Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

Connected to the same wifi as the ipad.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Connected to the same wifi as the ipad.

Seems strange.

In an earlier post, someone wrote that apostrophe's in client names are an issue. Is it like Campbell's PC ?

If so, can you rename it without the apostrophe?

#63 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

Just letters. This PC will be replaced by a Mac soon. My wife got a Mac last year to replace her old laptop and I have not needed to help her or fix it once. That was something I did about every day with the old PC.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Nomad setup fine and works well with my ipad. Downloaded the PC ver to my win7 machine and try to activate. I get a message unable to activate. If nomad is not setup correct it would not work with the ipad. Why is it our Apple products work and my Microsoft stuff dose not.

As an Apple fanatic, I will refrain from the obvious.....

But: It's the software on the client that also has to be "right" with the world. Yes, nomad is working for you, but..... There have been a number of cases where it's been working on one client and not the other in the same household.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#65 OFFLINE   xarxa

xarxa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

This is the same problem I kept running into over the weekend using the iPhone app on my iPad 2. I finally got the Nomad to prepare and download some programs. However, for a few programs, the status bars would disappear and it would either just say "Waiting to Prepare" or stay in the Preparation column. I would leave it like this for several hours or even overnight and it wouldn't change or ever download to the iPad. I would cancel the recordings and quit the app and unplug the Nomad and try again, but eventually would get the same issue.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?

On a separate note, does anyone have any insight when the iPad-native app will get released?

I was finally able to isolate that the issue I'm having is that the Nomad gets stuck on the "Waiting to Prepare" for any program that comes from one of my two DVR's.

I have a HR20-700 in my main room and a HR23-700 in my bedroom. Both are networked via DECA and the iPhone app on my iPad recognizes the playlists from both. I don't have the Whole Home DVR service activated, but both DVR's are set to allow external access - my understanding is that you don't have to subscribe to the Whole Home DVR service for Nomad to work.

However, none of the programs on my HR23-700 will prepare (and therefore not download). When I select a program from my HR23-700, it starts out okay and shows a status bar with how much time is left in preparation for about 1-2 minutes. Then, the status bar disappears and it goes back to the "Waiting to Prepare" status where nothing happens and it never gets prepared or ready to download. I reset my HR23-700 and power cycled the Nomad to no avail.

Programs from my HR20-700 work just fine with no issue in preparing and downloading.

What am I doing wrong here? Any thoughts or insight you can share would be greatly appreciated.

#66 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Can the nomad be connected to the extra ethernet port on the back of a HR-23?

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

#67 OFFLINE   bslayton

bslayton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

I can't believe how fast it arrived!

One issue is that downloading it to my Vista Laptop kills the wireless connection. It will download for about 5 to 10 minutes before the notebook disconnects from the wireless network. I have not tried a hard wire yet but will give that a shot tomorrow. As soon as the wife gives me time on the notebook! ;)

However, downloaded the IOS app to my IPAD and that worked fine. Downloaded my 1 hour show in about 10 to 15 minutes.

Great idea! I hope they have the full IPAD version ready by the time I go on a 14 hour flight next month! :)

b.
HR20-100 --> HP MD6580

HR20-100 --> Vizio SV420XVT

#68 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:17 AM

Remember, this is the first iteration of the software and there should be updates coming in the coming months. (and hopefully enhancements)

Your current options (pre-nomad) are to play a recording to a dvd-recorder and take that dvd with you on a laptop with very bad battery life or rip it the next day (mostly real-time) and copy that to the laptop or possibly the iPad or iPhone.

Several hours of manipulating things to get an hour of video on your mobile device.

nomad now turns that into a few clicks on the same mobile device.

Yes. Is it OK if every suggestion for improvement isn't followed by this disclaimer, as well? I'm not singling you out, but the same exact thing happened in the previous Nomad thread -- now closed.

If we are allowed to have discussions about future features we might iterate on them and, lo, DirecTV might actually implement them in ways that are fantastic and amazing and even beyond our imagination. The very discussion might benefit the product designers/developers. If every time someone suggests something and someone dares approve of the idea or suggest a small way to make that better there's an effort to shut that down with a "this is 1.0" comment, then we don't get to contriibute -- or really even talk about it.

If we need another thread to talk about the future, that's fine. But please, can we not be automatically shot down every time we dare to?

#69 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

Can the nomad be connected to the extra ethernet port on the back of a HR-23?

No, not if that HR23 is part of your Whole Home DVR network. And even then it's not recommended.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#70 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

Loving nomad so far! Going on a trip this weekend and going to watch 2 movies that have been in my playlist for some time!

Is there any way to check remaining capacity on the nomad? I hooked up a 1TB SATA drive via USB enclosure to the nomad just to see if it would work (and it did, brought up a cool little notification in the Windows client saying that it detected an external drive and asked me if I wanted to format it and use it) but there doesn't seem to be a way to check remaining space...

One suggestion for developers - don't alphabetize movies that start with "The" under "T". That's just silly.

#71 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:15 AM

One suggestion for developers - don't alphabetize movies that start with "The" under "T". That's just silly.

I agree it's silly. It is consistent with the DVRs though.

#72 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,221 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

Check usage and capacity of nomad under Help / System Info.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#73 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

Check usage and capacity of nomad under Help / System Info.

Minor installation issue - Didn't check whether the external hard drive was recognized until this morning and discovered nomad didn't see the external drive yesterday as part of the initial bootup & firmware update. When I disconnected/reconnected the USB cable this morning, I immediately received the "Format?" message on the iPad client app and it now shows 2TB as "Available Storage".

Suggestion - When you perform the initial installation, do NOT connect an external hard drive. Wait until the initial bootup (&, if necessary, any firmware update) process is complete, you've installed the appropriate client app(s) and completed the activation process. THEN connect an external drive and it should be recognized.

#74 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

I've found the my first program that refuses to transcode or prepare and therefore won't download to any of my registered devices. It is the following...

HDNet Test Pattern 10 min 0 sec recorded from HDN 5/30/2009 6:30a

This is a short, ten minute, set of HD test patterns that HDNet would run ocassionaly. Many of us on DBStalk would record it, save it and use it to calibrate an HDTV.

From the Nomad client it just sits there saying "WAITING TO PREPARE" and never finishes. I've let it sit overnight and nothing happens.

I'm wondering if it has to do something with it being ten minutes or maybe it's age?

Anyone else run into this issue or other programs that refuse to prepare or download?

It should not have anything to do with the length of the recording or its age. There are a lot of factors that can cause this problem. If you have an iOS device AND a PC, see if you get the same issue on both. If it is just on one, it could be an issue of network latency or virus/firewall settings on the PC.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#75 OFFLINE   AndrewSi

AndrewSi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

A big +1 on the slow iPhone app startup time - particularly if you're connected to some wifi network other than the Nomad's home network. I timed app startup at 3 minutes 50 sec, when all I wanted to do was launch and watch a video I already had on the device! Turn wifi off (unacceptable workaround) and startup is reduced to eight seconds.

Other than that, it has been a pretty painless Out of the Box Experience, though, which is refreshing. (I had no apostrophes to screw it up.;))

#76 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

A big +1 on the slow iPhone app startup time - particularly if you're connected to some wifi network other than the Nomad's home network. I timed app startup at 3 minutes 50 sec, when all I wanted to do was launch and watch a video I already had on the device! Turn wifi off (unacceptable workaround) and startup is reduced to eight seconds.

Other than that, it has been a pretty painless Out of the Box Experience, though, which is refreshing. (I had no apostrophes to screw it up.;))

So it's looking for the original network maybe while you're on some other network. And taking a good long while to time out internally perhaps. That seems like an easy thing to fix in a future rev: "Stop looking for Nomad/home net when Wifi network ID != Home network ID". (It would cache the ID the first time when you are loading content.)

#77 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

So it's looking for the original network maybe while you're on some other network. And taking a good long while to time out internally perhaps. That seems like an easy thing to fix in a future rev: "Stop looking for Nomad/home net when Wifi network ID != Home network ID". (It would cache the ID the first time when you are loading content.)

Doesn't seem to be the case. Mine starts up way faster at work, on WiFi but outside my home. The only time it's slow is when I'm home and actually on the WiFi.

#78 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

I noticed the other day with iOS 5 using iCloud backups that the Nomad app incorrectly considers all the videos as "app data". As such, it will attempt to back them ALL up to the cloud if you enable iCloud Backups.

So tomorrow when people start upgrading and iClouding, you may get an error that the next backup it too large and it will ask that you pay up for more storage. Here's a better way:

Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup > Manage Storage > This Phone > Backup Options : Nomad : OFF

#79 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,221 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yes, nomad videos are not considered 'videos' in the iPhone / iPad tally of usage.

Outside of nomad, these videos are useless data.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#80 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Originally, I was ok with the 5 device limit. Now it is starting to piss me off. In our house we have 3 laptops, 2 ipads, and 3 iphones. Why do I have to pick and choose?

spam firewall