Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

It would also be nice if you could choose what resolution to transcode to - i.e.. a "Best" level for a notebook or pc, "Better" for a tablet and "Good" for a smartphone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

It would also be nice if you could choose what resolution to transcode to - i.e.. a "Best" level for a notebook or pc, "Better" for a tablet and "Good" for a smartphone.

I doubt that will happen. Even if the hardware and software could easily be developed to handle that handily, it'd create way too much confusion on the part of users— not thee nor me, nor anyone here—but the less involved viewer.

Truly, the iPad is the vehicle of choice in terms of ideal size and pixel density. Don't think it will ever get shown on any of my TVs.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#423 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

I'm watching on the TV in my hotel tonight. I use the Component cables from Apple.

Setup

Ken

#424 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'm watching on the TV in my hotel tonight. I use the Component cables from Apple.

Cool! Is it a HD TV? Like the picure?

For me, a photographer who used to peep pixels, I like 'em packed, so the iPad is just right for nomad. I meant to convey that I personally don't care to watch such on TV.

#425 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

The Nomad is the transcoder. Stuart's comments refer to using the PC to get the transcoding going, since that's the slow part.

#426 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Cool! Is it a HD TV? Like the picure?

The picture is acceptable (not great) when I'm across the room. I'm one of the folks that would use a high quality option if it was available for nomad. I watch some programs when I'm on the plane or at the airport, but most of the time I'm in a hotel room.

The best option for me would be support for high quality and Apple TV. I really like the remote that Apple TV provides. It's really slick for skipping commercials, much better than the slider. Apple TV from my iPad is not working with nomad today, so I'm forced to the Component cables.

Setup

Ken

#427 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

The Nomad is the transcoder. Stuart's comments refer to using the PC to get the transcoding going, since that's the slow part.

Absolutely right. What I do is, I set a bunch of programs to transcode from the PC. The nomad does all the work... I just let it sit there overnight and when the hard stuff is done I transfer it to my iPad.

As far as the quality, it's... not bad. Yes you will see some artifacts if you try to throw it to a large display. But it's not really meant for that. It's pretty good from an HD source viewed on the PC or iPad. On SD sources, well garbage in garbage out, really.

The goal is to have the files fit down to about 1GB/hour. Let's be honest, Blu-ray is about 20 times that, give or take. So you're not going to get that level of quality. But on the other hand how many people want to fill up a mobile device with 25GB rips?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#428 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

I've been using the Nomad for about a week and a half. I'd say over all this is an admirable attempt at making recorded content portable. It works, that's for sure.
I would prefer the ability to manually select shows to "prepare" without requesting a "download.
But I'm sort of getting over that now that I see how it works. On the iPhone you select "download" and episode. It goes in to "preparing" then you shut down the app. Return later when it's ready and the iPhone app asks you want to download now or later (at least it's not automatic.) So I am getting used to how to work it.

Complaints:
1) The PC Windows app and iPhone app are far too inconsistent. I was quite confused at first trying to use both until I figured out to just not use the PC app (until a later date should I need to.)
2) I would like the ability to delete shows off the nomad. Even the 30 second press reset doesn't delete content.
3) The iPhone app needs to use background download mode. It's a feature built in to iOS. I use several other apps that take advantage of this. You start your queue of download items, close the app, and it continues to download them (apps even notify me when the downloads are done.) It's kind of ridiculous that I have to leave the app open to get my downloads.
Pretty much I open the app, start the downloads, plug it in, and go to bed (or go do something that takes 1/2 hour or more.)
4) The device register/unregister process should be better. They should let you register a device and delete the app without having to wait 30 days. Or at least allow us more than 5 devices. Between my wife and I we have two iPhones and two iPads. That doesn't leave room for kids to use it (thankfully mine is only 1 year old right now.)
5) Start up time on the iPhone app is a joke. It should start up instantly to the downloaded tab and do it's syncing in the background making those tabs available when they're ready, not hold you hostage while it figures it out.

The video quality is very good and totally acceptable for it's intent which is watching on portable devices. This isn't intended for large screen viewing on the go.

Over all, with a little getting used to it, I think this very much serves it's purpose and I'm thrilled that I can take almost any show with me. I hope to see improvements over time. I understand this is very much a 1.0 product.
5 DirecTV HD DVRs: HR20-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR21-100, HR24-500
60" Sony SXRB HD

#429 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

I installed the PC and played around with it for 5 minutes and haven't touched it since. My only PC is a desktop and I'm not taking that thing anywhere. DirecTV2PC offers much better video quality.

I agree with the complaints about the iPhone app. It should be able to download stuff in the background. I don't find it hugely annoying. I usually have it downloading stuff while I'm getting ready for work. The startup time for the app is definitely something they need to work on.

#430 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

The goal is to have the files fit down to about 1GB/hour. Let's be honest, Blu-ray is about 20 times that, give or take. So you're not going to get that level of quality. But on the other hand how many people want to fill up a mobile device with 25GB rips?

The other goal is not to have the transcodes take forever. I have files that are 400MB / hour that are artifact free and look decent on the big screen (not to mention the iPad). It's pretty clear that Nomad uses a purpose-built hardware encoder that does some kind of single-pass encode that's quick and dirty. I tend to agree with Stuart that for its intended purpose, it's doing about what's right.

It does seem realistic, though, if the Nomad hardware permits it, to have a not-easily-found (for ease of use purposes for the "masses") high-quality mode. That might take twice as long but would yield a higher-quality encode -- and might not even be a larger file (or might be somewhat less bigger than you'd think). This is a possible enhancement down the road if there is enough demand for better quality encodes.

#431 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

It does seem realistic, though, if the Nomad hardware permits it, to have a not-easily-found (for ease of use purposes for the "masses") high-quality mode. That might take twice as long but would yield a higher-quality encode -- and might not even be a larger file (or might be somewhat less bigger than you'd think). This is a possible enhancement down the road if there is enough demand for better quality encodes.

I'm sure the demand will be there, but not sure if licensing agreements with the content providers won't get in the way.

#432 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'm sure the demand will be there, but not sure if licensing agreements with the content providers won't get in the way.

I would like a higher quality choice, because the artifacts are noticeable on 15" macbook pro.

Are the resulting videos watermarked with the dtv account?

#433 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Not visibly in the picture, but I understand they are wrapped with DRM.

Setup

Ken

#434 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

I would like a higher quality choice, because the artifacts are noticeable on 15" macbook pro.

I shrink my window to the size of an iPad when on MBP or Air. Don't like the q on any larger screen.

#435 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Again, no. As irrational as the licensing agreements are, I cannot believe they specifically require encoding the streams badly. Yes, they may limit the resolution but I promise you the problems people are experiencing are not a function of resolution primarily. The resolution is more or less DVD resolution and DVDs can be blown up to many feet without significant artifacting.

The artifacting is an encode-quality issue and I cannot accept that DirecTV is under contract to encode the streams on Nomad "only well enough such that at least some people find the quality unacceptable on 15" laptops" or any equivalent terminology to define the same result.

#436 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

Whoa! You make assumptions that are unwarranted. Never implied that quality would be purposely degraded, but rather that full HD may be off limits.

That leaves the question of what is a reasonable size? Answer: iPad dimensions, currently. Anything larger will start to fall off in quality, though the degree to which it becomes objectionable will vary by person as well as hardware.

#437 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Whoa! You make assumptions that are unwarranted. Never implied that quality would be purposely degraded, but rather that full HD may be off limits.

That leaves the question of what is a reasonable size? Answer: iPad dimensions, currently. Anything larger will start to fall off in quality, though the degree to which it becomes objectionable will vary by person as well as hardware.

You ought to read what I wrote. The quality issues with Nomad are almost certainly not a function of resolution. Encode quality and resolution have nearly nothing to do with one another. And for what it's worth, I very much doubt that there is a contractual limit on resolution anyway. The reason to cap resolution is file size. The reason encode quality isn't what it could be in spite of sufficient file size is doubtless a combination of expediency, software and hardware. I believe it's fixable even if I'm not sure they ever will. And this still has nothing to do with resolution.

#438 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

Resolution is excellent on an iPad. Bigger suffers. Other hardware suffers.
It may be that your definition of resolution is different from mine.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#439 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

The nomad seems to be pretty 'chatty' with the Internet. We have been having a lot of outages here, and very shortly after things go down, I get the amber LED on the unit. It's not that it's not detecting the LAN or DVRs, but that it can't do whatever communications it's doing on the Internet. I just don't see why it needs to be constantly accessing the Internet so often.

#440 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Resolution is excellent on an iPad. Bigger suffers. Other hardware suffers.
It may be that your definition of resolution is different from mine.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Resolution has a very very specific meaning. It refers to the number of pixels in the image. The resolution of Nomad is actually quite similar to the resolution of DVD. (They are both very approximately 720 x 480.)

It's patently obvious from the complaints here and my limited experience seeing someone's Nomad recordings, that Nomad is nowhere near DVD quality. Now, again -- and I'm kind of done explaining this -- the image quality you see is not merely a function of the resolution of the image. You have a video file that's define by a number of key attributes. They are:

1) Encoding method used (e.g. MPEG-2, MPEG-4 -- which comes in a ton of variants, by the way such that almost everything you get these days is some kind of MPEG-4 encode)
2) Bitrate of the file (which determines how big the file is when multiplied by the number of minutes in the files)
3) Resolution of the file (the number of pixels, 720 x 480, 1280 x 720, 1920 x 1080, etc. etc.)

You'd think that looking at those three attributes would actually tell you how good the file is. It doesn't. Now, the question is why. And the answer is complex and beyond the scope of this discussion and to some extent my knowledge, but I'll summarize.

To encode a video file from one codec (e.g. MPEG-2) to another (e.g. MPEG-4) or to transcode it from one resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080) to another (e.g. 720 x 480) requires significant amounts of processing power. So much so that in the case of transcoding, even a modern Core i7 doesn't do an amazing job at this without some help. However, there is often help in the form of purpose-built chips that can encode or transcode data in real time or even faster (in other words, they can take 1 minute of video and process it in 1 minute or even less). Someone made a design decision to have Nomad retail for $149 and also offer real-time transcoding of MPEG-4 satellite broadcasts that are up to the higher single-digit-megabit range (someone can confirm DirecTV's top bitrate here, I'm not sure what it really is).

But here's the thing, the image quality you see is a function of how good that encode is, regardless of the speed with which it is performed, the resolution of the resulting file and even the bitrate. And the reason for this is the better the processing that is done -- and the longer it's allowed to be done -- the better the result. Perhaps a good analogy would be the difference between Rembrandt and the guy who paints the exterior of the local Public Storage. One has skill the other lacks and one has time the other lacks. Imagine if you had Rembrandt on a chip. Even with the equivalent amount of time to the Public Storage painter, he'd make a lovelier painter. And with more time? Well, he might paint a masterpiece.

Encode quality is the system's "skill" and it's not measurable. It's a function both of the innate abilities of the processor involved in the device (in this case the chip that is Nomad's "brain"), plus what it knows (Nomad's software), plus how long it has to solve the problem (in this case, Nomad is instructed to encode no slower than 1:1 or real-time).

I actually am not rendering an opinion on whether the quality is good enough for iPod, iPad, or iMac (or their Windows or Android equivalent). That's incidental to what I'm trying to explain. Which is this: If there is to ever be a better result from Nomad -- in other words, a prettier to look at file, it does not need necessarily need to be any larger. Making it larger would allow for a higher bitrate or higher resolution -- or both. And either or both of those could improve the image quality. But an alternative would be to simply allow it to encode more slowly -- more diligently if you will -- after giving it more "skills" to use the time to get a better quality result. The files would then retain their portability, would not take up any more space on Nomad itself, but would look far better on larger-screen laptops, etc.

Nomad's file size is actually quite large. It's roughly twice the size per hour of the most comment torrent files, which tend to be based on OTA or cable TV broadcasts. Those torrents tend also to have resolution similar to Nomad's files. They can, however, often be blown up to a 50" screen without significant picture quality degradation. They are perhaps a bit soft and the lesser of them might suffer macroblocking under extreme conditions, but they are clearly superior to Nomad files despite having half as many bits. This is not in any way a knock on Nomad. Those files are made on high-end PCs, do not have to be completed in real time, etc. It just points out what is possible with even fewer bits than Nomad. I would suggest that those people wishing for higher quality Nomad files would be well served by arguing for quality rather than quantity.

The quantity argument will cause files to fit less well on smartphones and tablets which are often memory constrained. Quality, however, could be achieved merely through patience -- assuming, again, the Nomad hardware has the capability to be "taught" to do better if allowed more time to study the problem at hand.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...