Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

I feel the same. There is a lengthy wish-list for nomad. We do know they have plans for enhancements, but specifics are kept quiet.

I believe they can address this in future releases as IOS 5 made much of this possible for other applications (apps in the background).

What I'd like to see is a nomad iPad HD version that has the menus and other items running in the iPad's resolution framework vs. the subsumed delivery we see now. Speed wise it seems to work well and I'll get my first taste of usability very soon. I would have recorded more on my DVRs if I had purchased this unit sooner - my problem is one of not being around to watch what I record otherwise.

-Bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

I believe they can address this in future releases as IOS 5 made much of this possible for other applications (apps in the background).

What I'd like to see is a nomad iPad HD version that has the menus and other items running in the iPad's resolution framework vs. the subsumed delivery we see now. Speed wise it seems to work well and I'll get my first taste of usability very soon. I would have recorded more on my DVRs if I had purchased this unit sooner - my problem is one of not being around to watch what I record otherwise.

-Bob

Look how long they talked about Nomad before they came out with it.

Look how long there were all kinds of wish lists for the HR2x and a lot of those items still aren't implemented.

Speed is not exactly their forte.

#543 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

-Bob

Ios5 isn't really as multitasking as people believe I have found. I don't know of any app that will sync or download in the background without the app being active when it starts, and most the time till its also done downloading. Do you? I'm curious if anyone has found a way to do that yet.

#544 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Ios5 isn't really as multitasking as people believe I have found. I don't know of any app that will sync or download in the background without the app being active when it starts, and most the time till its also done downloading. Do you? I'm curious if anyone has found a way to do that yet.

Newsstand does this. If you start a download, it will complete in the background, even if you switch away.

From my reading, nomad is not the kind of task Apple wants running in the background, since it uses a lot of resources. They define very specific types of applications that can run in background like VOIP, Audio, Location Services and Newsstand. I expect Apple would need to approve this use of a background task.

Even if it can be done, there is still the question of will nomad implement it. It's a much more complex application design. For me, running the app for an hour when I get home is not a severe hardship.

Setup

Ken

#545 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,863 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

One workaround is install the client on a PC and select the programs you want. You can even cancel the download process if you close the PC client and re-open later.

The programs will continue to transcode on the nomad.

Then on the iPad, select the ones you want to download- they're easy to find with the 'Ready to download' filter - it's around 5 minutes for a 30 minute program. But keep the ipad on during this time.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#546 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

For me the issue is one of 'workflow' and what I've come to expect. Most of my iPad content (and I use it for email, social media, books, and a wide variety of applications), I have become accustomed to having new content pushed to me. I don't want to 'babysit' my iPad. I want to pay it attention when I want to use it. To have to remind myself to download content to it, and then monitor that downloading process, breaks my preferred style of using the device.

I can see where using Nomad to transfer content to a PC might be different as you are using it in a different way and have the ability to multitask. With a mobile device where you can do only one thing at a time, having to manage the transfer to the exclusion of being able to do anything else with the device creates an entirely different method of interaction.

#547 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

I don't see a problem in getting up in the morning after selecting programs to transcode the previous night, turning on the ipad, select several programs for download, go take a shower, get dressed, and leave an hour later with programs on the nomad client for the ipad.

No babysitting necessary, and you can't use it in the shower!

I actually have to download a PDF of my local paper everyday - oh, the horror!!! But it's quicker than walking out to get the paper! (which I no longer get except weekends.)

The books that I've purchased from Apple or Amazon have to be selected to be 'pushed' to me. No different than nomad.

#548 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

I don't see a problem in getting up in the morning after selecting programs to transcode the previous night, turning on the ipad, select several programs for download, go take a shower, get dressed, and leave an hour later with programs on the nomad client for the ipad.

No babysitting necessary, and you can't use it in the shower!

I actually have to download a PDF of my local paper everyday - oh, the horror!!! But it's quicker than walking out to get the paper! (which I no longer get except weekends.)

The books that I've purchased from Apple or Amazon have to be selected to be 'pushed' to me. No different than nomad.

I'll have to check what I'm doing, but if I do what you've described I don't get content. My device, based on the security profile of my employer, will time out and 'sleep' after a few minutes of inactivity. As a result with mine if I don't in some way interact with the device every few minutes it sleeps and the transfer is aborted.

#549 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I generally have mine plugged in while it's downloading and it doesn't timeout. (I also have to do that when Tune-in-Radio is recording a show.)

But the iPad will be fully charged as you run out the door!

#550 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'll have to check what I'm doing, but if I do what you've described I don't get content. My device, based on the security profile of my employer, will time out and 'sleep' after a few minutes of inactivity. As a result with mine if I don't in some way interact with the device every few minutes it sleeps and the transfer is aborted.

It should not timeout, mine does not, even with an idle lock set. Did you test it with the nomad app and this was your observation?

Setup

Ken

#551 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Very little interaction time with Nomad is required.

When you select a new program to download, the first thing that happens is the app requests that the hardware prepare/transcode the content. Once this is done, you will notice the Nomad hardware blue light (one on the left) flashes very slowly. At this point you could turn off the ipad/iphone. The time for this step is about 1:1 with the program.

Anytime after that, bring up the Nomad app and complete the transfer. The app then has to be up and running during this phase, but its quick.

#552 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

My tests a month or so ago indicated it came out to about 15% of the time (length) of the recording to download it. YMMV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#553 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never

I guess you could do that every time your using the nomad app if thats your only option.

#554 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never

I guess you could do that every time your using the nomad app if thats your only option.

I'm guessing that the security profile of the device has an impact on this as I do not have a 'Never' option. I have 5 choices, the longest of which is 15 minutes.

I did test this again last night, and I don't think the device locked while the Nomad app was the active program. (Since I was looking at and holding the device in my hand, I don't know if I might have touched the screen or otherwise 'kept it alive' manually during the 30 minutes or so while programs transferred.)

#555 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

It's not very different for getting content on the iPad from any other program and thank heaven, we don't have to go via iTunes!

I use GoodReader a lot for doc, manuals, videos, the daily paper, and you can use its built in webserver to 'push' from a PC browser or use its HTTP or FTP clients to pull content into GR.

And with Nomad, you can always watch something while the download is going on!

#556 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm guessing that the security profile of the device has an impact on this as I do not have a 'Never' option. I have 5 choices, the longest of which is 15 minutes.

I did test this again last night, and I don't think the device locked while the Nomad app was the active program. (Since I was looking at and holding the device in my hand, I don't know if I might have touched the screen or otherwise 'kept it alive' manually during the 30 minutes or so while programs transferred.)

It took 30 minutes to transfer? I scream when it takes 5 minutes for a 30 minute episode what was your show like 3 hrs long?

#557 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

It took 30 minutes to transfer? I scream when it takes 5 minutes for a 30 minute episode what was your show like 3 hrs long?

I've found that the device reports about 7 minutes to transfer 1 hour of programming on my network. (I haven't timed it independently to see if that timing is accurate.) In my case, I was still trying to get my initial set of programming transferred to the device, which consisted of 9 1-hour shows. I transferred five of them in the session reported above.

To me this points to a reason why perhaps it might seem inordinately long to me. I'm more likely to transfer a batch of 10-15 hours of shows one day to view over the next week. That means 70+ minutes of transfer time. I'd love to be able to plug in my device at the end of the day, load up Nomad, and then go to bed. Unfortunately, if I do that, my screen stays on all night, and I really don't want to do that.

Just to be clear, I like Nomad and think it has potential, but I do look forward to forthcoming improvements.

#558 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

I've found that the device reports about 7 minutes to transfer 1 hour of programming on my network. (I haven't timed it independently to see if that timing is accurate.) In my case, I was still trying to get my initial set of programming transferred to the device, which consisted of 9 1-hour shows. I transferred five of them in the session reported above.

To me this points to a reason why perhaps it might seem inordinately long to me. I'm more likely to transfer a batch of 10-15 hours of shows one day to view over the next week. That means 70+ minutes of transfer time. I'd love to be able to plug in my device at the end of the day, load up Nomad, and then go to bed. Unfortunately, if I do that, my screen stays on all night, and I really don't want to do that.

Just to be clear, I like Nomad and think it has potential, but I do look forward to forthcoming improvements.

Yes I wonder why the details on future plans for our investment are kept under wraps.

I use a Time Capsule (dual-band 802.11n) and the nomad plugged in a switch with my receivers connected to the time capsule and they are pretty zippy to download you should look into your network shouldn't take that long i don't think.

#559 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yes I wonder why the details on future plans for our investment are kept under wraps.

I use a Time Capsule (dual-band 802.11n) and the nomad plugged in a switch with my receivers connected to the time capsule and they are pretty zippy to download you should look into your network shouldn't take that long i don't think.

Same here... I'm not happy yet with the iPad interface though. I'd like to see an iPad version delivered soon.

Good stuff, though!

-Bob

#560 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

One enhancement I'd like to see is a flag to set for when you are off your home network..that way, you wouldn't have to wait to start a program while your device is searching for a Nomad. And an iPad version and I'm an even happier camper.

Quick ? - I know the picture quality isn't the best as the screen grows in size. Has anyone ever used the Apple composite a/v connector to play Nomad content on say a hotel room TV? Is it even possible?

spam firewall