Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

All these people getting their nomads. I ordered the first day. I just accepted the fact that I probably needed to wait until Monday. I'm watching the game and the wife just yelled down to me "Are you gonna open those directv packages that gave been sitting in the foyer?" WHAT???? yup. My nomad has been sitting here for at least a day without my knowledge.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'd like to make a request for the iOS app. Allow multitasking so that the app can have shows downloaded to it while you're working in other apps.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

I'd like to make a request for the iOS app. Allow multitasking so that the app can have shows downloaded to it while you're working in other apps.

That'd be nice! I guess it will come, as it doesn't seem out of bounds as far as I understand Apple's rulz. (Which is cursory at best).

Sounds like you're aware that you can set a bunch of "preps"- and then download the bunch later. Downloading takes way less time than the encoding.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

All these people getting their nomads. I ordered the first day. I just accepted the fact that I probably needed to wait until Monday. I'm watching the game and the wife just yelled down to me "Are you gonna open those directv packages that gave been sitting in the foyer?" WHAT???? yup. My nomad has been sitting here for at least a day without my knowledge.

OMG! Packages, as in plural nomads? How many?? Or are you getting a new receiver or so...?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

No. Just one nomad. I just unboxed it. I also need to confess that I previously exclaimed that the "jailbroken devices being unsupported" is a dealbreaker. I guess it was just a deal-delayer as I ordered just before midnight on the first day. The other boxes were deca units because my MRV setup needed to be a "supported" configuration with the nomad. The decas were free. As is the hddvr I'm expecting tomorrow to replace an r15. (R15 does not work with a supported MRV setup so they HAD to replace the r15). A truck is coming tomorrow am with the dvr. They credited me the $50 tech visit. Hopefully he just hands me a HR24 and can go on his way.

#26 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Dang! One more little thing occurred to me: When registering hit Done, not Sign In.(or whatever the language)... hoping.....

hitting either one brings me to same screen informing me that I have 5 activations left.
At that point, pressing 'Activate iOS' device causes the unit to begin the activation process and then after 10 minutes, it craps out..
Supposedly, DirecTV is suppose to have someone from Engineering call me tomorrow afternoon to discuss the issue further.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#27 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Just ordered mine, but it wasn't what I expected... :rolleyes:

So, can't wait!

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

#28 OFFLINE   Alanjudy

Alanjudy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:04 AM

Got my nomad on Friday and put it through the ringer. Overall setup was easy, they have made things pretty idiot proof.

What did disappoint me was the quality which I hope improves. I know the iPad is not fully supported, but I hope there is better resolution support when the iPad support is finally available. On the PC I felt the picture quality was poor and not watchable. When you compare the quality of other services (streaming - hulu, Netflix -- non streaming iTunes, Amazon) I felt the picture quality from the nomad was worse than these. ITunes in particular with HD options offers substancial better quality. For the iPhone quality was fine, because even though the retina display supports high resolution, the picture size hides much of the flaws in encoding.

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

What did disappoint me was the quality which I hope improves. I know the iPad is not fully supported, but I hope there is better resolution support when the iPad support is finally available. On the PC I felt the picture quality was poor and not watchable.

Were you converting SD or HD shows? I found that SD conversions played back on the larger PC screens are the worst quality. As you probably know, DirecTV SD is pretty compressed to begin with, and recompressing it results in even more loss of detail.

For HD originals, I think the parameters they chose deliver very good quality at reasonable file sizes up to the iPad's 9.7" screen. Go any bigger, say a 12"-15" laptop screen, or a 19" desktop screen, and you will see compression artifacts, especially if you're looking at the picture as close as a foot or two away.

FWIW, I posted a couple of my iPad screen grabs here.
/steve

#30 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

I've found the my first program that refuses to transcode or prepare and therefore won't download to any of my registered devices. It is the following...

HDNet Test Pattern 10 min 0 sec recorded from HDN 5/30/2009 6:30a

This is a short, ten minute, set of HD test patterns that HDNet would run ocassionaly. Many of us on DBStalk would record it, save it and use it to calibrate an HDTV.

From the Nomad client it just sits there saying "WAITING TO PREPARE" and never finishes. I've let it sit overnight and nothing happens.

I'm wondering if it has to do something with it being ten minutes or maybe it's age?

Anyone else run into this issue or other programs that refuse to prepare or download?

#31 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,741 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

I've found the my first program that refuses to transcode or prepare and therefore won't download to any of my registered devices. It is the following...

HDNet Test Pattern 10 min 0 sec recorded from HDN 5/30/2009 6:30a....

My Test Pattern recording is from 6/23/2009...channel 79 - that was still MPEG2 days, IIRC.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

I had no problems transcoding HDNet Test pattern. That said, if there are any dropouts or "glitches" in the original recording due to signal problems, I've found that Nomad will sometimes get stuck transcoding files that the HRs are still able to play back.

What's still a work in progress, IMHO, is Nomad's ability to (a) report that it can't transcode a file for whatever reason and (B) at some point "time-out" that transcode attempt, so it can continue to transcode other files that may be queued for conversion. Right now, the only work-around I've found is to manually cancel that "stuck" transcode.
/steve

#33 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

I just ordered one and when I got the email this was stated inside the email.
Service Commitment. You're set to receive the best in TV entertainment for 24 months as stated in your agreement.

Does this reset the commintment?

#34 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I just ordered one and when I got the email this was stated inside the email.
Service Commitment. You're set to receive the best in TV entertainment for 24 months as stated in your agreement.

Does this reset the commintment?

No. There was an error in the original confirmation email that erroneously stated a monthly fee and a 24 month commitment. Neither are correct. The Nomad is yours to keep after purchase with no monthly fee or contract requirements.

#35 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,603 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

No. There was an error in the original confirmation email that erroneously stated a monthly fee and a 24 month commitment. Neither are correct. The Nomad is yours to keep after purchase with no monthly fee or contract requirements.

Thanks for that post - it clarifies things for many reading this thread.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#36 OFFLINE   MichaelM84

MichaelM84

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

Some more feedback from my Nomad Weekend Torture Test:

1. Preparing shares some of the unit's bandwidth with actual downloading: Downloading is significantly slower (roughly 2-3x greater download time) if prep is still going on in the background.

2. After downloading about 7 or 8 shows, the prep and download progress windows vanished on the iPhone client. Hard iPhone reset did not help. Cycling the power on the Nomad restored the progress bars. I suppose this is not a surprise, considering we're working with v1.0 FW.

3. Speaking of cycling the power: Auto-download resumes automatically after power cycling . Nice.

4. Do not check your sports scores on the iPhone in the middle of a download. :-) You will have to re-start the download.

5. Watched a show on the iPad last night -- just because I could! Put down the iPad without closing the app, and work up this morning to a dead iPad. The app cancels autolock, even when a video is not running. So, be advised... On the flip side, it DOES mean that you can select your shows for prep and downloading at night, and wake up to find them nicely ready to go on the iPad in the AM -- provided you leave it plugged in to the charger.

6. Launch time for the app is a problem. Timed minutes ago on a freshly-booted iPhone 3GS: 2 minutes, 25 seconds to launch the app. Note that the default app behavior is for the app to launch and show the Playlist on all DVR's -- and I have 3 MRV units with healthy Playlists. No, it's not my network -- download for a 30-minute show is just over 4 minutes. Only way around so far is to exit the app, turn of WiFi, and relaunch, showing only the locally stored videos. The app launches in less than 5 seconds with WiFi off.

7. No way that I can see to directly select from which DVR a program should be downloaded -- because I am lazy I have the same programs (in some instances) being recorded on multiple DVR's, but they only appear once in the download list. Using the "DVR Playlist" feature can serve this purpose -- but it all the Playlist refreshing after making changes takes time.

8. Even with the Nomad crunching away at prepping a list of programs, I did not detect any slowdown on the DVR's while watching TV -- the upside of the real-time prep is a relatively low overhead load on the serving DVR.

9. Programs already prepped and stored on the Nomad can immediately be downloaded to another device. HOWEVER, I don't see a way to identify which programs have already been prepped -- the Playlist listing is identical to the non-prepped programs, and the app immediately goes to the "downloading" section.

10. Still happy with video quality -- some artifacting is visible, but I'm pleased with the quality / size balance. I'd like to see a size-per-video option to help manage iPhone / iPad storage.

Question for the group: Anyone know what the FRONT USB is for? Manual sez additional storage should be connected to the REAR USB.

Thanks,

Michael in Michigan

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

4. Do not check your sports scores on the iPhone in the middle of a download. :-) You will have to re-start the download.

Roger that. Unfortunately, this is not an app that Apple allows to do any background multitasking, like apps that play audio. (I could be wrong, but I assume this is an Apple issue, and not a Nomad issue.)

5. Watched a show on the iPad last night -- just because I could! Put down the iPad without closing the app, and work up this morning to a dead iPad. The app cancels autolock, even when a video is not running. So, be advised...

Had the same experience with the iPad, but not my iPod Touch. I downloaded a few shows overnight on both, and in the morning, the iPad was on the same screen I left it, at full screen brightness. Fortunately it was plugged in. OTOH, the iPod Touch was locked and asleep. When I unlocked it, it was on the home screen. So the app closed, but not before it downloaded the files I expected it to. :up:

On the flip side, it DOES mean that you can select your shows for prep and downloading at night, and wake up to find them nicely ready to go on the iPad in the AM -- provided you leave it plugged in to the charger.

Yes. Works the same for the PC client as well, as long as you leave it running. If you want the same overnight transcodes on multiple devices, be sure you select those shows for download on each device you want them on, otherwise they'll just auto-copy to the device that originally requested them.

6. Launch time for the app is a problem. Timed minutes ago on a freshly-booted iPhone 3GS: 2 minutes, 25 seconds to launch the app. Note that the default app behavior is for the app to launch and show the Playlist on all DVR's -- and I have 3 MRV units with healthy Playlists.

I sometimes see overly long start-up times as well. Not sure why the time varies. That said, the quickest I've ever booted up and seen my 3 HRs unified playlist on an iOS device is about 50 seconds, so still a considerable wait.
/steve

#38 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,165 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Some more feedback from my Nomad Weekend Torture Test:

9. Programs already prepped and stored on the Nomad can immediately be downloaded to another device. HOWEVER, I don't see a way to identify which programs have already been prepped -- the Playlist listing is identical to the non-prepped programs, and the app immediately goes to the "downloading" section.

Thanks,

Michael in Michigan

Be sure to check the 'Ready to Download' Filter on either client.

It shows you programs on Nomad that are ready AND not on your device.

Edited by dennisj00, 10 October 2011 - 03:41 PM.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#39 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Came here to say exactly this. Background downloading is a must for iOS apps at this point. I'll survive in the meantime but this will quickly get old having to leave the open for an hour and avoid phone calls to get new content on it. :(

Something like iTunes WiFi Sync will be perfect--automatically download new content every time it's plugged in and on the WiFi.

#40 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

Roger that. Unfortunately, this is not an app that Apple allows to do any background multitasking, like apps that play audio. (I could be wrong, but I assume this is an Apple issue, and not a Nomad issue.)

That hasn't been the case since iOS version 3. You can now background anything you want--including downloading. The music-only backgrounding was a limitation before version 4 though.

spam firewall