Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

The iPhone/Touch app already work on the iPad. How hard is it to just create the proper resolution GUI graphics? It's not like they have to reinvent the wheel.

How do you know they aren't integrating it into he iPad app we currently have. That would be awesome and I hope that's what they end up doing!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,885 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

The video player will be the same on an iPad native app. Compare the video with HBO/Go or any of the others -- the overall effect won't be very different.

I just returned from a long weekend with nomad. Perfect! The condo had wifi but not good enough to support streaming via Netflix or HBO/Go. So Nomad fit the bill!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#523 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'm looking to purchase Nomad and am wondering how it works with the IOS devices. For example:
- once it has the content on the Nomad device, does it synch to the IOS device once it is connected - or do I need to copy the content into iTunes for it to synch to my iPad?
- is it a wireless synch?
- will the content be backed up to my iTunes (via iCloud or my iTunes device)?
- how long with the content stay on my IOS device?

I'm excited about what this means for me as I travel alot and having the recorded content available on my iPad would be wonderful. If there is a guide or site that you would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

#524 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

No, you don't use iTunes with Nomad. It syncs on your LAN only, and backups I don't even care about- don't know if it does or doesn't- because they are on the DVRs. I don't think there's a way to put it/get it on the cloud. The content is there for 30 days.

As to guide, afaik, here is about the best.

Enjoy!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#525 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

I'm looking to purchase Nomad and am wondering how it works with the IOS devices. For example:
- once it has the content on the Nomad device, does it synch to the IOS device once it is connected - or do I need to copy the content into iTunes for it to synch to my iPad?

You tell he app to copy something from any DVR. It then copies it to the Nomad h/w. Takes about an hour for a one hour show. Then it wirelessly moves it to your ipad. About 10 mins for this step for an hour show.

- is it a wireless synch?

Yes

- will the content be backed up to my iTunes (via iCloud or my iTunes device)?

iTunes is not used

- how long with the content stay on my IOS device?

Content is there for 30 days or until you delete from the DVR. If more than 30 days pass and its till on the DVR you can re-copy.

I'm excited about what this means for me as I travel alot and having the recorded content available on my iPad would be wonderful. If there is a guide or site that you would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

I travel alot and its an awesome product.

#526 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for your feedback and answers. A couple of more questions -
  • Apps and their data on the IOS device do backup to your PC pr iCloud (for restore purposes). Does anyone know how much storage a 1 hour show (does HD and/or resolution make a difference) takes on an IOS device?
  • Has anyone expanded their storage on nomad using the USB expansion? If so, what size HDs have you used and/or are their restrictions (ex. the DVR will default to the connected drive vs. expanding if you use one on that device)? How large is the internal hard drive on the nomad?
  • Any comments on what is occurring during the 1 hour conversion? I'm suspecting it is condensing the normal show format down to a smaller configuration (normal iTunes movies are 1.3-1.8GB in size). If DirecTV is committed to improving Nomad then perhaps they'll improve speed and other functionality in the future? Thoughts?

This is great feedback and I'm happy to hear it works so well for NR4P... Having this would allow me to watch my recorded content on the road more. I think I'll order mine right away to take advantage of it on my upcoming trips.

Thanks again!

-Bob

#527 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

A 1 hour program on the PC client takes about 5-600 MB. Since a transcoded program is also loaded to the IOS client with no changes, it should be the same size. I haven't downloaded many SD programs but I expect they would be less.

I've added a 16 GB USB stick to mine. I know of some that have put a 1 or 2 TB harddrive and it works fine. LOTS of watching to do! Programs are a first in / first out on nomad and are deleted if you delete them from the DVR.

The transcoding process is just reducing the resolution for download to the mobile device. I expect we'll see some future enhancements, but PQ on the iPad matches any streaming or downloaded content that I've seen.

If you travel and want to watch your DVR content, go for it!

#528 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

• Apps and their data on the IOS device do backup to your PC pr iCloud (for restore purposes).

Yes that is correct but for Nomad its irrelevant. Its just taking up space on a backup operation.
Nomad content on the iOS device (or PC) expires in 30 days. You can't save it and reuse it forever.

At the end of the 30 days, you need to go back on Wi-Fi and download it again. If its on the DVR, no problem. But if gone from the DVR, Nomad doesn't have access to it.

#529 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks, Dennis and NR4P!

One final question - does adding additional space via USB invalidate the internal HD or is it smart enough to expand/contract if the unit is connected or disconnected?

Looks like I will need to place my order. Only the DirecTV site was showing it being available.

Thanks!

-Bob

#530 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

One final question - does adding additional space via USB invalidate the internal HD or is it smart enough to expand/contract if the unit is connected or disconnected?
-Bob

I added a thumb drive, and it was added to the available storage. It shows 24GB total available. You don't need a lot of storage, since the transcoded programs are all that is kept.

I love the Auto-Download feature. It will transcode and automatically download shows that are flagged. You just fire-up nomad when you get home, and they start downloading.

Setup

Ken

#531 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

I added a thumb drive, and it was added to the available storage. It shows 24GB total available. You don't need a lot of storage, since the transcoded programs are all that is kept.

I love the Auto-Download feature. It will transcode and automatically download shows that are flagged. You just fire-up nomad when you get home, and they start downloading.

Thanks, Ken. I will put a larger drive on the box when it arrives and see how things go. With 2 DVRs it will be interesting to see if I can get both to populate nomad for me as well.

-Bob

#532 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Anyone know when an iPad version might be available? The iPhone/iPod version isn't optimized for the iPad, unfortunately.

-Bob

#533 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

With 2 DVRs it will be interesting to see if I can get both to populate nomad for me as well.

I have two DVR's and programs from both appear on the list. We have His and Hers DVR's. :)

Setup

Ken

#534 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have two DVR's and programs from both appear on the list. We have His and Hers DVR's. :)

I have mine and mine/my son's, but also never a problem with nomad seeing them both.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#535 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Five here and it shows all five. No OTA or recorded VODs / PPVs.

#536 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

My nomad just arrived. I wonder how this will compare to "DirecTV Anywhere" as they were discussing in a separate thread. For now I'm downloading and excited abouttaking it with me on the road!

#537 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask my question in, but I've got my fingers crossed that it is.

Got my Nomad on Monday and set it up. I plan to mainly use it in conjunction with my iPads, so I have only installed the software apps on those devices. I'm not understanding how the process of transferring content to my iPads is supposed to work.

I was able to go in and designate shows to be managed on an ongoing basis. This started the processing of those shows on the Nomad. There were 19 of them currently on my DVRs, so I knew this would take some time.

As far as the Nomad's processing, that seemed to go as I expected. It was about a day until the entire queue of programs were processed.

I loaded up the Nomad app on my iPad and could see where it was transferring a show. I closed my iPad cover, plugged it in to charge, and left it overnight. I was surprised to see the next morning that no shows were yet on my iPad. I looked at the queue and saw one was in process with 10 minutes remaining, so I left the Nomad app active and on my screen for 10 minutes until that finished. I then started watching the program.

Fast forward a day when I was at work until 10 p.m. I get home, plug my iPad into a charger, and go to bed. I wake up the next morning (today) expecting that additional shows would be on the iPad. Nope, still just the one I had watched being loaded the day previous. Other ones were still in the queue and started being transferred when I looked at the queue status.

Is this way this is supposed to work? I'm not 'killing' the Nomad app, so I assumed it would continue running in the background and keep transferring content on an ongoing basis. It doesn't seem to be doing that, though. It seems to only be transferring content when I'm actively looking at the queue screen.

Answers? Recommendations?

Thanks.

#538 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Is this way this is supposed to work? I'm not 'killing' the Nomad app, so I assumed it would continue running in the background and keep transferring content on an ongoing basis. It doesn't seem to be doing that, though. It seems to only be transferring content when I'm actively looking at the queue screen.

It does not download programs in the background. You need to leave your iPad on and running the nomad app to get the downloads. I just leave my iPad plugged in while the downloads complete. Luckily, the downloads are pretty speedy. The transcoding takes the most time, and you don't need to be connected for that process.

Setup

Ken

#539 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

It does not download programs in the background. You need to leave your iPad on and running the nomad app to get the downloads. I just leave my iPad plugged in while the downloads complete. Luckily, the downloads are pretty speedy. The transcoding takes the most time, and you don't need to be connected for that process.

Thanks for clarifying that. That is really not handy. Certainly hope that is something being looked at for a future refinement.

#540 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. That is really not handy. Certainly hope that is something being looked at for a future refinement.

I feel the same. There is a lengthy wish-list for nomad. We do know they have plans for enhancements, but specifics are kept quiet.

Setup

Ken

spam firewall