Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Put down the iPad without closing the app, and work up this morning to a dead iPad. The app cancels autolock, even when a video is not running. So, be advised... On the flip side, it DOES mean that you can select your shows for prep and downloading at night, and wake up to find them nicely ready to go on the iPad in the AM -- provided you leave it plugged in to the charger.

I think the ideal solution is like the new iOS WiFi Sync, auto-download in the background when on a charger and on WiFi only. Manual is all other cases. That will solve this issue--that and now forcing the lockout obviously.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mnordberg

mnordberg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

8. Even with the Nomad crunching away at prepping a list of programs, I did not detect any slowdown on the DVR's while watching TV -- the upside of the real-time prep is a relatively low overhead load on the serving DVR.

Just got the Nomad about an hour ago and it does look like the impact on the network is noticeable. I have 2 HD DVRs connected via wireless and nomad connected via a switch with the wireless router and during the preparing step, it is about 7Mbit/sec of usage for an HD tv show. During the download step from Nomad to my PC it is about 10Mbit/sec of usage for the transcoded HD TV show.

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

Michael-

Fine report!

The Ready to D/l dialog selection requires you to then select Done.
Many of us feel it should bump you right to the selection rather than hitting a non-obvious additional button.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

4. Do not check your sports scores on the iPhone in the middle of a download. :-) You will have to re-start the download.

The iOS device has to be in the foreground when content is downloading. There may be a way to work around this in the future but at the moment there is not.

5. Watched a show on the iPad last night -- just because I could! Put down the iPad without closing the app, and work up this morning to a dead iPad. The app cancels autolock, even when a video is not running. So, be advised... On the flip side, it DOES mean that you can select your shows for prep and downloading at night, and wake up to find them nicely ready to go on the iPad in the AM -- provided you leave it plugged in to the charger.

You can transcode without the iOS device being on, but you cannot download without it being on. So maybe set up a bunch of shows to transcode and lock the iOS device. Come back later and download what you need.

Alternately you can set up transcoding using the PC client and download to iOS when ready.

Question for the group: Anyone know what the FRONT USB is for? Manual sez additional storage should be connected to the REAR USB.

I don't think it can be used for much at this time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   xarxa

xarxa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

I've found the my first program that refuses to transcode or prepare and therefore won't download to any of my registered devices. It is the following...

HDNet Test Pattern 10 min 0 sec recorded from HDN 5/30/2009 6:30a

This is a short, ten minute, set of HD test patterns that HDNet would run ocassionaly. Many of us on DBStalk would record it, save it and use it to calibrate an HDTV.

From the Nomad client it just sits there saying "WAITING TO PREPARE" and never finishes. I've let it sit overnight and nothing happens.

I'm wondering if it has to do something with it being ten minutes or maybe it's age?

Anyone else run into this issue or other programs that refuse to prepare or download?

This is the same problem I kept running into over the weekend using the iPhone app on my iPad 2. I finally got the Nomad to prepare and download some programs. However, for a few programs, the status bars would disappear and it would either just say "Waiting to Prepare" or stay in the Preparation column. I would leave it like this for several hours or even overnight and it wouldn't change or ever download to the iPad. I would cancel the recordings and quit the app and unplug the Nomad and try again, but eventually would get the same issue.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?

On a separate note, does anyone have any insight when the iPad-native app will get released?

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,180 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

This is the same problem I kept running into over the weekend using the iPhone app on my iPad 2. I finally got the Nomad to prepare and download some programs. However, for a few programs, the status bars would disappear and it would either just say "Waiting to Prepare" or stay in the Preparation column. I would leave it like this for several hours or even overnight and it wouldn't change or ever download to the iPad. I would cancel the recordings and quit the app and unplug the Nomad and try again, but eventually would get the same issue.

Two possible reasons come to mind. If someone in the house is watching any recording that is being served by the DVR the shows you are trying to transcode are on, Nomad will take a back seat until that DVR is no longer acting as a server to someone else. Since you went over night without being able to transcode, that's probably not the case. I would check to make sure you didn't leave a client STB in a "paused" state and turn the TV off, however.

Second reason is there's a satellite glitch in the recording that is causing the transcode to fail. E.g., Pixelation or drop-outs. I'd try playing back the recording to see if you can spot it. If you have a queue of recordings not processing, you'll need to manually cancel the "stuck" recording before Nomad will move on to the next recording. I'm hopeful this is an issue they'll address in a future release.
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

I'm quite disappointed with the speed of this process. Looks like it is going to take 60 minutes to prepare a 60 minute show. I thought that adding a hardware device such as the nomad would have some positive effects. Why does it take so long? Is it going to get better?

#48 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Some of the CES reports from back in January indicated possibly 50% of realtime - an hour program in 30 minutes plus the download time. So maybe 40 minutes instead of 70 for an hour program.

But you really don't have to babysit the process. Start the download on a PC client or queue up several for overnight, leave the mobile devices connected to a charger and then grab and go the next morning.

If it's something you really want to have on a long trip, download it a day or so before your trip in case there's a glitch.

$150 still doesn't buy a lot of CPU power!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#49 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Just read parts of "First Look" and see it is mentioned that it's real-time for processing. I should have more thouroughly read the manual. I'd kind-of expect this from a software app, but I honestly thought it would be a speedier process. I would like to have been able to dump a couple of movies down to my laptop. The amount of time this is going to take in preperation is considerable.

Maybe something to add to a wish list somewhere is to send a recording to Nomad when you set it up to record on the DVR.

#50 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

With movies, there isn't much you can do, but with series, you can set them to auto-download so they transcode right after they record.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#51 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

My Test Pattern recording is from 6/23/2009...channel 79 - that was still MPEG2 days, IIRC.

Has anyone noticed that the scale for the overscan at the bottom of the screen is wrong? The main grid line is 8, so the two smaller lines below should be 6 and 4, but they are 8 and 6!

#52 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

My nomad is at home waiting for me to return. I did notice on my DirecTV account, it shows an Activate button for my nomad. It's on the My Services tab under nomad mobile DVR.

What's that about?

Setup

Ken

#53 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

My nomad installation was relatively painless and everything seems to be working. I know the nomad "system" relies on the DVR playlist but it's too bad you can't also review & select from the "To Do" list to facilitate the download/prep process on programs that haven't been recorded yet. Example - Would like to "flag" tonight's MNF program (Bears v. Lions), have nomad wait until the recording is complete (or, better yet, start the download/prep process DURING the recording) and then complete the download/prep AND transfer to my Ipad 2 overnight. I could then leave on a trip the next morning without having to perform any additional steps and the lengthy download/prep process could be performed during overnight hours.

I did discover you can "manually" start the download/prep process from the client ONCE the recording begins (i.e., item appears on DVR playlist) but, in my example above, I would have to remember to access the client AFTER MNF begins later tonight. Another option would be to "expand" the DVR recording options once a nomad is detected on the network and allow this "flagging" process to be done at the DVR when you schedule the recording. This approach could also be expanded to allow a user to schedule a recording AND nomad download/prep from a remote location via their Ipad/Iphone/Android phone. When they return home, all they would have to do is run the nomad app and complete the device transfer process.

#54 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

My nomad is at home waiting for me to return. I did notice on my DirecTV account, it shows an Activate button for my nomad. It's on the My Services tab under nomad mobile DVR.

What's that about?

I'd be inclined to ignore it, as I doubt it does anything at all. But if the normal install and d/l and play doesn't work, well, then.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#55 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

My nomad installation was relatively painless and everything seems to be working. I know the nomad "system" relies on the DVR playlist but it's too bad you can't also review & select from the "To Do" list to facilitate the download/prep process on programs that haven't been recorded yet. Example - Would like to "flag" tonight's MNF program (Bears v. Lions), have nomad wait until the recording is complete (or, better yet, start the download/prep process DURING the recording) and then complete the download/prep AND transfer to my Ipad 2 overnight. I could then leave on a trip the next morning without having to perform any additional steps and the lengthy download/prep process could be performed during overnight hours.

I did discover you can "manually" start the download/prep process from the client ONCE the recording begins (i.e., item appears on DVR playlist) but, in my example above, I would have to remember to access the client AFTER MNF begins later tonight. Another option would be to "expand" the DVR recording options once a nomad is detected on the network and allow this "flagging" process to be done at the DVR when you schedule the recording. This approach could also be expanded to allow a user to schedule a recording AND nomad download/prep from a remote location via their Ipad/Iphone/Android phone. When they return home, all they would have to do is run the nomad app and complete the device transfer process.

That would massively increase the utility of Nomad, it seems to me. It would be best if you could just flag something directly on the DVR, but absent that, pre-informing Nomad would be middle ground.

I think if you could not do it on the DVR but could on the website/apps, scheduling new recordings any other way would start to become less common for Nomad owners -- it'd be too nice to be able to hit "Record this and get it ready for Nomad".

#56 OFFLINE   mcap42

mcap42

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

Once I found out that the Nomad will download directly to the iPhone without the need for iTunes as a go-between, I decided I did not need the app on my PC anymore. However, I cannot find how to deactivate a device. Does anyone know how to do that?

#57 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

That would massively increase the utility of Nomad, it seems to me. It would be best if you could just flag something directly on the DVR, but absent that, pre-informing Nomad would be middle ground.

I like the idea. The DVR sees Nomad on the home network and when you select record on your remote, an additional choice to have it grabbed by Nomad at the end of the recording would be useful.

#58 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

Remember, this is the first iteration of the software and there should be updates coming in the coming months. (and hopefully enhancements)

Your current options (pre-nomad) are to play a recording to a dvd-recorder and take that dvd with you on a laptop with very bad battery life or rip it the next day (mostly real-time) and copy that to the laptop or possibly the iPad or iPhone.

Several hours of manipulating things to get an hour of video on your mobile device.

nomad now turns that into a few clicks on the same mobile device.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#59 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Nomad setup fine and works well with my ipad. Downloaded the PC ver to my win7 machine and try to activate. I get a message unable to activate. If nomad is not setup correct it would not work with the ipad. Why is it our Apple products work and my Microsoft stuff dose not.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#60 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Nomad setup fine and works well with my ipad. Downloaded the PC ver to my win7 machine and try to activate. I get a message unable to activate. If nomad is not setup correct it would not work with the ipad. Why is it our Apple products work and my Microsoft stuff dose not.

Is the PC on the same router as the Nomad hardware? Not being fed by a separate switch or access point?

And did you try it with any firewall off, just for activation.

spam firewall