Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Bottom line. The Nomad does a piss poor job of encoding. The resulting videos viewed via the PC app are very poor. Doesn't matter how small you make the player window. Doesn't matter what display you are using that's connected to the computer or the laptop screen you may be using. Anyone that feels the quality is comparable to a DVD needs to buy some glasses, seriously. Makes no difference what the stated resolution is if a poor job is done during the encoding. Viewing the videos on an iPhone is one thing. I find the quality completely acceptable due to the size of the screen which actually provides for a solidified image. Currently limiting my Nomad viewing to the iPhone as a result. If I want to view the given program on a larger screen I'd just assume wait until I can view it at home on one of the displays I'm outputting my DVR's to.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

It may look poor on your equipment, but it's fine on iPhone and iPad.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#463 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

As I said, I find the quality completely acceptable via the iPhone due to the size of the screen and am limiting my viewing as such.

#464 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

It may look poor on your equipment, but it's fine on iPhone and iPad.

+1
I am very satisfied with the performance on my iPad. I'm either waiting somewhere in a room full of people or at 35K feet on a crowded plane and find the ability to store and watch movies from SHO and HBO as well as various TV series a great experience.

#465 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Bottom line. The Nomad does a piss poor job of encoding. The resulting videos viewed via the PC app are very poor. .....

Respectfully disagree. Looks just fine on my laptop PC.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#466 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

As I agree with very little of yours. You are talking about cameras, and we are talking about transcoding. Apples and oranges.

You obviously couldn't be bothered to read what I wrote. The point about cameras was an analogy. You make several inferences in your earlier post about what will yield better quality that are simply wrong.

#467 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

My nomad seems to be preparing episodes that are already downloaded to my pc. Is there a way to view the contents of the Nomad disk itself to find out what is going on?

#468 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

My nomad seems to be preparing episodes that are already downloaded to my pc. Is there a way to view the contents of the Nomad disk itself to find out what is going on?

Not that I am aware of. Been suggested many a time, along with the ability to simply delete specific shows.

#469 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Not that I am aware of. Been suggested many a time, along with the ability to simply delete specific shows.

Actually, there is a filter to view just what is "ready to download", which would be what is on the nomad.
DogLover

My Setup

#470 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Actually, there is a filter to view just what is "ready to download", which would be what is on the nomad.

Well, yes, indeed there is, but that list doesn't really show "what's going on"- but a good catch for those who might've overlooked that.

#471 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

You can see how much of the space on your nomad is used. Could it be that some old shows were deleted for space?

Setup

Ken

#472 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

So how long do the transcodes/downloads?

Curious about how Nomad is overall as a place shifting solution, compared to getting an external Sling box, in terms of cost, convenience/time, reliability, quality.

Or some cheaper packages like the Vulkano boxes.

Or transcoding downloaded content for your mobile device. For instance, I've played around with Air Video and Zumocast on the iPad, more transcoding and loading onto the iPad than streaming to it. Took a LONG time, movies would take more than real-time and some higher bitrate files would not play back well on iPad 1.

Of course, all these are political restrictions because of the media companies, probably why these solutions are technical compromises at best -- for instance, why not be able to directly transfer files on your DVR over to your device, or maybe to a computer for doing the transcoding if necessary?

Now the MPAA is using scare tactics about how piracy is like terrorism while at the same time lobbying for Draconian laws. We consumers pay big money to get this content but they obviously want more. They don't want you to be able to place shift with the content you already paid for, they want you to buy a digital copy or a DVD/Blu-Ray if you also want to watch on a mobile device or while away from home.

#473 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Received an update to version 1.0.1.51 of the PC nomad app today!

#474 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

So how long do the transcodes/downloads?

As noted several times, transcodes take about 1:1... One hour show takes about one hour. Downloads take much, much less time.

Curious about how Nomad is overall as a place shifting solution, compared to getting an external Sling box, in terms of cost, convenience/time, reliability, quality.

Nomad is cheaper than HD sling (slightly more than SD sling), works when you have no internet connection on the remote end. Sling lets you watch 100% of your programming (Nomad doesn't). Sling requires no pre-preparation or downloading and can let you watch things that have aired since you left home. It needs an internet connection with decent bandwidth on both ends. (I have a Sling. It is amazing in most hotels I've been to.)

Or some cheaper packages like the Vulkano boxes.

Generally those are consider Sling-like, but most people prefer Slings. I say most because it's not true of all. The overpriced Sling clients are a lot of the reason; the reliability is another. There are some nice features on the more expensive Vulkanos. I'm not an expert on why you'd choose one; I trusted the sum total of a few reviews to know a Sling was a better bet for me.

Or transcoding downloaded content for your mobile device. For instance, I've played around with Air Video and Zumocast on the iPad, more transcoding and loading onto the iPad than streaming to it. Took a LONG time, movies would take more than real-time and some higher bitrate files would not play back well on iPad 1.

If you want to transcode DVR content, get a Nomad. It just does it. Very simple and effective, works on nearly all your content on the DVR (not VOD, for example). Life is too short to screw around replicating those functions. Nomad at $150 will just handle it.

Of course, all these are political restrictions because of the media companies, probably why these solutions are technical compromises at best -- for instance, why not be able to directly transfer files on your DVR over to your device, or maybe to a computer for doing the transcoding if necessary?

Well, direct DVR transfer to phones would result in lots of consumer unhappiness. Most people lack a lot of storage on their phones. The bitrate used for HD on most DVRs would mean very full phones very quickly. Bad in a consumer product. Transcoding is a necessary evil, I'm afraid. Now, yes, your PC is going to outdo Nomad. As for why they didn't do this, they'd have had to engineer the solution, bolt it down with DRM, and then support people's PCs.

With Nomad, the bolting down is easier, but more importantly, the support is easier. The closed-box approach meets the needs of more consumers than the more-flexible PC-based approach would. I'm not saying I like it that way, but it's why it is that way.

Now the MPAA is using scare tactics about how piracy is like terrorism while at the same time lobbying for Draconian laws. We consumers pay big money to get this content but they obviously want more. They don't want you to be able to place shift with the content you already paid for, they want you to buy a digital copy or a DVD/Blu-Ray if you also want to watch on a mobile device or while away from home.

They are giving away digital copies now with UltraViolet so I can't say I agree with the latter half of your tirade, there. But I can agree with your general sentiment that the MPAA is out of control.

#475 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Received an update to version 1.0.1.51 of the PC nomad app today!

I upgraded and again had the nightmare of 2-4-2 and 2-0-2 errors.

I tried retry and restart. No go.

I uninstalled, but left the user settings. Same error.

Finally I uninstalled and removed the user settings. When I activated, it required a new license. Not sure why, since I'm on the same PC. Maybe I used a new Device name?

Anyway, it's finally working again. Have you found any changes?

Setup

Ken

#476 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

I was on the Morega site checking on the progress on an iPad app, and I see they have lots of open developer and QA positions. I think that's a bad sign for getting quick upgrades for nomad.
Morega

Setup

Ken

#477 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

Not really. Well, some things I've noticed but I'm not sure if they're new features or I just discovered them. It seems to go from offline to online quicker than before.

If I use the "Get Log" command it gives me a 50 MB or so file of binary data - not sure if the log is supposed to be used by some other program, but it doesn't seem to be text.

Also, I've noticed that programs that have finished preparing and have downloaded still appear on the preparing list, but with no "Waiting to prepare" message next to them, if I quit and restart the Nomad PC app, the list only shows episodes that are actually preparing or waiting to be prepared. For instance, the list showed 7 shows - nothing in the download section, with three programs listed with no status next to them on the prepare list and 1 preparing and 3 waiting to prepare. When I restart it shows only 4 items in the drop down box - so there seems to be a problem with correctly displaying the download/prepare list.

Edit: I think the reason that they aren't showing up as downloading is that they were already downloaded - I had to reattach my 500 GB drive because it turns out it wasn't actually using it, so the Nomad is transcoding shows that it had previously transcoded and downloaded to my client, but aren't on the Nomad anymore.

Edited by Fraaaak, 10 December 2011 - 12:42 AM.
update

#478 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I was on the Morega site checking on the progress on an iPad app, and I see they have lots of open developer and QA positions. I think that's a bad sign for getting quick upgrades for nomad.
Morega

Hmm... I wonder if by senior mac developer they mean "old" - if that's the case, I'm in!

#479 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

They are giving away digital copies now with UltraViolet so I can't say I agree with the latter half of your tirade, there. But I can agree with your general sentiment that the MPAA is out of control.

I was referring to the fact that you pay a lot for TV service but if you want to view those shows on a mobile device, you have to pay again, either buy a disc or download from a service like iTunes.

Do TV show box sets also include the UV digital copy? And is it a copy or is it a stream in the "cloud" that they can shut down at some point?

#480 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

OK, so it just works over ethernet, doesn't require the WholeHomeDVR networking?

And it transcodes from the actual file rather than the component video output, which is what Sling and Vulkano does.

spam firewall