12:59 PM.
update

#458 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

Here's another wrinkle: The same transcode (of Arial America:Hawaii) looks better on an iPad than on a new MacBookAir, especially if the pictures are stopped and compared. Running, not so much. Same with America's Test Kitchen- better on iPad than new MacBook (screens sized the same). The ones on the laptop are softer that the iPad display. If there's that much discrepancy between two recent products from one company who's outstanding in display technology, imagine how hard it'd be to optimize for every dang device.....

Further, the quality of AA:Hawaii is higher than ATK on both screens, leading me to believe that that's a function of the quality of the transcode, or original pixels provided by the content maker to DIRECTV®.

Certainly interesting info. The freeze frame differences could be a function of how the respective video playback software freezes a frame, though. I really have no basis for comparison. You said the running video looks similar though?

Anyway, interesting insight either way.

#459 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Bootcamp? how are you watching on macbook pro? I wanna watch on my 17" macbook pro

I'm using Vmware Fusion, with Win7 64bit in a virtual machine. Parallels is another popular vm option. I'm sure BootCamp would work just as well, though you would have to reboot into it - the virtual machine products allow you to run windows from within os x.

This is on an early 2011 macbook pro (8,2) 2.2 GHz i7 - with OS X Lion

Edited by Fraaaak, 06 December 2011 - 01:08 PM.
not allowed to reveal version number of lion build.

#460 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

I agree with very little in your post.

There are plenty of 14-megapixel cameras that capture less detail than better 8, 10 and 12-megapixel ones. Why? Sensor quality, lens quality, software quality, etc.

As I agree with very little of yours. You are talking about cameras, and we are talking about transcoding. Apples and oranges.

#461 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Bottom line. The Nomad does a piss poor job of encoding. The resulting videos viewed via the PC app are very poor. Doesn't matter how small you make the player window. Doesn't matter what display you are using that's connected to the computer or the laptop screen you may be using. Anyone that feels the quality is comparable to a DVD needs to buy some glasses, seriously. Makes no difference what the stated resolution is if a poor job is done during the encoding. Viewing the videos on an iPhone is one thing. I find the quality completely acceptable due to the size of the screen which actually provides for a solidified image. Currently limiting my Nomad viewing to the iPhone as a result. If I want to view the given program on a larger screen I'd just assume wait until I can view it at home on one of the displays I'm outputting my DVR's to.

#462 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

It may look poor on your equipment, but it's fine on iPhone and iPad.

#463 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

As I said, I find the quality completely acceptable via the iPhone due to the size of the screen and am limiting my viewing as such.

#464 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,766 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

It may look poor on your equipment, but it's fine on iPhone and iPad.

+1
I am very satisfied with the performance on my iPad. I'm either waiting somewhere in a room full of people or at 35K feet on a crowded plane and find the ability to store and watch movies from SHO and HBO as well as various TV series a great experience.

#465 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,848 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Bottom line. The Nomad does a piss poor job of encoding. The resulting videos viewed via the PC app are very poor. .....

Respectfully disagree. Looks just fine on my laptop PC.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#466 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

As I agree with very little of yours. You are talking about cameras, and we are talking about transcoding. Apples and oranges.

You obviously couldn't be bothered to read what I wrote. The point about cameras was an analogy. You make several inferences in your earlier post about what will yield better quality that are simply wrong.

#467 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

My nomad seems to be preparing episodes that are already downloaded to my pc. Is there a way to view the contents of the Nomad disk itself to find out what is going on?

#468 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

My nomad seems to be preparing episodes that are already downloaded to my pc. Is there a way to view the contents of the Nomad disk itself to find out what is going on?

Not that I am aware of. Been suggested many a time, along with the ability to simply delete specific shows.

#469 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Not that I am aware of. Been suggested many a time, along with the ability to simply delete specific shows.

Actually, there is a filter to view just what is "ready to download", which would be what is on the nomad.
DogLover

My Setup

#470 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Actually, there is a filter to view just what is "ready to download", which would be what is on the nomad.

Well, yes, indeed there is, but that list doesn't really show "what's going on"- but a good catch for those who might've overlooked that.

#471 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

You can see how much of the space on your nomad is used. Could it be that some old shows were deleted for space?

Setup

Ken

#472 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

So how long do the transcodes/downloads?

Curious about how Nomad is overall as a place shifting solution, compared to getting an external Sling box, in terms of cost, convenience/time, reliability, quality.

Or some cheaper packages like the Vulkano boxes.

Or transcoding downloaded content for your mobile device. For instance, I've played around with Air Video and Zumocast on the iPad, more transcoding and loading onto the iPad than streaming to it. Took a LONG time, movies would take more than real-time and some higher bitrate files would not play back well on iPad 1.

Of course, all these are political restrictions because of the media companies, probably why these solutions are technical compromises at best -- for instance, why not be able to directly transfer files on your DVR over to your device, or maybe to a computer for doing the transcoding if necessary?

Now the MPAA is using scare tactics about how piracy is like terrorism while at the same time lobbying for Draconian laws. We consumers pay big money to get this content but they obviously want more. They don't want you to be able to place shift with the content you already paid for, they want you to buy a digital copy or a DVD/Blu-Ray if you also want to watch on a mobile device or while away from home.

#473 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Received an update to version 1.0.1.51 of the PC nomad app today!

#474 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

So how long do the transcodes/downloads?

As noted several times, transcodes take about 1:1... One hour show takes about one hour. Downloads take much, much less time.

Curious about how Nomad is overall as a place shifting solution, compared to getting an external Sling box, in terms of cost, convenience/time, reliability, quality.

Nomad is cheaper than HD sling (slightly more than SD sling), works when you have no internet connection on the remote end. Sling lets you watch 100% of your programming (Nomad doesn't). Sling requires no pre-preparation or downloading and can let you watch things that have aired since you left home. It needs an internet connection with decent bandwidth on both ends. (I have a Sling. It is amazing in most hotels I've been to.)

Or some cheaper packages like the Vulkano boxes.

Generally those are consider Sling-like, but most people prefer Slings. I say most because it's not true of all. The overpriced Sling clients are a lot of the reason; the reliability is another. There are some nice features on the more expensive Vulkanos. I'm not an expert on why you'd choose one; I trusted the sum total of a few reviews to know a Sling was a better bet for me.

Or transcoding downloaded content for your mobile device. For instance, I've played around with Air Video and Zumocast on the iPad, more transcoding and loading onto the iPad than streaming to it. Took a LONG time, movies would take more than real-time and some higher bitrate files would not play back well on iPad 1.

If you want to transcode DVR content, get a Nomad. It just does it. Very simple and effective, works on nearly all your content on the DVR (not VOD, for example). Life is too short to screw around replicating those functions. Nomad at $150 will just handle it.

Of course, all these are political restrictions because of the media companies, probably why these solutions are technical compromises at best -- for instance, why not be able to directly transfer files on your DVR over to your device, or maybe to a computer for doing the transcoding if necessary?

Well, direct DVR transfer to phones would result in lots of consumer unhappiness. Most people lack a lot of storage on their phones. The bitrate used for HD on most DVRs would mean very full phones very quickly. Bad in a consumer product. Transcoding is a necessary evil, I'm afraid. Now, yes, your PC is going to outdo Nomad. As for why they didn't do this, they'd have had to engineer the solution, bolt it down with DRM, and then support people's PCs.

With Nomad, the bolting down is easier, but more importantly, the support is easier. The closed-box approach meets the needs of more consumers than the more-flexible PC-based approach would. I'm not saying I like it that way, but it's why it is that way.

Now the MPAA is using scare tactics about how piracy is like terrorism while at the same time lobbying for Draconian laws. We consumers pay big money to get this content but they obviously want more. They don't want you to be able to place shift with the content you already paid for, they want you to buy a digital copy or a DVD/Blu-Ray if you also want to watch on a mobile device or while away from home.

They are giving away digital copies now with UltraViolet so I can't say I agree with the latter half of your tirade, there. But I can agree with your general sentiment that the MPAA is out of control.

#475 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Received an update to version 1.0.1.51 of the PC nomad app today!

I upgraded and again had the nightmare of 2-4-2 and 2-0-2 errors.

I tried retry and restart. No go.

I uninstalled, but left the user settings. Same error.

Finally I uninstalled and removed the user settings. When I activated, it required a new license. Not sure why, since I'm on the same PC. Maybe I used a new Device name?

Anyway, it's finally working again. Have you found any changes?

Setup

Ken

Protected By... spam firewall...And...